Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

Sheesh, sorry about the excessive caps. Just trying to emulate an advertisement...

McSalsa, that ride looks really interesting! Does anyone know the last ride that Mack designed for a Cedar Fair park?

Yes. Avalanche at Kings Dominion. (Maybe the first for CF.) now I'm not sure of the last one built for CF.

Sheesh, sorry about the excessive caps. Just trying to emulate an advertisement...

McSalsa, that ride looks really interesting! Does anyone know the last ride that Mack designed for a Cedar Fair park?

Yes. Avalanche Run at Kings Dominion.

...Coast Rider at Knott's? It's as recent as 2013. 

• Like 3

Yes. Avalanche Run at Kings Dominion.

...Coast Rider at Knott's? It's as recent as 2013.

Yep. According to Wiki, Sierra Sidewinder was next most recent in 2007.

• Like 3

So, what is the minimal time requirement for each type of ride/coaster/log flume? Obviously, the more money, the quicker. But trying to get a "there is time for X to go in".

Sent from an Indestructible Phone

There is a huge difference between a drop dead the work needs to be done deadline and what is likely.  Speed costs extra so the work is typically spread out over a longer then needed time frame.  

But overall the deadline is somewhat the same for everything actually, the major limiting factor is that site prep, footers, concrete work, etc has to be finished before it gets too cold out.  Beyond that the ride itself would largely be constructed during the fall and winter.  You also need to get the ride finished a month early for testing if you want it open on opening day.  They could wait until August to even start work and still get anything done by opening day.

• Like 9

So, what is the minimal time requirement for each type of ride/coaster/log flume? Obviously, the more money, the quicker. But trying to get a "there is time for X to go in".

While money can do wonders, for comparison's sake, here is Banshee's site from May 3rd the year before it opened. You can make your own conclusions. 

31122764-BD3C-4066-95DD-D74B08F4241A-891

This is from the decoding 2014 post here: http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php/topic/27275-starting-to-decode-2014/?p=512542

So the minimal clearing, could it just be power lines to a flat ride? thoughts? I haven't seen the park for myself yet this year, so i'm just throwing ideas for now.

We might have a winner here. At least about the power lines. Still not sold on a flat, but the power line idea seems to be spot on. To demonstrate: 

26180232554_56d1f22c20_b.jpg

It lines up with rumored locations of some of the markers and would explain a narrow path through the woods. Good catch. 

• Like 13

It's probably not related but I'm curious. There is a large black thing standing behind Slaughterhouse. I couldn't get a picture because I only saw it from Beast's brake run. It kind of looks like it might be some sort of ramp, if laid down, or alternatively a sign board in the position it is currently standing. If a sign, the front of it is facing away so it can't be seen from Beast... but would be very visible from a Beast tour at, say Coasterstock later this month....

Would someone identify this object for us?

Pretty sure it is one of the sign boards for the poster-size Haunt maps that have been located at the front gate in recent years. That's what it looked like to me when I saw it opening weekend. I might be mistaken though.

• Like 3

I dont think it has anything to do with electricity, there is already a line feeding into the park from that substation, i would think it would be far cheaper, and easier to widen the current path, and or under build a new feeder. Does anyone know where in the park the power is fed to, then distributed? I can see power lines running into the park by WWC, and up buy the building near the front of Soak City.

• Like 1

So the minimal clearing, could it just be power lines to a flat ride? thoughts? I haven't seen the park for myself yet this year, so i'm just throwing ideas for now.

We might have a winner here. At least about the power lines. Still not sold on a flat, but the power line idea seems to be spot on. To demonstrate: 

It lines up with rumored locations of some of the markers and would explain a narrow path through the woods. Good catch. 

Sorry but this makes no sense at all, there is an existing power line directly to the left of your yellow line.  In the off chance they want to expand the power service you just string up another wire on the existing poles.  If you look closely at your picture you can see several of the poles for example there is one just above the large metal tower in the lower left, I can also see two on the left of the train shed.

The question I want to see answered is who is getting the major attraction this year in the Cedar Fair chain if it is not King's Island.  Cedar Fair has already said they are spending a total of $150 million on new attractions across the chain.  They have also shown to investors they plan on adding at a minimum one major attraction somewhere in the chain every year for the next 5 years.  So far the only parks with construction that I know of are King's Island, WoF, and Cedar Point.  WoF is getting two flat rides relocated from parks in Europe.  Cedar Point is removing Shoot the Rapids but just received Valravn, and would be surprised to see back to back major coasters.  This tends to point towards King's Island, but I am willing to say ok X park is getting the big ride this year but I see no signs that it will be happening somewhere else.

But also look at what the park is teasing.  The park posted a picture of Rob Decker with blueprints at Kings Island in January.  If you are not familiar with Rob he is a Senior Vice President in charge of Planning and Design at Cedar Fair.  He helps design the coasters you see at the parks and he is not going to show up at the park for a flat ride.  Whatever is on those blueprints is likely the 2017 attraction.  He is responsible for everything from Valravn, Fury 325, Banshee, Gatekeeper, and many other attractions.

The past does not always repeat but since 2004 the Major Attraction has been a B&M every time.  It has become reliable the chain adds one B&M a year.  You could almost say they are stuck in a rut but since it is so reliable it makes it easier to make an educated guess.

Building new food service locations, and moving the entrance to an attraction are expensive.  In the past these kinds of activities have always been the sign that something big is coming.  Flat rides are just shoved where they happen to fit and make sense.  The park has tons of space to put in smaller attractions.  You build in a spot like this for something specific, or because you really want to put the ride there, for example a water ride.

The teasers, construction, etc all point towards something a lot bigger than just a flat ride.  Maybe this is not a giga from B&M but I am pretty confident it is something big.

• Like 17

As of right now, anything could go there. Now, if more movement does not happen until the fall, we might not be able to say that, but I'd expect a lot more movement and activity to take place in that area within the next month or two if it is going to be a roller coaster!

• Like 2

The past does not always repeat but since 2004 the Major Attraction has been a B&M every time.  

I guess Maverick was not a major attraction for Cedar Point

• Like 3

Anyone know what they're doing to the left of Diamondback this morning?  I've seen a forklift dropping off pallets of something in the grass next to the road all morning.  The road to the left of Diamondback is taped off.

They look like Picnic tables.  No idea why they got dumped there.

Yea I was not thinking when I typed that.  There is another exception as well Intimidator 305 is from Intamin and was in 2010.

The past does not always repeat but since 2004 the Major Attraction has been a B&M every time.  

Well, Maverick was a major attraction, but we also know that Intamin and Cedar Fair are not working together on major projects like they once did. Personally, I like Intamin coasters just as I do B&M coasters, but I doubt we will see major Intamin additions in the years to come. I still point to a giga (who knows what the specs would be like), but any park improvement would work.... KI is great as it is right now, but improvements are always welcomed. I do remain hopeful that other attractions will not be removed or significantly altered (meaning how some of the quiet rides will now be surrounded by a lot of noise) to make this happen, but time will tell!

• Like 3

Anyone know what they're doing to the left of Diamondback this morning?  I've seen a forklift dropping off pallets of something in the grass next to the road all morning.  The road to the left of Diamondback is taped off.

Location of the Banshee Brew Festival this weekend!

• Like 2

An interesting fact.... Go to the sign that reads "Caution, watch for falling trees", after reading the sign, turn to your right, walk between 25 and 30 paces, then turn to your left, you can stand there and watch falling trees until the park closes for the day.

• Like 17