Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

Teal is a blue-green color and these were a more yellow to slightly lime-green color. But they were awesome, no doubt. Appeared to be ostrich-leather.

f55ccbde7bfa4e5c879501e62a31f659.jpg

I asked Mr. Speigel about them as I took the pic, which unfortunately didn't focus, and he mentioned he had them custom made when he was in an Asian country (I'm blanking on which one he mentioned)

I think he chose them to go with the Wyoming shirt he had on under his suit jacket. But then again, his pocket square has a lime green hue as well, so it may have been an intentional nod to speculation he may have caught wind of.

4b9fd04b89a30abe8ecdc1c7c85afe0f.jpg

• Like 14

What does you husband think will be in the Giga (if it is one) Beast Gal? Like, element wise.

Sent from an Indestructible Phone

He says it should have a steegal dive or two.

I believe he was referring to a Stengel Dive, which, for those of you that do not know, is a mixture of a camelback and a sharp banked turn at the top of it. They are found on many Intamin roller coasters, such as Maverick and Goliath at Walabi World, but I believe some B&Ms have them, such as (possibly) Fury (Depending on if its turnaround is considered one)

• Like 3

Sorry to double post, but that trail looks like it could be used for a new midway possibly. Maybe like a Frontier Trail type midway like at CP, or a Rivertown Trail.

That's what I first thought when I saw that clearing; it just doesn't seem wide enough for a coaster.

But there is still plenty of time for development, and most of you all know much more about these processes than I do! That's why I normally just sit back and read this thread! It is great entertainment! 

• Like 8

There are indeed lots of markers at CP. All over Mean Streak as well as a few other places. There are also two large plots of land opened up, one for (assuming) a future Soak City expansion, and one from Shawn's beloved Shoot the Rapids being torn out.

People on KICentral here don't know how much I liked Shoot the Rapids in the past. Rougarou is now my addiction at Cedar Point now. At Kings Island, It's all about The Beast! ;)

• Like 5

I'll have to give Rougarou another try when I visit CP in July. I rode it last year and ended up with a major headache afterwards from my head hitting the restraint throughout the ride.

This is what happens to me on Rougarou. I practically end up with a concussion after every ride. Unless it's a walk on...I'll pass.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Like 4

What does you husband think will be in the Giga (if it is one) Beast Gal? Like, element wise.

Sent from an Indestructible Phone

He says it should have a steegal dive or two.

I believe he was referring to a Stengel Dive, which, for those of you that do not know, is a mixture of a camelback and a sharp banked turn at the top of it. They are found on many Intamin roller coasters, such as Maverick and Goliath at Walabi World, but I believe some B&Ms have them, such as (possibly) Fury (Depending on if its turnaround is considered one)

Fury's turnaround is not a stengel dive. 

XfIB5nO.jpg

Stengel dives

(courtesy of Google Images)

WroJhAx.jpg

Not a stengel dive. 

Both a stengel dive and a Fury turnaround would be super great on a Giga though.

• Like 7

^Thats what I was saying. Some people include it as a Stengel dive due to the fact that it is a high bank at the top of a hill, even though it does not fit the exact definition of a Stengel dive. Technically, I would consider it a reverse Stengel, as it is a high banking turn into a camelback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

^What is that from/what is the validity/reliability of that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the 100 reasons to get a gold pass chalkboard. Not high reliability but still.

Meaning it would be very easy to write it with your finger if you wanted to.

• Like 2

Teal is a blue-green color and these were a more yellow to slightly lime-green color. But they were awesome, no doubt. Appeared to be ostrich-leather.

f55ccbde7bfa4e5c879501e62a31f659.jpg

I asked Mr. Speigel about them as I took the pic, which unfortunately didn't focus, and he mentioned he had them custom made when he was in an Asian country (I'm blanking on which one he mentioned)

I think he chose them to go with the Wyoming shirt he had on under his suit jacket. But then again, his pocket square has a lime green hue as well, so it may have been an intentional nod to speculation he may have caught wind of.

4b9fd04b89a30abe8ecdc1c7c85afe0f.jpg

Always ever vigilant Magenta Lizard!  I really think he was in costume either as a clue dropper or as a diversion.  Either way, it was a classic.  Such a great speaker.  Could listen to him "tell this story" for hours.

• Like 9

The lack of general clearing could also be due to the work for White Water Canyon the park cannot get heavy equipment into the site yet. At this point the earliest they could try is a week after the concrete is poured to allow it time to cure, it would not be at full strength after a week but it should be good enough. It would be tough trying to get access from the other side due to the slope and the train tracks. The other easy way into the site is down the midway and through the wood fence.

And I would assume concrete will be poured this week, as the plan was to have WWC open for Memorial Day weekend.

Whether that happens or not, there are only a few people who know.

When I rode the train Saturday, the announcer mentioned WWC would only reopen "later this summer" instead of Memorial Day weekend as was previously posted here.

• Like 4

Hi Everyone,

Been lurking on these boards for quite some time (all the way back to the "Ride Sally Ride" days). 

Everything below is purely speculative and my own opinion after reading/ gathering information from multiple enthusiast sites and trying to connect the dots (please keep in mind that I think whatever is happening in Rivertown for 2017 is not the location of a Giga if/ when the park installs one). Stay with me here, I'll try to keep this post as fluid as possible...

Currently WWC is closed due to a new entrance and from previous discussion here, pumps previously used in the water reservoir are being renovated/ and or replaced. Taking a queue from someone who likes to ask questions on these boards, I asked why would the park do this? Old/ outdated pumps is a reasonable answer, but could it be that a new/ relocated attraction that puts a higher demand that the current water equipment is unable to handle another possibility? 

The correct terminology is a footing.  Footer is slang term.  Just like when people say, "that cement sidewalk," they are using the wrong terminology.  Cement is an ingredient in concrete.  It is the glue that holds the sand, aggregate and other admixtures together.  It reacts chemically with the water in the mixture in a process called hydration.

Onto the subject of the trees.  When the train originally opened, the trees that were behind the train station and by White Water Canyon were far fewer and much smaller than they are today.  Trees grow over time.  

I was hoping to ride the train last night during the pass holder preview event (it was down) and was down again this morning when I was at the park, so couldn`t check anything out first hand.  It will be interesting to see what develops...  

Remember, Carowinds moved their Xtreme Skyflyer the season before Fury 325 came into existence, just like Cedar Point moved the Tiki Twirl a season before ValRavn came into existence.  Just like KI moved the funnel cake stand...

With reference to the last (underlined) sentence here, I think Congo Falls is being relocated in 2017. The only other CF park I have visited is CP, but if memory serves, all water/ flume rides were in the same area of the park (please correct me if i am wrong here. It has been many years since I've been able to visit Ohio again). This would put WWC, Congo, and RFYLCB all right next to one another. 

More tree clearing..... Behind Congo Falls and Invertigo...

This leads me to a rumor not found on this site that the addition of a Giga would likely see the demise of Drop Tower (an INTAMIN install that seems to have issues w/ downtime) and Invertigo. I can't put together a reason for axing Invertigo, so take it as you will. But this potential cleared area could certainly hold a station and a long break run that comes with a Giga. Falling trees around Invertigo would be very interesting IMO.....

I know a popular location for #teamgiga on here is Coney Mall, (Flight Commander area) but isn't there an issue with the bedrock in the area and installing large weight bearing structures?

I know this is a lot of change/ work for one attraction (and very unlikely), and IMO falling trees could still be anything at this point. Anyway, sorry for the long post but if you stuck with me, thank you! I look forward to decoding with everyone in the next few months!

• Like 9