Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

Personally, I like both KI and CP. Cedar Point does have more of a destination park/"you've arrived" vibe, especially with Gatekeeper/the new front gate and Luminosity; Kings Island is familiar as it's been my home park for a number of years. Ridewise, Magnum > Diamondback, Banshee > Raptor, Adventure Express > CCMR and Beast > Mean Streak. 

• Like 10

I don't know if it's just me, but while watching the Diamondback camera, I noticed that there is a larger clearing of trees than what used to be by the train shed and WWC station. I haven't been to the park yet this year (stuck at college doing 5 week summer classes), but it definitely looks different than it did when I watched the cameras a few weeks ago. Do they really need to clear a ton of trees everywhere for a coaster? If I had to guess, I'd say that if it is a coaster, we will start to see footers poured before the end of June at the latest. Currently jumping on the giga bandwagon because I think a woodie would require more clearing than there has been. Whatever it is I am already excited for it! Time will tell...

• Like 12

Let's see, I strongly prefer KI over CP. I also prefer in no particular order KD, Carowinds, Worlds of Fun, Dorney and a bunch of other parks over CP. Let's start at the bottom of my list. Six Flags America, CP. I heard I need to go back to Six Flags America though because I might have gone on a bad day.

While the view from Millie is nice, you get an equally beautiful view of Lake Erie from another park - Waldamere Park on a coaster that far surpasses Millie named Ravine Flyer II. What an amazing coaster.

I305 far surpasses Millie. It doesn't need something pretty to distract you from how amazing it is.

The only wow at CP is Maverick and that is only since it received new restraints. I am hoping KI doesn't get anything like Maverick though. I want something more unique to KI than what other Cedar Fair parks have to offer. I really do not want an Intamin, I am sure that is not happening. I really do not think that B&M can one up Banshee, but would love to see them try.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Honestly you could combine all other CF parks into one and CP would be better.

• Like 2

Whew. I was worried new pictures and descriptions of the destruction area and a tweet directly concerning project 2017 from the park was going to distract the decoding thread from its important job of discussing Cedar Point! I'm glad that didn't happen! ;)

I'm very curious about the reservoir seemingly being a nexus of the "paths" that we've seen. There are the "set pile" markers along the (tiny) gorge just next to the reservoir and train tracks, and then the trees either knocked down or marked for it on the other side of the reservoir near the turntable. Maybe my husband is right and this is going to be a new water ride of some sort.

I'm also curious about Engineer Steve's comment during the train tour about the train having a different experience next year. But, that could go along with nearly anything, flat ride, water ride, or coaster. Heck, it already has a somewhat different experience with the new crossing.

• Like 23

Whew. I was worried new pictures and descriptions of the destruction area and a tweet directly concerning project 2017 from the park was going to distract the decoding thread from its important job of discussing Cedar Point! I'm glad that didn't happen! ;)

I'm very curious about the reservoir seemingly being a nexus of the "paths" that we've seen. There are the "set pile" markers along the (tiny) gorge just next to the reservoir and train tracks, and then the trees either knocked down or marked for it on the other side of the reservoir near the turntable. Maybe my husband is right and this is going to be a new water ride of some sort.

I'm also curious about Engineer Steve's comment during the train tour about the train having a different experience next year. But, that could go along with nearly anything, flat ride, water ride, or coaster. Heck, it already has a somewhat different experience with the new crossing.

I'm looking back at the picture and it makes me wonder, if something were to go over it, (say a coaster) would a woodie have sufficient room to go through there? I know it would be much easier for a steel coaster due to the support design and narrower track, but I haven't seen this area in person so I don't know how wide it is.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Well, if you go to the right of this picture 473fba2137a3de16bc2a3baab599e0b4.jpg

there are no unmarked trees (or marked ones), or anything else that would need clearance, just the two queue lines.

And if you turn around and look behind you from where I was standing, you more or less see this:

11ad23c57522e73f3e6699b232f74a57.jpg

which is a wide area mostly already cleared, and the trees that remain have green spray painted markings too.

