Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

I'm still salty that Banshee didn't win. It's not just that it didn't win, but that it lost to Flying Turns out of everything that year. I thought it was going to be between Goliath, Helix, and Banshee, and out of that great year of new coasters, Flying Turns won...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 9

IMO if it's a wooden coaster or anything shorter and slower than DB, it would be total waste of money. Gigas are by far the best coasters on Earth. It's all about speed and height. Wooden coasters are inferior to steel and cost a ton more to maintain.

Someone should tell Six Flags that and get the ball rolling on removing every single RMC install and replacing them with gigas at all of their parks.

Also, Worlds of Fun's Prowler beat the taller, faster Diamondback in the 2009 Golden Ticket Awards. Not saying those awards are meaningful or anything (they aren't)...

You mean the Golden Joke Awards? Yes, that is what I think of them. Oh, and this year they are being held at CP. I would put money that "SHOCKER" Valravn wins best new ride.

They do give KI the top kids area every year. CP is by far the best park on Earth though.

• Like 5

I think it isn't simply because there is not 1 visible footer poured yet. While giga coasters take a lot of time and pieces you also have to take into account that there will not be nearly as much shipping time with it being so close to the park, theoretically giving them more time. I am just thinking that it is rather early for track to show up when Fury didn't even show up until mid June.

• Like 4

How much does location really matter in this case?  Sure, it saves the park a few nickles when the track manufacturer is so close, but the shipping schedule is just a matter of timing so the piece arrive when they are ready to either go vertical or be stored on site somewhere.  Once the first piece is shipped, the rest is shipped in order that the park needs them and no matter if that shipping process takes an hour or a day, all you are saving is cost (from the parks perspective) and perhaps some risk that a piece gets dinged up in an accident.  Its not going to save them significantly much time in the grand scheme of building a roller coaster.  CSF doesn't have an "off the shelf" product that they can ship to KI in 10 days once the order is placed, the manufacturing process and shipping process is all set well in advance.  Location matters very little, outside of the cost benefits KI would see.

• Like 7

Hello, friends. I've been reading this thread since the very beginning. VERY long time lurker, first time poster. I was at Kings Island yesterday and noticed something I haven't noticed before. While on Diamondback, right before pulling back into the station while the next train is unloading, and just before the roofing with all the hair ties and garbage on it, a ways back in the grass there was a little blue row boat. On it was the name "Tin Man" I don't know if this is something that's always been there and I've just not observed it, (entirely possible) or if it could be some sort of clue. If I would have been able to catch a picture of it I totally would have.

• Like 6

Hello, friends. I've been reading this thread since the very beginning. VERY long time lurker, first time poster. I was at Kings Island yesterday and noticed something I haven't noticed before. While on Diamondback, right before pulling back into the station while the next train is unloading, and just before the roofing with all the hair ties and garbage on it, a ways back in the grass there was a little blue row boat. On it was the name "Tin Man" I don't know if this is something that's always been there and I've just not observed it, (entirely possible) or if it could be some sort of clue. If I would have been able to catch a picture of it I totally would have.

Welcome BeastlyBanshee! Magenta Lizzard captured a picture of the Tin Man and it's posted about halfway back in the thread some place. Did you happen to see a clearing of trees near the hammerhead of Diamondback while you were riding? I still haven't seen it for myself. Might have to head up to the park and wait an hour to see it.... Tehehe!

• Like 3

Welcome BeastlyBanshee! Magenta Lizzard captured a picture of the Tin Man and it's posted about halfway back in the thread some place. Did you happen to see a clearing of trees near the hammerhead of Diamondback while you were riding? I still haven't seen it for myself. Might have to head up to the park and wait an hour to see it.... Tehehe!

I have looked but haven't seen it either.

any visible stickers?

None that I can see as a passenger. They look to be facing away from the road. Didn't get a good look. Just saw alot of new lime green pieces.

Sent from an Indestructible Phone

• Like 4

I am not convinced this is coming from Bollinger & mabilard. Cedar Point had raptor & mantis then did not use Bollinger & mabilard for over a decade.

Going to bite the bait here. Beast gal, please look up the number of B&M installations in Cedar Fair parks since 2009 when Diamondback was installed. You are looking way too far back just to prove your point. If we look at the very near past, the last Intamin installation in a Cedar Fair was I305 and B&M has consistently installed rides in Cedar Fair park.

• Like 9

I also remember reading a while back that someone had said there was land clearing going on behind Congo falls and Invertigo. But I observed the area from the top of Drop Tower and while there was a cherry picker parked there, it didn't appear there had been much clearing. That whole area has a bunch of metal barriers used at TimberWolf during concerts and things. If there is work being done in that area it's not for anything they have a rush on, that's for sure. And with there officially being no plans to gigatize the Kings Parks entrances I would say there's probably not going to be a whole lot to watch over there.

• Like 5

Some of you probably already know this (or probably know even more) but according to RCDB, there are apparently two Happy Valley parks in China. Both are getting two coasters each. One is getting a B&M Wing and the other is getting a B&M Dive (they are both getting woodies as well).

http://rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&op=2017

I have brought this up multiple times...

• Like 1

I'm going to go out on a limb and say from the pictures I have seen that this isn't dive coaster track. Dive coasters have a noticeably thicker spine and these look more like the usual B&M spine. We obviously will know more in the future whether that be from seeing the sticker on the track or some footings at KI. 

Also wasn't Silver Dollar City rumored to be getting a new B&M for 2017? That is another possible park for this green track.

• Like 10

I'm going to go out on a limb and say from the pictures I have seen that this isn't dive coaster track. Dive coasters have a noticeably thicker spine and these look more like the usual B&M spine. We obviously will know more in the future whether that be from seeing the sticker on the track or some footings at KI. 

Also wasn't Silver Dollar City rumored to be getting a new B&M for 2017? That is another possible park for this green track.

But keep in mind that a few of the newer Dive Machines B&M has made have only 6 across on their trains and the track looks fairly similar to the track they use on their coasters that are 4 across.  

• Like 6

I was thinking Dive Coaster or Wing Coaster until I saw the track. IF that green track belongs to KI, my guess seems unlikely. (Maybe it was unlikely anyway. It's based on a gut feeling more than anything.)

Why do you think they are only doing 6 across on Dive Machines these days? If they can do 10, why wouldn't they want that extra capacity? Is it so they can do tighter maneuvers on inversions?

• Like 4