Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

The only 5 year plan which is public is for the chain as a whole and includes no details for individual parks. We know the chain plans at least one major ride every year for the next several 5 years. But we have no idea which parks are getting them. We know the chain is spending $150 million this year on capital improvements. But we have no idea if Kings Island is getting $5 million or $35 million.

Having said that we can make some pretty good guesses early in the season about who is getting the major ride. Land clearing and teasers from the park would start early. Which points towards Kings Island. For the last several years large attraction means B&M. Which is why I personally think we are getting another B&M. Which based on our current rides leaves me to think giga, or wing. Since we are the only major Cedar Fair park without a Giga my guess is Giga.

• Like 5

The only 5 year plan which is public is for the chain as a whole and includes no details for individual parks. We know the chain plans at least one major ride every year for the next several 5 years. But we have no idea which parks are getting them. We know the chain is spending $150 million this year on capital improvements. But we have no idea if Kings Island is getting $5 million or $35 million.

Having said that we can make some pretty good guesses early in the season about who is getting the major ride. Land clearing and teasers from the park would start early. Which points towards Kings Island. For the last several years large attraction means B&M. Which is why I personally think we are getting another B&M. Which based on our current rides leaves me to think giga, or wing. Since we are the only major Cedar Fair park without a Giga my guess is Giga.

• Like 1

That's what I'm saying, to me a giga just makes sense to me. And it might not mess up the skyline at all, it's a giga coaster it'll go pretty much all over the park lol. The start of it could be over where the old Son of Beast helix was. The woods they are clearing now might not be where the opening drop is. I feel like this is a giga and not just a giga, but I feel like it'll break some kind of record.

• Like 1

The longer this goes without larger amounts of clearcutting, the less I think it's a coaster. Even though a coaster doesn't need as much space in one area as flats, it still needs space. Both for the station and for the ride path. You don't just go through tight paths of trees. Look how far they cleared around Diamondback. Even with a wood coaster you need room for support structure. Not just a single line of trees through the ride path. You need to rip the trunks and root structure out, and put dirt back in, and compact it/let it settle. That's not a very quick process for an area that has been wooded for decades. Now it could be about cutting paths so they could properly survey the path, but it's kinda late in the game to be doing that for 2017 isn't it? Yes theres plenty of time if that's the direction they are going, but it doesn't match what we've seen as far as construction schedules. I'm starting to wonder if this is just either prep for 2018 or something smaller for 2017. PR is about building excitement and increasing attendance. This is definitely doing that. 

• Like 5

Okay, for everyone that does not want to read all these pages, but make claims as to why it will not be a coaster, here's what was said:

Not enough space there - actually more than enough space for a coaster when given the overhead view

Not enough time - With enough money there is (see Gatekeeper)

Banshee was just put in - KI is the 3rd highest grossing park in the Cedar Fair chain, plus they can do whatever they see fit (see Cedar Point installation recently)

No footings yet - see above about "not enough time"

Uneven skyline - this may be true, but as someone already stated, the skyline looks different from different angles (more of an opinion thing imo)

No flats recently - Woodstock gliders?

Everyone has their own opinions, mine being that it will be a coaster. I respect your opinion about it not being a coaster, as that is a very real possibility, but please don't restate something that has already been stated 10 other times unless you bring something new about it to the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

I somewhat agree with the above post made by DiamondBanshee. (not quoting as it would be redundant). However, the only teaser we have gotten so far has been fairly vague and does not offer much in the way of discussion. I was actually surprised that there were no new teasers put up around the park, considering the nature of the PR department. However, the more that I think about it, you guys are lucky to get all of these teasers, as Carowinds didn't say much about Fury325 until about halfway through the year.

-ThatGuy, who thought we would get a new teaser before Pigs Fly.

• Like 5

Okay, for everyone that does not want to read all these pages, but make claims as to why it will not be a coaster, here's what was said:

Not enough space there - actually more than enough space for a coaster when given the overhead view

Banshee was just put in - KI is the 3rd highest grossing park in the Cedar Fair chain, plus they can do whatever they see fit (see Cedar Point installation recently)

Uneven skyline - this may be true, but as someone already stated, the skyline looks different from different angles (more of an opinion thing imo)

Everyone has their own opinions, mine being that it will be a coaster. I respect your opinion about it not being a coaster, as that is a very real possibility, but please don't restate something that has already been stated 10 other times unless you bring something new about it to the table.

