Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

Hopefully it's not. I don't have anything against B&M. I love Banshee and Diamondback but I would like to see something a little different from Mack or RMC maybe. I don't think that will happen. B&M seems to be Cedar Fairs go to company right now. But I guess it depends on what exactly their looking for.

There are many ways to engineer a coaster.  ;)

• Like 8

^yes I know but I'm kinda just basing my opinion on what I have seen with the last two Coaster installments at KI. Even if their trying to keep as many trees as possible they still need to clear out enough to get an the equipment, trucks, track, and supports where they need to be especially if it were to be a giga. The area needed for all that stuff would need to be even larger. I'm not saying that there is no way it can be a coaster, is just at this point if there doesn't appear to be some major progress on the next couple weeks I will change my mind about it being a coaster.

• Like 1

Like I said I realize not every Coaster installation take the same amount of time or work within the same time frame. This is just my opinion based on what I have seen in the past and what I'm seeing now. Again I really do hope im wrong and we will have to wait and see. I hope so see some significant progress in the next couple weeks. Maybe then I will change my mind.

• Like 4

I asked my husband if this was not going to be a cowboy coaster but a coaster for 2018. He said if it's a record breaker for a traditional coaster it would more than likely not use a chain since it would be way to heavy and take to long to reach say 400'.

• Like 2

I asked my husband if this was not going to be a cowboy coaster but a coaster for 2018. He said if it's a record breaker for a traditional coaster it would more than likely not use a chain since it would be way to heavy and take to long to reach say 400'.

I agree Beast Gal. However, I do not think that a +400' coaster is likely. Even so, +375' would probably have similar problems. Too long to reach the top, though, may be a different story. It would take a while, yes, but it would probably still be quicker than other coasters. Perhaps B&M might try their own hand at the Intamin cable lift.

In other news, where did Maverick valley at?

• Like 4

Fury 325 and Leviathan both use traditional chain lift hills, I don't see why B&M, (if they are building our new coaster) would decide to switch and use a cable lift on a Giga.

That was just hypothetical, if they wanted to try something new. I don't think they would, since traditional chain lifts work well for them

• Like 2

Not completely correct. If Skyplex is built in Orlando Florida it will be just over 500ft tall. And for what I saw of the animations it is traditional chain lift. But I'm agreeing with others. There needs to being a mass clearing soon or I will change my mind!

• Like 2

Not completely correct. If Skyplex is built in Orlando Florida it will be just over 500ft tall. And for what I saw of the animations it is traditional chain lift. But I'm agreeing with others. There needs to being a mass clearing soon or I will change my mind!

From the looks of things thus far, imo, KI is trying to preserve as many trees as possible for this project. It's way too early to tell, though. If this is a coaster and they are trying to preserve most of the wooded area, it will be a logistical challenge to get all of the steel and equipment  back there, around and over those trees. I assume It can be done, though. 

• Like 7

Lets also not forget that Banshee was placed on a spot that was previously cleared before construction. Therefore the last full construction we had was Diamondback which also required a lot of land work. I am not saying that this is a coaster, but our last 2 coasters had much different land they were put on.

• Like 8

Just because it happened in the past doesn't mean it'll happen with this project.

Look at The Beast. They preserved trees. If they found a tree they wanted to keep, they completely redid the layout to work around it. And moved on. 

It's not impossible to clear as little trees as possible and then install a roller coaster. It's happened before, it can happen again. Cedar Fair isn't all about just creating a hole in the forest and plopping a mega-steel structure in the middle of it. They can do some other things as well to please the GP and the CE.

• Like 9

Rode the train today and as we were rounding the bend into the station there is a pink flag on a stake with the words "clear cut limit" on it. I wonder what that means?

I also wonder if the cleaned areas could be a return of the trains animatronics or possibly the skeleton crew like at Cedar Point?

• Like 6

6c72eecf718d5aaa8d908cd28a3c8557.jpg

I'm a little late. But here's Cowboy Coaster. It was cold today, and the winds were extremely strong. TTD was closed most of the day because it kept rolling back. (Sorry this is irrelevant, I was just intrigued, plus it's the Cowboy Coaster)

Pic is from coaster_bean on Instagram.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Like 12

Just because it happened in the past doesn't mean it'll happen with this project.

Look at The Beast. They preserved trees. If they found a tree they wanted to keep, they completely redid the layout to work around it. And moved on.

It's not impossible to clear as little trees as possible and then install a roller coaster. It's happened before, it can happen again. Cedar Fair isn't all about just creating a hole in the forest and plopping a mega-steel structure in the middle of it. They can do some other things as well to please the GP and the CE.

I can't remember which coaster it was, but one of the coasters at Holiday World had a section of track changed just so they wouldn't have to cut down more trees (sorry for the double post)

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

A genuine question: Would they actually put a new wooden roller coaster that close to The Beast?

I mean she is legandary and her son who was alittle too much. Just out of personal instinct it seems alittle abrasive to put up a new wooden coaster after just tearing the one down that caused so many injuries. As well as being next to the longest one in the United States.

• Like 2