Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

I am going to disagree. By looking online, rides like Diamondback takes more space to make turns than other rides. It's like trying to make a u turn in a suv vs a mini cooper. I finally figured out the name of that yellow one at Hershey park I like. Skyrush has sharper curves and takes up less space to make the turns. That is why I agree with my husband and think if it's a coaster it will be like the cowboy coaster at Cedar Point by that company. Could the maker of Diamondback make a coaster with tight turns?

A cowboy coaster, me asking what is the cowboy coaster, and that certain manufacturer that made both rides (Skyrush and the "Cowboy coaster") is very unlikely to be used due to the downtime and other issues 

• Like 3

I am going to disagree. By looking online, rides like Diamondback takes more space to make turns than other rides. It's like trying to make a u turn in a suv vs a mini cooper. I finally figured out the name of that yellow one at Hershey park I like. Skyrush has sharper curves and takes up less space to make the turns. That is why I agree with my husband and think if it's a coaster it will be like the cowboy coaster at Cedar Point by that company. Could the maker of Diamondback make a coaster with tight turns?

A cowboy coaster, me asking what is the cowboy coaster, and that certain manufacturer that made both rides (Skyrush and the "Cowboy coaster") is very unlikely to be used due to the downtime and other issues

So what your telling me is that there is not going to be a coaster then? I saw on this thread what Banshee looked like at this time and all the land was already cleared. Banshee and Diamondback are from the same company.

• Like 2

So what your telling me is that there is not going to be a coaster then? I saw on this thread what Banshee looked like at this time and all the land was already cleared. Banshee and Diamondback are from the same company.

Refer to Chugh43's post above this one

• Like 1

I don't think anyone said there definitely wouldn't be a coaster, just personal opinions. Like people have said before, a lot of stuff can happen in a short time with enough money. What was being said is that the company that made Skyrush and Maverick (the cowboy coaster), Intamin, has problems with downtime among other things, making it unlikely that they will build the next roller coaster. B&M, Diamondback's manufacturer, is known for reliability and safety. Cedar Fair has been buying coasters from them for years and seem to be very satisfied with their work. Like others have said, they make long and thin coasters that take up a small footprint. However, they can also create coasters that wrap around themselves, such as Rougarou. They will do most anything to make their clients happy.

• Like 6

Those coasters just don't look to be very "nimble" like skyrush and the cowboy coaster. If there is going to be a coaster in the back of the park it will have to be "nimble". I am taking my daughter to the park after school I will ask some questions.

Chugh43: I say I will not shop at Walmart but do go there when I need certain things because of price.

• Like 1

Those coasters just don't look to be very "nimble" like skyrush and the cowboy coaster. If there is going to be a coaster in the back of the park it will have to be "nimble". I am taking my daughter to the park after school I will ask some questions.

Chugh43: I say I will not shop at Walmart but do go there when I need certain things because of price.

for best results of asking questions, go to the Dip N Dots guy, he is pretty reliable :P 

• Like 10

You are comparing Cedar Fair who purchases coasters somewhere between $18-30 million to picking up something at Walmart because it's cheap? I'm sure Cedar Fair would prefer to purchase a coaster that isn't cheap and reliable, as would I. If we are going to compare, I'd say B&M is Target and Intamin is Walmart.

Also good luck getting answers to some questions in regards to Project 2017.

• Like 6

This isn't exactly comparable to a person going to Walmart versus Target to save money.

Cedar Fair and Intamin have a long history. At one time Intamin was their go-to for new coasters. However, issues with downtime and safety have made their coasters a less profitable investment over time than what other manufacturers can offer. The last ride Intamin built for Cedar Point, Shoot the Rapids, injured and could have killed several riders. That ride is now being removed. Due to these issues, Cedar Fair probably will not work with Intamin any time in the forseeable future even if they can offer a cheaper product. Guest safety comes first. They will gladly spend more money on a more reliable and safe product, AKA a B&M coaster or some other manufacturer with a good track record.

Maybe B&M COULD make something like Maverick in the future, they are now branching out a bit more into launched coasters like Thunderbird. You never know. But Cedar Fair probably won't get a CLONE of Maverick as they no longer work with that manufacturer (Intamin).

I suggest reading over some of the threads when you have time, people really have a lot of great insights on here. I came to this site knowing almost nothing about this industry and I've learned so much just reading, and because people were kind enough to answer my questions. Heck, I'm still learning something new every day here! :) Overall, we're not going to know for sure what is coming until it is announced by the park's management and PR. That will likely be many months from now.

• Like 4

Beast Gal: But what if Walmart sold you a cheap blender that, when you got home, didn't work? You need your blender to work right now--you have a bunch of people expecting smoothies from you tomorrow--but your blender has to be shipped back to Blender Manufacturing Company for a few months before it can be used. Or, for another example, what if you plug in your blender, which works, but it's got exposed blades that may hurt you? Or what if your blender breaks every fifth smoothie and you have to take it apart and fix it every time?

That's what the company who makes Skyrush and the cowboy coaster (which is called Maverick, by the way :) ) has a recent record of doing. That company, which is named Intamin, has developed a reputation for its rides not opening on time, having a significant amount of downtime, and/or requiring a redesign at some point during their lives. A couple examples: Maverick had an inversion removed (here are links to how it looked before and after modification) and opened late, Intimidator 305 at Kings Dominion had its first turn redesigned, and both Cedar Point and Holiday World recently removed their Intamin boat rides after 6 or 7 years of operation.