Please list off one thing that makes you think it's going to be a coaster. lol

• Like 1

That wasn't my point. My point is please at least skim through the pages before posting your "unique" reason as to why it "definitely is/is not a coaster" because somebody else most likely said it earlier already

• Like 6

I can think of another major Cedar Fair park that does knott have a Giga.

• Like 14

A few reasons that have been stated have been:

The early appearance of teasers, usually don't get teasers this early for smaller attractions.

The amount of area that is covered by the placement of markers.

The amount of area covered by rees that have been marked or removed already.

Not saying that it is for sure a coaster or anything but there are just as many reasons that could be brought up for why it likely is a coaster as there are for why it isn't.

• Like 4

That wasn't my point. My point is please at least skim through the pages before posting your "unique" reason as to why it "definitely is/is not a coaster" because somebody else most likely said it earlier already

Hello, at least read my post before accusing me of not reading anything. I've read every post in this thread. I've been posting in it since the beginning. I was here for the whole 2014 decoding thread. I definitely didn't say it definitely isn't a coster. I just said I don't think it is and listed out the reasons I don't think it is.

I clearly said there is enough time to do it if they choose to. I didn't say there isn't enough room for a coaster. I said that taking out individual trees does not give them enough room for a ride path. I listed out facts about the construction process and why it limits their time for a 2017 opening. 

Are they still teaching reading comprehension in High School?

Kids these days....

Hello, at least read my post before accusing me of not reading anything. I've read every post in this thread. I've been posting in it since the beginning. I was here for the whole 2014 decoding thread. I definitely didn't say it definitely isn't a coster. I just said I don't think it is and listed out the reasons I don't think it is.

I clearly said there is enough time to do it if they choose to. I didn't say there isn't enough room for a coaster. I said that taking out individual trees does not give them enough room for a ride path. I listed out facts about the construction process and why it limits their time for a 2017 opening.

Kids these days....

I never accused you of anything actually. I was just stating in general because it has occurred multiple times in this thread. It was more of a "hey everyone, please stop stating what's been stated 10 times already." You just assumed I was speaking to you because you were guilty of it.

Did they even teach reading comprehension years ago?

Adults these days...

• Like 1

Hello, at least read my post before accusing me of not reading anything. I've read every post in this thread. I've been posting in it since the beginning. I was here for the whole 2014 decoding thread. I definitely didn't say it definitely isn't a coster. I just said I don't think it is and listed out the reasons I don't think it is.

Kids these days....

I never accused you of anything actually. I was just stating in general because it has occurred multiple times in this thread. It was more of a "hey everyone, please stop stating what's been stated 10 times already." You just assumed I was speaking to you because you were guilty of it.

Did they even teach reading comprehension years ago?

Adults these days...

Your post 1463 quoted my post asking for you to list off why its a coaster. In response to me you said "My point is please at least skim through the pages before posting your "unique" reason as to why it "definitely is/is not a coaster" because somebody else most likely said it earlier already" 

Since you quoted and responded to me, and you used the word "your" that means you were addressing me. And in this post, you are saying I'm guilty of it, further showing you were addressing me. You were wrong, and just were trying to look like you know what you are talking about. Now you are trying to half backtrack and act like you weren't really responding to me because you have absolutely no background in anything construction related and have no clue how to accurately address my reasoning. All you can do is take things other people said and hope they were right. I mean you thought this was going to be a dark ride and now you are going to pretend to have any clue how to look at the site and figure out what they are doing? Being snarky might be cool with your friends, but if you are going to come on here and act like you know anything about anything, be ready to back it up. If you can't you will be shown how ignorant you are on what you are trying to talk about. 

If they start posting hints that suggest its a ride themed to To Kill a Mockingbird or we need to figure out a hypotenuse, feel free to chime in.

• Like 1