Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

High winds have been responsible for its closure the past few days. It can be a lot stronger at 420' than at ground level.

I'm assuming you postponed your trip till Wednesday ?

Indeed. I'm not a fan of waiting around for things to (maybe) open.

• Like 3

Some coasters have winches installed in certain locations in case of valleying. Racer may have a second chain at the highest point of the turnaround to catch the trains and stop them from rolling back. Thunder Road did and it was fairly common to see it caught by the device during preseason(March-June) morning test runs.

• Like 3

Even the ride ops get annoyed by how much it's down. I've never seen a coaster suffer from as much downtime as it. TTD= Top Thrill Downtime.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

There are several rides with worse downtime then TTD.  Kingda Ka has some pretty bad downtime but considering it is mostly a taller and faster version of TTD that should not come as a surprise, even worse the ride shakes like crazy, it is just amazing how rough it is compared to TTD.  Superman: Escape from Krypton not only has horrible downtime, even when it works the number of riders an hour is just terrible.  The ride with possibly the worst downtime I have ever seen is X2 at Magic Mountain, I have been to the park several times and still never seen the ride even running let alone having a chance to ride it.

Out of the four rides listed above, three are made by Intamin and all three are the only coasters over 400 ft tall.  TTD is the only ride on this list not at a Six Flags park.  I also suspect I am missing some rides, Rip, Ride, Rockit, comes to mind but Universal did finally fix it and now the ride runs pretty smoothly.

• Like 1

High winds have been responsible for its closure the past few days. It can be a lot stronger at 420' than at ground level.

I'm assuming you postponed your trip till Wednesday ?
Indeed. I'm not a fan of waiting around for things to (maybe) open.

Can't blame ya on that one.

I will say this. My last two trips to any parks(Camden Park and Cedar Point, respectively) were marred by rainy and cold weather. They was also two of the best and I will assume later on down the road most memorable trips I have ever takin. I hope to soon run into them folks again.

Now that being said, Coasterstock this weekend I hope is different. Still looking forward to meeting the folks from this site, but the rain needs to go somewhere else.

• Like 5

^^ Maverick being down or not has no affect on my trips to CP, at all.

I will have to say Maverick valleying probably is a a big deal to the park, though. First, it was the first time it has valleyed in 3 years. So it's not like it's very common. We sat for about an hour watching them work on getting the train up out of its valley. Those guys were working their butts off. And the train did not move in that hour. It valleyed at 10:30ish, by the time we left at 5:30, they were still working on it.

So with the extra money the spent(labor), to the longer lines (Maverick's line is always a healthy line, you take that away and people will be in other lines, adding to the wait time means less time for food and shopping breaks) I couldn't imagine it not being a big deal.

• Like 3

It is rare to catch a coaster valley on video. Typically it is not being filmed until after it is already stuck. I assume the employees had a pretty good idea it was going to happen.

Great video. Been cool to have been on it when it happened. Probably be the only interesting ride on Iron Dragon I ever had.

Has to be one of the most boring coasters I have been on.

• Like 5

It is rare to catch a coaster valley on video. Typically it is not being filmed until after it is already stuck. I assume the employees had a pretty good idea it was going to happen.

Great video. Been cool to have been on it when it happened. Probably be the only interesting ride on Iron Dragon I ever had.

The video description says that the train was empty when it happened, as it was a morning test run. Though, if it had been occupied, I do wonder exactly how they would go about evacuating that train where it stopped, considering that it was over water at the time.

• Like 3

The video description says that the train was empty when it happened, as it was a morning test run. Though, if it had been occupied, I do wonder exactly how they would go about evacuating that train where it stopped, considering that it was over water at the time.

"Alrite folks, your restraints have now been unlocked. If you please, exit to your left. You may dive or jump on in and swim over to the shore and enjoy the rest of your day here at Cedar Point, America's Rock & Roller Coast, ride on."

Or something like that.

• Like 8

Wonder why so long?

Must've damaged something cranening it out. Waiting on parts maybe?

Bet the higher-ups are loving that. Especially since, from what I heard, management were the ones really pushing the testing Sunday morning.

• Like 5

From what I'm hearing, Maverick will be down until May 28th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm kind of surprised to hear that. I was the one that took that photo of it valleyed. I have a couple more photos that will be posted in a trip report soon. They pulled the ride through the inversion pretty quickly. Although I didn't go back there later that day to see it in person the Cedar Point app stated that it was running later that day.

• Like 3

I'm kind of surprised to hear that. I was the one that took that photo of it valleyed. I have a couple more photos that will be posted in a trip report soon. They pulled the ride through the inversion pretty quickly. Although I didn't go back there later that day to see it in person the Cedar Point app stated that it was running later that day.

You didn't happen to be the gentleman taking pictures maybe with your wife was ya?

You didn't happen to be the gentleman taking pictures maybe with your wife was ya?

I was there by myself at that time. My wife and kiddo were napping in the car. A lady with a stroller came up and had a chat with me for a little bit while watching the crew work on moving the train. I was the guy standing on the bench to get a clear shot of the train for most of the time that I was there.  

• Like 3

What's the deal with Mean Streak? I haven't seen anything on it.

according to Jason, (CP General Manager) Mean Streak opened for Halloweekends, which it normally does not, so they are spending extra time preparing it to open  

• Like 6

What's the deal with Mean Streak? I haven't seen anything on it.

according to Jason, (CP General Manager) Mean Streak opened for Halloweekends, which it normally does not, so they are spending extra time preparing it to open
Uh it has operated for Halloweekends many of times in the past. I love watching it from the Eden Muse que. I do recall a few years ago when it didn't operate during Halloweekends but that was when they started major track work on it early.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 2