So that area, at least, I would say it is enough room to not be able to make any assumptions about wood or steel.

Maddening, right? :)

• Like 14

I find Kings Island to be better than Cedar Point for the fact that KI still has charm. To be fair, I am more familiar with Kings Island, considering I live only 5 minutes from the park. In terms of rides, Banshee trumps Raptor and Diamondback barely surpasses Magnum in my book, but in my eyes those are really the only coasters that can adequately be compared. Yes, I know CP has Dragster, but as I have stated before, I find the ride to be overrated, along with many other rides (Gatekeeper, Rou, and even the new Valravn). Arguably, some would agree the same can be said for rides at Kings Island. I am not saying Cedar Point is not a good park, but I am saying it is not the best park, even if it is crowned "The Coaster Capital of the World".

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

• Like 11

Let's see, I strongly prefer KI over CP. I also prefer in no particular order KD, Carowinds, Worlds of Fun, Dorney and a bunch of other parks over CP. Let's start at the bottom of my list. Six Flags America, CP. I heard I need to go back to Six Flags America though because I might have gone on a bad day.

While the view from Millie is nice, you get an equally beautiful view of Lake Erie from another park - Waldamere Park on a coaster that far surpasses Millie named Ravine Flyer II. What an amazing coaster.

I305 far surpasses Millie. It doesn't need something pretty to distract you from how amazing it is.

The only wow at CP is Maverick and that is only since it received new restraints. I am hoping KI doesn't get anything like Maverick though. I want something more unique to KI than what other Cedar Fair parks have to offer. I really do not want an Intamin, I am sure that is not happening. I really do not think that B&M can one up Banshee, but would love to see them try.

Opinions vary.

• Like 3

I have a love for KI over CP as well! The charm and setting of the park is the reason I drive an extra two hours each coaster trip and the reason I have a platinum pass! There is something special about KI that has made me feel like I rather visit there than anywhere else, within driving distance for a quick #staycation, I have CP 2hrs and 40mins away, MIA 3.5hrs away, SFGAm 5hrs away and KI is 4hrs 45mins but I visit KI the most.

Back on decoding... The excess clearing of trees around the WWC queue/exit is very mysterious indeed... Project 2017 could be KI's biggest Coaster yet, the clearing out by the waterpark all the way out to Diamondback's hammerhead...

• Like 8

This is false.

Maybe they are not doing a coaster at all. Maybe they are clearing the land for water park expansion.

We just got Tropical Plunge this year but I guess anything is possible, as of now I am currently thinking this could be a coaster but I am just decoding like the rest of the bunch lol

• Like 3

I grew up thinking KI was the best park in the world. Then I visited Cedar Point in 02 at the age of 21. KI was ruined for me and I know I'm not the only one. KI is always going to be special as it was the 1st legitimate park I visited as a kid. I know there is no chance KI will ever compare to CP, but it would be nice to have a giga as it may contend with Millennium. I am pretty sure the people here that complain about Intamin are just jealous of CP. Yes B&Ms are reliable(lack of tech), but they are decades behind Intamin. TTD, MF, and Maverick crush any non giga B&M and MF is better than fury due to the cable lift and lake. If a giga is not installed, it's just a sign CF is content with KI being just mediocre and that's sad.

I strongly agree.

• Like 1

I grew up thinking KI was the best park in the world. Then I visited Cedar Point in 02 at the age of 21. KI was ruined for me and I know I'm not the only one. KI is always going to be special as it was the 1st legitimate park I visited as a kid. I know there is no chance KI will ever compare to CP, but it would be nice to have a giga as it may contend with Millennium. I am pretty sure the people here that complain about Intamin are just jealous of CP. Yes B&Ms are reliable(lack of tech), but they are decades behind Intamin. TTD, MF, and Maverick crush any non giga B&M and MF is better than fury due to the cable lift and lake. If a giga is not installed, it's just a sign CF is content with KI being just mediocre and that's sad.

I strongly agree.

Decades behind Intamin, ha. B&M has a far superior safety record. That's what matters.

• Like 11