Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

I have heard nothing about KD other then Hurler getting changed for next year. Although I can see a dark ride coming soon because they have no large pieces of land that I can see a coaster going into, now if Delirium wasn't placed in the middle of where Shockwave was standing then maybe they could have seen a coaster soon.

• Like 2

I haven't, I have basically been confined to Ohio for the past few years. The only reason I got to ride Fury is because I got to make a stop with my Family on vacation. I know from pictures of Gronalund that coasters can be built in close proximity and small spaces, but with Delirium built in the middle of shock waves land kind of makes it hard to build in that area imo.

• Like 2

What years dos they go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, there's me (2014), my roommate (both in college and now) (2015), and the other two are older, one graduating in the late 80s and the other, who just started a few days ago, is probably a 90s grad if I had to guess, but he's not in my department and I've only even seen him once, so I can't be certain.
  • Like 4

Ever been to Kennywood? Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk? Indiana Beach, even?

Good old Indiana Beach...the park with a coaster on top of a restaurant.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I'll be going to Indiana Beach on June 24th, and staying the weekend. My daughter isnt tall enough for most of the coasters at KI, so she can go on 2 coasters at IB, that seem way more intense than Woodstock Express (not saying i never liked it, but you know).

• Like 2

On the fun side of this topic, if someone were (or knew) a pilot and flew over the area with a camera and shared them here...would that be in violation of any KI or KIC rules/policies? I don't have a sectional chart in front of me, but know KI is skirting Class B air space, which means it's 'under' Class C air space, but I think it's legal to fly there under FAA rules (if maintaining proper altitude etc).

This what you are looking for?

Sent from an Indestructible Phone

Oh, I wasn't looking for the sectional, I just didn't have one in front of me when I made my post.

I was wondering if posting any pics taken while flying over the park would be a no-no.

This was done sometime in the past. I just don't remember if it was on KICentral or KIExtreme, and I have no idea if permission was granted by the park.

Technically, I don't think there's any law (currently) that would restrict someone from say...flying a drone over Kings Island. Airspace above a certain threshold is fair game, as long as you don't violate 400 feet and the drone has a valid permit with the FAA.. But this is pure speculation, and I do not endorse or recommend anyone doing this.

• Like 2

From KI FAQ website about drones

All drones (Unmanned Aerial Systems) are prohibited at (in) all Cedar Fair parks, including Kings Island, and any unauthorized drone(s) observed over Kings Island will be reported to the FAA and local law enforcement, regardless of its point of origin or operation. Drones may pose a potential safety risk and may violate Federal Aviation Administration guidelines.

• Like 8

I get that Kings Island prohibits them. But above a certain height, you no longer own the airspace. They couldn't do anything about it if the drone is over an area free of people and above a certain height. Not even a big corporation like Cedar Fair can prohibit them, unless there is something like a local ordinance or state law that prohibits it.

• Like 4

Kings Island also has lots of unpopulated areas. Like near the river. And near a very specific area of woods, that are not highly populated or have high structures. I'm not condoning it, but if the FAA hasn't deemed Kings Island a restricted area like a baseball/football stadium or a race track, it's fair game. Feel free to research the topic yourselves.

• Like 2

Even if it is legal, I personally would not do it. If something were to happen, there would be lawsuits for ages and a pretty large chunk of change taken from your wallet. Do what you want, but there are to many risks and not enough rewards. Plus, we'll learn soon enough, so why even have a little risk?

• Like 7

Unless Don is personally operating one to showcase progress on Project 2017 construction, don't expect to see any drones flying around Kings Island anytime soon. The park has enough trouble trying to dissuade goers from (un)intentionally dropping objects from atop rides and towers; we don't need a re-enactment of the Fabio incident with a UFO in place of a goose on Diamondback.

• Like 11

Sorry I'm late, just needed to chime in on this discussion about the merits of Millennium Force and Cedar Point.

IMHO, it is by far the weakest of the North American giga coasters. I find it roughly as interesting as a bucket of lukewarm dishwater (I apologize to alll the buckets of dishwater in the world for that comparison). I think it is the second most overrated coaster I've ever ridden (first being Hades, which was just so incredibly awful that if even one person has ever said ONE good thing about it, it's overrated). Furthermore, the ONLY coasters at Cedar Point on which I have less fun than Millennium Force are Iron Dragon and Woodstock Express.

