Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

A park can buy exclusivity.

It's negotiable.

The longer or bigger the geographic area, the more it costs.

It isn't free.

Far from it.

So in theory, they could do a wing, but it would cost more? Your words confuse me at times, Terp.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

``Every accident is tragic and we should strive not to have any, but accidents do happen. The question is what is an acceptable number?''

This was from Sandor Kernacs, Intamin's U.S. President

http://articles.courant.com/2004-05-04/news/0405040040_1_roller-coaster-lap-bars-or-seat-superman-roller

It's been discussed here before, wanted to add while on the subject.

In a deposition in a lawsuit caused by an ejection from an INTAMIN roller coaster. Ejection--of which INTAMIN has had a number. B&M? None. At all.

Building on what Terp said. 

How many B&M coasters have had to be redesigned right before opening or after it's opening season? None that I'm aware of.

Intamin: 2007, Maverick and 2010, Intimidator 305 due to the forces placed on riders.

http://www.coaster-net.com/news/1371-reworked-intimidator-305-opens/

http://www.wtol.com/story/6551773/cedar-point-making-changes-to-maverick-before-it-opens

• Like 9

Random thought... what if Beast Gal's husband was 'Young Stud' from a while back?

Joncars05, who "saw" some green Intamin track heading to the park today!

Maybe he's the Dippin Dots guy

• Like 5

On my visit to KI on Friday, I went to the Eiffel Tower and I heard some very interesting sounds. I took video, but decided not to post it since I probably caught wind more than the sounds I was hearing.

But what I will show, is a picture that I took using the telescope on the Eiffel Tower.

ox4gkEE.jpg

The sounds I was hearing was of this, and someone clearing some trees away. Other than this, I found nothing else by using the telescope. Don was right, Nothing to see here.

-----

RMC has been quite reliable. Only 1 incident I currently know about was the Texas Giant incident.

• Like 6

How reliable has RMC been?

There was an ejection on New Texas Giant and Lightning Rod at Dollywood is having delays in opening.

Apart from those things, Six Flags is capable of keeping them up and running so that's a good sign for reliability.

• Like 4

There was an ejection on New Texas Giant and Lightning Rod at Dollywood is having delays in opening.  

Texas Giant is the only real issue.

Lightning Rod is due to the fact that they're putting new technology onto something wooden. Launched lift on a wooden coaster has never been done before. They want to make sure it's done properly.

• Like 8

Lightning Rod is due to the fact that they're putting new technology onto something wooden. Launched lift on a wooden coaster has never been done before. They want to make sure it's done properly.

The launch was made by a third party as well, so that issue isn't fully RMC related

• Like 8

Incredible hulk? I noticed that by researching sheikra today.

That was more of the parks choice due to the ride condition declining, not safety issues.

And, in turn, doing a complete overhaul of the queue line, launch tunnel, marquee, and trains for the attraction as shown here:

https://youtu.be/i9Th3Gnd6zQ

• Like 4

I have a hard time blaming RMC for what happened on the New Texas Giant, the train was built by Gerstlauer.  Who were instructed by Six Flags to not install seat belts in the train.

• Like 4

The launch was made by a third party as well, so that issue isn't fully RMC related

......Or to get even more specific, as far as the Texas Giant incident goes....

Texas Giant trains were one of only two RMC coasters that used trains by Gerstlauer. (The other being Iron Rattler)

Other than that, RMC hasn't really actually had any issues with their own trains.

• Like 5

Maverick has a launched lift hill.  The fact that its wood (or rather, steel, IMO) shouldn't be an issue.  The technology has been around for decades now (and has in fact been added to many wooden coasters in the form of magnetic brakes).  Strapping LIMs/LSM's to any coaster shouldn't be that much of an issue anymore.  B&M just did it for the first time to their newest model and it opened on time. 

As for NTAG, RMC was in as much in a position as Gerstlauer to make sure it shouldn't of had an ejection and didn't.  

• Like 2

Brakes were added to the top of LR, I'm not sure what the actual issue was, I've heard some people saying it was going way too fast, and others saying the anti rollback wasn't working properly.

• Like 2

RMC also did not design the trains for Texas Giant. Those came from Gerstlauer and were modified (either during development or after they were delivered--I don't remember which at this point) by Six Flags. Whose fault it was that a passenger was ejected was (is?) something the courts decided (are deciding?) It's been a while since I last read up on that incident.

There are a couple questions I have for thought, though:

1. Who developed the launch system for Lightning Rod?

2. Whose decision was it to use the launch system that, according to RMC, is the cause for the delays?

3. Are the answers to 1 and 2 relevant to future customers?

I'm just wondering aloud. This user has no insider information about any past, current, or future projects from Rocky Mountain Construction and/or Dollywood. This is a disclaimer.

I'm completely speculating, but I don't think this would be an RMC ride if it is a roller coaster. It would be lovely to have one that close to home, but I feel like Cedar Fair's track record leans more towards working with companies they've got experience working with (GCI, B&M, Triotech) than someone new.

• Like 6