Does Intamin make good rides? Absolutely. There are many people around here who enjoy Maverick, Intimidator 305, and Skyrush, for example. They've just not had a great record with Cedar Fair lately, which is why people here aren't expecting them to design any potential new rides for Kings Island anytime soon.

Also, I would normally have agreed with the idea that B&M doesn't make "nimble" coasters, but Thunderbird at Holiday World is actually pretty nimble itself. Maybe try checking that one out. :)

• Like 14

Beast Gal: But what if Walmart sold you a cheap blender that, when you got home, didn't work? You need your blender to work right now--you have a bunch of people expecting smoothies from you tomorrow--but your blender has to be shipped back to Blender Manufacturing Company for a few months before it can be used. Or, for another example, what if you plug in your blender, which works, but it's got exposed blades that may hurt you? Or what if your blender breaks every fifth smoothie and you have to take it apart and fix it every time?

That's what the company who makes Skyrush and the cowboy coaster (which is called Maverick, by the way :) ) has a recent record of doing. That company, which is named Intamin, has developed a reputation for its rides not opening on time, having a significant amount of downtime, and/or requiring a redesign at some point during their lives. A couple examples: Maverick had an inversion removed (here are links to how it looked before and after modification) and opened late, Intimidator 305 at Kings Dominion had its first turn redesigned, and both Cedar Point and Holiday World recently removed their Intamin boat rides after 6 or 7 years of operation.

Does Intamin make good rides? Absolutely. There are many people around here who enjoy Maverick, Intimidator 305, and Skyrush, for example. They've just not had a great record with Cedar Fair lately, which is why people here aren't expecting them to design any potential new rides for Kings Island anytime soon.

Also, I would normally have agreed with the idea that B&M doesn't make "nimble" coasters, but Thunderbird at Holiday World is actually pretty nimble itself. Maybe try checking that one out. :)

Thanks for the explanation. I prefer the before compared to the after on maverick.

• Like 1

I need to go to holiday world this summer this ride looks great. It looks like it was built in and around trees and looks really "nimble". Done researching coasters for today.

Good Luck finding that at Holiday World. Lol

heads up thats in Germany

• Like 7

http://youtu.be/u0FwscPjC3s

I need to go to holiday world this summer this ride looks great. It looks like it was built in and around trees and looks really "nimble". Done researching coasters for today.

I agree Intamin makes "nimble" coasters, but I also believe B&M and Mack also make very "nimble" coasters. A good example for B&M would be Fury 325 and for Mack it would be Helix. If you aren't familiar with these, I would encourage you to look them up. Like I said earlier, B&M will do most anything to make their clients happy. I'm sure they could easily make a coaster like Maverick and Skyrush, in my opinion, but their coasters are world renowned in their own right. I think they are currently working on the old saying of "if it ain't broke don't fix it!"
  • Like 6

This gave me a good chuckle. "Blender Manufacturing Company."

• Like 7

That's what the company who makes Skyrush and the cowboy coaster (which is called Maverick, by the way :) ) has a recent record of doing. That company, which is named Intamin, has developed a reputation for its rides not opening on time, having a significant amount of downtime, and/or requiring a redesign at some point during their lives. A couple examples: Maverick had an inversion removed (here are links to how it looked

and
modification) and opened late, Intimidator 305 at Kings Dominion had its first turn redesigned, and both Cedar Point and Holiday World recently removed their Intamin boat rides after 6 or 7 years of operation.

Thanks for the explanation. I prefer the before compared to the after on maverick.

You're welcome.

Also, just to be clear: The problem with the "before" on Maverick is that that heartline roll (allegedly, according to enthusiast circles) pulled too many forces on the riders. It wasn't a matter of Cedar Point deciding they didn't like having an inversion there; it was a matter of Intamin providing something that couldn't be used. That's why there was a change.

• Like 6

So after talking with a friend from landscaping, his name is Ryan, coming this month(may) they have jobs where they are clearing both 'patches' and 'paths' throughout the wooded area in question. Also I know this was asked earlier in the thread but about 3 weeks ago KI renewed their contract with Dinosaurs Alive for an additional 4 years. i know it's not a lot but just thought I'd add to the discussion.

• Like 7

So after talking with a friend from landscaping, his name is Ryan, coming this month(may) they have jobs where they are clearing both 'patches' and 'paths' throughout the wooded area in question. Also I know this was asked earlier in the thread but about 3 weeks ago KI renewed their contract with Dinosaurs Alive for an additional 4 years. i know it's not a lot but just thought I'd add to the discussion.

Ok, as theories go, this one makes a lot of sense. Move Dinosaurs Alive to Rivertown this year (or during the off-season). That seems to me to be a much better location than Coney Mall anyway, next to Planet Snoopy. That opens up the huge space behind The Racer for our much anticipated giga in 2018. That makes a ton of sense to me.

• Like 9

I think it would be exciting to see B&M attempt a compact, intense roller coaster. My hope would be a couple of inversions, but I would also want the B&M clam-shell restraints. I don't know if it would be in B&M's best interest to have inversions on a coaster with clam-shells, but I'd really love that.

• Like 7