Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

Yes, it was. It was changed because there was a bad Paramount movie called Congo. Look at the sign for the ride. It has a really nice 3D "Falls" and a cheap flat vinyl "Congo." I wonder if the Amazon part of the sign is collecting dust somewhere in storage. If so, I'd change it back.

• Like 6

Yes, it was. It was changed because there was a bad Paramount movie called Congo. Look at the sign for the ride. It has a really nice 3D "Falls" and a cheap flat vinyl "Congo." I wonder if the Amazon part of the sign is collecting dust somewhere in storage.

You'd be surprised all the old signs that they still have in the sign shop.

Granted, the last time I was in there was 2009. Hopefully another tour is on the plate for Coasterstock!

• Like 6

Okay, we got it. That's enough ribbing folks. Don't make her feel unwelcome.

Sorry Beast Gal, I did not realize I got that offensive. I welcome you and everybody to the wonderful site that is KIC. Sometimes I do like to joke around, and they sometimes get to offensive. I'm trying to cut down on that I hope you feel welcome, this comes from me and everybody here

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

• Like 8

Sorry Beast Gal, I did not realize I got that offensive. I welcome you and everybody to the wonderful site that is KIC. Sometimes I do like to joke around, and they sometimes get to offensive. I'm trying to cut down on that I hope you feel welcome, this come from me and everybody here

And the same goes for me, I tend to have an offensive sense of humor, but to anyone, please do not feel offended by anything I say as it is never meant to be cruel/offensive.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Yes, it was. It was changed because there was a bad Paramount movie called Congo. Look at the sign for the ride. It has a really nice 3D "Falls" and a cheap flat vinyl "Congo." I wonder if the Amazon part of the sign is collecting dust somewhere in storage.

Granted, the last time I was in there was 2009. Hopefully another tour is on the plate for Coasterstock!

I'd love to see it. I remember hearing from a member here that some of the Red Racer or Blue Racer signs are there but sadly there aren't enough for all of the trains.
  • Like 2

Sorry Beast Gal, I did not realize I got that offensive. I welcome you and everybody to the wonderful site that is KIC. Sometimes I do like to joke around, and they sometimes get to offensive. I'm trying to cut down on that I hope you feel welcome, this come from me and everybody here

And the same goes for me, I tend to have an offensive sense of humor, but to anyone, please do not feel offended by anything I say as it is never meant to be cruel/offensive.

Oh, that is not in any way possible with me.  With the Trade I am a former Brother in, there was a saying that applied to every jobsite I was on.  It was "Take your last feeling, and leave it in the truck!"  As for me, I always have and always will say exactly what I mean, and mean exactly what I say with no second thoughts or remorse.

• Like 6

^ no but since it is right next to the log flume where logs/trees fall all day, it could have absolutely nothing to do with whatever they are doing in the woods.

And the DA rumor is at least plausible because what little tree cutting they are doing fits more with walking paths than it does any kind of ride path. And a major coaster fits more in the current DA location than where they are working now.

Nothing is ruled out at this point.

I don't see how the rumor is plausible though, the extension of the contract hasn't been confirmed and the state of those Dinosaurs is embarrassing to the company who made and owns (not sure if they are leased or what) them.

• Like 5

I'd love to see it. I remember hearing from a member here that some of the Red Racer or Blue Racer signs are there but sadly there aren't enough for all of the trains.

Signs when Paramount Parks owned Kings Island. The sign for Top Gun was hanging on the wall. The sign to King Cobra also.

The sign to Son of Beast, this should tell you what part of 2009 I took the tour. Just to name a few.

This tour alone was worth the price of admission to the event.

• Like 4

Something I noticed on Instagram:

3e72a53a7d54457d0e6211efae8a2e4b.jpg

Somebody is following Cedar Fair parks...

a66262607ec41e69ce0c7d89e7a88c0f.jpg

I feel like it would be bad for business and publicity if they followed their main buyers biggest rival, unless they had a reason to, such as the rival is now a buyer. This is all pure speculation. (The Disney part might have a different explanation as to why they are being followed, but the same goes for them)

*I do not know whether this is an official RMC page, so if someone did know, that would be great and might help us debunk this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I feel like it would be bad for business and publicity if they followed their main buyers biggest rival, unless they had a reason to, such as the rival is now a buyer. This is all pure speculation.

*I do not know whether this is an official RMC page, so if someone did know, that would be great and might help us debunk this stuff.

That is RMC's official page.

• Like 3

I feel like it would be bad for business and publicity if they followed their main buyers biggest rival, unless they had a reason to, such as the rival is now a buyer. This is all pure speculation. (The Disney part might have a different explanation as to why they are being followed, but the same goes for them)

There following Disney to, is it a big deal? No

• Like 1

Signs when Paramount Parks owned Kings Island. The sign for Top Gun was hanging on the wall. The sign to King Cobra also.

The sign to Son of Beast, this should tell you what part of 2009 I took the tour. Just to name a few.

