Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

Sometimes experimenting is good, but the three GG woodies I've ridden (Voyage, Hades, and Ravine Flyer II) are all very rough rides, and while I really enjoy two of them, one of them has taken the title of my absolute least favorite ride at any amusement park.

Oh, and when a self-proclaimed Dinn-Summers fan says that he thinks a coaster is rough, that should really say something.

• Like 7

I don't dislike Gatekeeper, but I don't absolutely love it, either. It's kinda...meh. It's like stuffing with Thanksgiving dinner. I don't love it, nor do I hate it, but it's just kind of...there.

Gatekeeper > stuffing.

Like, a whole bunch. :)

I hate stuffing.

• Like 3

Sometimes experimenting is good, but the three GG woodies I've ridden (Voyage, Hades, and Ravine Flyer II) are all very rough rides, and while I really enjoy two of them, one of them has taken the title of my absolute least favorite ride at any amusement park.

Oh, and when a self-proclaimed Dinn-Summers fan says that he thinks a coaster is rough, that should really say something.

And this is why GCI doesn't build massive woodies. They just become too aggressive and rough when they're that tall and fast. I'm also a Dinn/Summers fan. Their coasters get too much hate. Except Predator. It really is that bad.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If any fan base should know how pushing the limits on a woodie usually go, shouldn't it be us considering our park just parted from one that tried to do just that not too long ago?  KI does not want SOB 2.0, which is what I think GG is heading towards as a company.   GCI has a pretty clean track record with their coasters (sans Gwazi, but they've certainly gotten better since then). 

• Like 3

Is it possible that they could be expanding Rivertown, so that whatever they are building will be further back where they can build more rides later?

When the park built Top Gun (aka Flight Deck/The Bat), they had to extend Action Zone really far back just for that ride, where they later added other rides. Same thing when they built Outer Limits Flight of Fear, they had to build that whole new area behind The Racers where they also added more stuff later.

I really don't see much room in Rivertown at all, and it needs to expand. If they don't expand it now, then it seems it might run out of room to add more rides later.

I think they are expanding Rivertown, but the ride they are adding, I still don't know what it could be.

Update:

Something I just thought of, if they are expanding Rivertown further back, then Whitewater Canyon could have a new shorter entrance and exit than what it is now, and the bridges that are apart of Whitewater Canyons entrance and exit now (with the bridges over the railroad tracks) could become paths to get to the new expanded section of Rivertown.

• Like 4

Voyage rough? Today I thought it was smooth for a wooden coaster. Aggressive? Very. Rough? Not more than a normal wooden. I mean, I could have ridden it on a great day and you could have ridden on a terrible day, but still, I'd have to argue its smoother than The Racer. I, a spritely young teenager, cannot ride it unless I get a center seat because of the jack hammering. It is unbearable for me and I have to wait a while to even get on another ride.

As for the two CCI coasters, the Legend was pretty smooth, probably due to retracking, while the Raven was rougher than the rest, but not unbearable. I'd say these smooth rides are due in part to upkeep by the park itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Voyage rough? Today I thought it was smooth for a wooden coaster. Aggressive? Very. Rough? Not more than a normal wooden. I mean, I could have ridden it on a great day and you could have ridden on a terrible day, but still, I'd have to argue its smoother than The Racer. I, a spritely young teenager, cannot ride it unless I get a center seat because of the jack hammering. It is unbearable for me and I have to wait a while to even get on another ride.

As for the two CCI coasters, the Legend was pretty smooth, probably due to retracking, while the Raven was rougher than the rest, but not unbearable. I'd say these smooth rides are due in part to upkeep by the park itself.

Last year, the Legend was the second roughest woodie I'd ever ridden. It was VERY rough. I don't consider Voyage "rough" because it's such an aggressive and violent coaster that there is no way it could ever be "smooth." I still wonder how it would've ridden with the Timberliners. But I know they didn't help Hades much. Granted Mt Olympus doesn't maintain their rides well. I don't think RFII is very rough though. Again, they're all just very aggressive woodies. Millennium Flyers on the Voyage might be nice...but Holiday World seems to love their PTCs (which in all honesty i'm not the biggest fan of)

The Voyage also received a good amount of track work this off season though. And it is definitely smoother than the Raven this year.

• Like 2

^Sometimes experimenting is good. Look at B&M for example

This is true, but the most experimental thing GCI has ever done was

use a steel support structure...

Huh?

Comet, The Great Escape, A Member Of The Six Flags Theme Park Family, née Crystal Beach, Canada, née The Crystal Beach Cyclone.

Coney Island Cyclone, Brooklyn, NYC

I could go on for days.

What, pray tell, is experimental about a wooden coaster on a steel frame? And NO ONE called those grand woodies hybrids before a few years ago.

On the other hand:

Nitro's restraints. First ever such.

Floorless coasters--see Medusa now Bizzaro at NJFTP.

Sit down looper seating position. Compare all B&M's since to Kumba.

To say B&M doesn't experiment is to be a stereotypical enthusiast who cannot be bothered with facts or to blissfully go along with convention--not knowing any better.

One more:

Look at older B&M supports, say on Nitro. Look at the huge ball bearings...watch the evolution since.

• Like 10

I thought HW was great today. Only problem I had was that one train voyage thing. However, after the second train was added, I walked on a couple more times. In fact, I got on the very last ride of the night on the voyage, in the front right seat, having the whole front car to myself . It felt like I was alone and was insane! Could GCI possibly make a coaster like The Voyage/if the can, would they?

Also, Thunderbird is great as well. I hope B&M does more launched coasters as I thought the launch was great as it was sort of drawn out, pretty intense, and incredibly quiet. Thunderbird is much better than Gatekeeper in my opinion.

I don't think GCI would ever build something as massive as the Voyage. That's just not their style. But for the right money, who knows. They might. GCI tends to play it safe and do what they do best. GG will really push the boundaries and do insane things with their woodies. I mean look at Switchback and Hades...

Oh really? I give you Viper GCI's largest coaster yet.

http://www.greatcoasters.com/?p=viper

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I work for a company that produces large diameter ball and roller bearings. I have made bearings for Universal Theme parks and SIX on occasion. I knew they went on basically any flat that spins but those are smaller bearings maybe a couple feet in diameter. Wasn't aware there were bearings on coasters supports.

• Like 3

I have to say, i've ridden all of the wooden coasters at HW, and none of them seemed rough to me. None of the ones at KI seem rough to me either. Now Vortex on the other hand.......very.

• Like 3

That was close. Interestingly enough, Banshee details were leaked in exactly the same way.

On the other hand, the park has been known to leave hidden images & pages on their site for testing layouts and/or teasing curious fans. Recall a 199' B&M wing coaster named The Bat...

Tease, mistake, or layout test? Regardless, people are talking about KI 2017!

• Like 14

Food for thought.....

@GlauserDan13 on Twitter:

"Came across this FB error by accident."

CghOONO.jpg

Photo : Daniel Glauser / @GlauserDan via Twitter

If this was true, it really isn't much of a hint. It could be "Longest and fastest wing coaster," Tallest and fastest wooden coaster," "Longest and fastest giga coaster," "Tallest and fastest coaster in the park," etc. in fact, it could be referring to the longest and fastest kiddie coaster, or even the shortest and fastest route to Kings Island. Although it is a nice teaser to keep people talking about the project, I wouldn't look much into it.

• Like 4

They did learn, after Gatekeeper's entire website leaked in advance of the announcement. Parts of the real Banshee site didn't leak until the morning of announcement day.

Cedar Fair's web team knows by now that fans like to read CSS files and guess URLs.

• Like 8