Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

The piece of track that starts to taper off on one end is that the piece with a cut out for trim breaks? Sorry if this is a dumb question. I'm assuming that's what those circle cut outs are?

Actually I think I see circle cut outs on a few different pieces pictured.

• Like 4

Even if those pieces aren't coming to KI (I hope they are), that green is screaming.

If it is for us, what color will the supports be? Please, no more "Shades of Blue" (J.Lo I love your show honey). But seriously, what color would look good with this shade of green besides white or grey? Mmm....

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

I think a rust-color like Valravn would look nice on the supports. Maybe a little more brown than orange.
  • Like 6

The green and orange thing was started by someone claiming this year's cup colors were a clue. You know, rather than tropical orange and green being chosen for some... other... plunging reason.

Personally I still feel the colors of the cups mean nothing. The entire chain is using the same colors.

• Like 13

Good point about the chain-wide thing. I hadn't even thought that deeply about it.

My current feeling is that antique cars are coming back. My husband (who knows very little of the history or rumors) and I have a bet on what is coming. He thinks it will be a new, larger log flume. My side of the bet is for a coaster even though I'm back to kinda thinking it isn't a coaster again.

• Like 6

Well, for one, Kings Island's last family coaster was arguably what's now Flying Aces, which, a bunch of those attractions since Adventure Express were either specifically for the kids area or have/had a 50+ inch requirement. There's been a severe lack of rides in the middle ground added since Adventure Express (which started at 44" for its requirement along with Racer having that mark as well, there was a big surge of anger from the GP when they got moved up to 48"). And before you say Backlot, I don't consider a coaster with a grey out inducing helix to be a true family coaster, not to mention its capacity is terrible. There's a big gap between rides that are Planet Snoopy-esque and the rides with a 48" height requirement. Sure, the flats in Coney Mall, Woodstock Express, Flying Aces, and a few others, but there's not much else, and certainly not another coaster that fits that bill. That's not a lot for a park the size and stature of Kings Island.

So you couldn't name a park with a better lineup of family coasters? That's about what I expected.

You're asking for a coaster to fit a very specific age gap that covers about 2 years of age, for a park that already has a couple coasters that fit that exact age range. I just don't understand how people can say that's KI's biggest coaster gap.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Like 5

This may be a dumb question, but would track pieces already be getting assembled for a coaster build that hasn't even broken ground yet?

If it is a big enough coaster, then yes. Also, they are only being built/manufactured/fabricated now. Not assembled.

Sent from an Indestructible Phone

• Like 3

Well, for one, Kings Island's last family coaster was arguably what's now Flying Aces, which, a bunch of those attractions since Adventure Express were either specifically for the kids area or have/had a 50+ inch requirement. There's been a severe lack of rides in the middle ground added since Adventure Express (which started at 44" for its requirement along with Racer having that mark as well, there was a big surge of anger from the GP when they got moved up to 48"). And before you say Backlot, I don't consider a coaster with a grey out inducing helix to be a true family coaster, not to mention its capacity is terrible. There's a big gap between rides that are Planet Snoopy-esque and the rides with a 48" height requirement. Sure, the flats in Coney Mall, Woodstock Express, Flying Aces, and a few others, but there's not much else, and certainly not another coaster that fits that bill. That's not a lot for a park the size and stature of Kings Island.

So you couldn't name a park with a better lineup of family coasters? That's about what I expected.

You're asking for a coaster to fit a very specific age gap that covers about 2 years of age, for a park that already has a couple coasters that fit that exact age range. I just don't understand how people can say that's KI's biggest coaster gap.

Agreed. However, an addition of a nice spinning coaster/a nice, unique wild mouse would be great I few years down the road when the older teens and adults are satisfied with a giga (hopefully) and maybe 1 or 2 thrill rides a few years down the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Let's go over what many people consider to be KI's 'family coasters'.

First off, I will give you Bat, Flying Aces, and Woodstock Express.

Adventure Express- Awfully jerky for a family coaster with Arrow's jerks and bumps (that's why its a 5 on the thrill index people, its about body control and the sudden forces), it may not be to you, an enthusiast who's ridden it a lot, but its a big thing I hear from the GP (I listen and observe GP all the time when I go, its part of why I'm into psychology as a major)

Backlot- As stated earlier- a grey out inducing helix, the sudden s-curves (especially before the drop that leads to the helicopter scene), and a pretty sudden launch

Along with the height restrictions, I'm also thinking of rides that aren't as strong on the different g-forces and/or are shorter in height.  Something like Jaguar at Knott's or a Mack Wild Mouse, a coaster that can be a 3 or 4 on KI's scale.  Most GP will judge a ride on those type of signs.  I mean come on, KI's last 4 coasters (Backlot, Firehawk, Diamondback, Banshee) were all high thrill rides.  Also, some older folks who still like coasters don't ride a lot at KI because they lack rides that aren't as forceful.  Why shouldn't KI cater to those demographics? 

• Like 2