Was like the entire Son of Beast box shown?? 

• Like 2

DiamondBanshee: I suppose that could be something, but consider also the size of the amusement industry. Everyone seems to know everyone else, it seems. Greg Scheid, Jeff Seibert, Luna Park NYC, and Dollywood follow The Gravity Group on Twitter, but it does not necessarily mean that Kings Island, Six Flags Fiesta Texas, Luna Park, and Dollywood have ever done business with or have any plans to do business with The Gravity Group. If anything, it may just be a matter of networking.

This post is not a hint. I have no inside information about any future park or manufacturer plans. This is a disclaimer.

• Like 6

Was like the entire Son of Beast box shown?? 

All I saw was the sign.

All I saw was the sign.

Did it open up your eyes when you saw the sign? I know it did for Ace of Base.

Cedar Fair isn't known for indecent attractions.

Well, except "no limits" Haunt a few years back...

And this forum drank that Kool-Aid hard.

Amusement parks should never have "no limits" entertainment. Sexually charged heckling and distasteful displays of dead celebrities? Um no...

I bet Don hated having to push that crap. I'm sure he knew better.

Why did Cedar Fair, which was at least then ran by a very conservative family, bring that about?

Because they saw the massive success of Universal's Halloween Horror Nights events (particularly the then revival of Hollywood's event) and thought they could capitalize on what they believed worked. Not realizing that 1) the Hollywood market is VASTLY different than the Cincinnati market, and 2) the Haunt's "bite" (its lineup of mazes and attention to detail) wasn't anywhere near up to snuff with its "bark" (its marketing campaign and emphasis on "Gore Is More").

I feel like moving the dinos would be a huge waste of money, I mean the themed gift shop is already there, there's that pathway through the whole thing with all the footprints stamped in it and everything, etc..

Previous to dinosaurs roaming the backwoods of the Island, Haunt had a haunted trail running through that same spot for years. The trail was originally all dirt but they eventually paved the entire walking path with blacktop, and everyone assumed it would last another several Haunts. They demolished it almost a year after paving it and replaced it with DA (I believe the Haunt trail is still accessible to workers as it cuts through the DA loop).

• Like 4

After 60+ pages and 5ish hours of reading over the span of about 4 days, I am finally caught up. I visited the park yesterday and here are some of my thoughts:

1. I HATE the deforestation. I would prefer that new attractions go in an area where it is not necessary, but I understand that it isn't always possible. I hope that Kings Island is able to maintain as much natural foliage as physically possible.
  2. There is enough room for anything that they want into this area of Rivertown, so ruling something out due to size is foolish at this point.
  3. The KI&MV RR tour on Sunday morning of Coasterstock should be interesting. I don't think that has been mentioned in this thread yet, but it could have some interesting info and photo ops.
  4. I believe that the fenced-off construction area in front of the train will not be the location of a new attraction. That flat area will be the plaza entry point (similar to what Banshee and Gatekeeper have) with a bridge over the train tracks to an attraction on the other side.
  5. I would be pleasantly surprised with a Giga there, but it just feels unlikely to me at this point. If this is a coaster, right now I am thinking that it will be something similar to Verbolten. That doesn't mean that it will be done by the same manufacturer or will be the same quality as Verbolten, but a terrain-ish coaster with a few launches and several interaction points intrigues me. Perhaps B&M has this up their sleeve?
  6. That being said, I am still on #TeamGCI, and have been ever since the last decoding debacle.

My thoughts on 2017 are still very subject to change, and will develop as this continues to unfold. Hopefully I will be more active with this discussion going forward. Happy decoding, everyone!

• Like 11

I don't see how the rumor is plausible though, the extension of the contract hasn't been confirmed and the state of those Dinosaurs is embarrassing to the company who made and owns (not sure if they are leased or what) them.

Well, unless you have confirmation that the contract isn't going to be renewed, its plausible.

• Like 1

After 60+ pages and 5ish hours of reading over the span of about 4 days, I am finally caught up!

Heck after the last 2 pages, I hit my mobile data cap.....

Please for the love of all, only quote what you are referencing; not the whole page. You can edit the quote. It's not rocket science.

• Like 13

In my view the land that Dinosaurs Alive occupies represents the most logical expansion location in the park. Moving DA to Rivertown would place it next to the kids area in a space which is otherwise difficult to utilize. You could cram a coaster here but it would require compromises. Two flat rides could fit but why rip out so many trees in an area which is supposed to have trees due to the theme.

If DA has been renewed moving it for long term expansion options makes sense. Moving would likely include refurbishment which will fix the appearance and movement issues. I will also add I suspect this would almost confirm a coaster is coming soon. Because it would take something big to justify moving DA.

• Like 3

All I saw was the sign.

Did it open up your eyes when you saw the sign? I know it did for Ace of Base. 

All I saw was the sign.

They did too.

I walked right into this one. I got "Terpied" but not by the man himself...

• Like 8