Where Cedar Point shines for me are food and Live-E. Dragon Inn corn dogs are the bomb and cheese on a stick may be the greatest thing ever created by mankind. Luminosity is leagues better in terms of production value than anything KI has or ever has ever had in my memory, excluding perhaps Cirque. But Cedar Point's coaster lineup, to me is basically Maggie, The Streaks, Raptor, Maverick, and a bunch of filler to pad their coaster count. I haven't ridden Valravn yet, so I will hold comments on that until I have. But Cedar Point wins big points with me for Cedar Downs. I could marathon that awesome ride all day long.

In terms of rides, Cedar Point is not my least favorite park in the chain *COUGH*Canada'sWonderland*COUGH* but it's close. Cedar Point has a whole lot of decent coasters. Unfortunately, the vast majority are just that. Decent.

Personally, if I'm looking for a park with a whole bunch of coasters where every single one of them is right up my alley, I make my way up to SFGAm.

From your photo you must be one of the few people in this world that love Saturn.
Kinda funny that this is something Devan would have said to you.
  • Like 8

Drones are not permitted over any of KI property regardless of how populated, or what occupies the land.   The rules for this are set by both the FAA and KI.  Every thing you wanted to know about flying drones and the regulations involved can be found here.   A lot of it is very general and can be interpreted in many ways, so read carefully. 

https://www.faa.gov/uas/regulations_policies/

Also there are certain regulations regarding general aviation aircraft flying over a venue such as KI such as altitude and type of flying.(e.g. acrobatic is prohibited)  I can go on but I am very busy designing Crazy Horse, the mag lev giga log flume with lim launch.

• Like 10

I'm not going to get into the fight about what coaster is better, but people need to remember that everyone has an opinion. No matter how many rides you have ridden your opinion isn't more important then someone else. I know people who prefer Racer over The Beast...that is an opinion and just becasue I don't see it the same way doesn't make them less of a coaster fan to me. 

As for actual decoding, we know there is something going on in Rivertown. We have some clearing and markers, and officials keep mentioning that rides in the area "will be a new experience". I'm starting to lean toward team coaster but am keeping myself in check. Hopefully we will get some more hints or clues soon.

• Like 6

So assuming CF is adding a new coaster each year (as they seem to have been doing for quite a while and will be doing for next year,) we can at least eliminate parks that are not (likely) getting a coaster and go from there. We can cross off Cedar Point and Carowinds right away, they got the last two. Carowinds is getting a bunch of new flats, and who knows for Cedar Point so far (my guess would be a Soak City expansion due to the removal of most of Challenge Park.) If King's Dominion is getting a dark ride, that would probably mean no coaster. Worlds of Fun is also getting some new flats. So we are left with

Kings Island

CGA

Knott's

Valleyfair

Canada's Wonderland

Dorney

Michigan's Adventure

(I think I got them all)

Of all these parks, as far as I know KI is the only one that currently has any active construction. Michigan's Adventure is the most neglected park in the chain, they rarely get anything, a coaster would be unlikely. Dorney could use a new coaster, it's been a while since they got a "new" one. Valleyfair hasn't had one since 07, however I've heard a lot of rumors Excalibur will be removed for a Soak City expansion, and a ride can be torn down a lot quicker than built, so a coaster seems unlikely there. Canada's Wonderland has a fantastic and well rounded coaster lineup, but is a major park and will probably see a new one soon. CGA got its first coaster in 12 years in 2013..and was 7 years after Cedar Fair bought the park so it doesn't seem to be a high priority for them. Knott's is a possibility but I've heard land is very limited there (I've never been there) and they've been removing several flats so possibly new flats or a coaster? Again no construction there but with the climate there construction can start later.

Based on all of this KI seems the most likely candidate for the next coaster, seeing as there is construction, teasers, etc..

I may be overthinking this, and I'm just making predictions. But I really think we're getting a coaster.

And also, I apologize that this is so long.

• Like 5

And as far as Millenium Force being better than Fury? Bahahaha.

MF is by far better, no comparison. Chain lift...lol
You're entitled to your opinion, but Fury is taller, faster and has much better elements. And there's a reason why some people here refer to it as Millenium Forceless. It's boring.
I prefer Fury because the first time I rode it, it blew me away. It was so much better than I expected. MF was the opposite. I was extremely disappointed in it. Not intense, no airtime at all, but I don't think it's a bad coaster. But I'm a huge airtime fanatic and that's really what gives Fury the edge for me.

• Like 2