Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

If read the way i read the clues, I see us getting another big coaster. KI has 14 total "coasters" Subtract the smaller ones: Woodstock Express, Flying Ace Aerial Chase, and The Great Pumpkin Coaster, you will get the number of 12. The number on the blue train. I'm sure none of us consider Surf Dog a coaster.

14 - 3 = 12?

That's not what I was taught back in Caintuckee.

Terp -- who learns the darnest things here.

That's that new common core math.

Best post yet :lol:
Plus the new one.....

Sent from my N9130 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Every single other ride, the person who is operating the Control panel is always someone with a pure White tag. While with flat rides such as Delirium, WindSeeker, Gliders, or any other ride that is not a roller coaster, I have seen both Blue striped tags, and pure White tags driving them.

Surf Dog has Blue tags operating it. 

What I mean by tags, by the way, is name tags.

Sorry to bring this back up, but as of 2010 this isn't true.  That was the last season I was trained as a ride operator.

The rule is that on any Rollercoaster at KI there must be someone at least 18+ that is certified to be in the operator booth.  Whether or not that individual is in the booth or on the floor is inconsequential.  

When I was 17, I was certified on The Beast, Racer, Vortex, Flight of Fear, and Adventure Express.

This could have changed since then though.

• Like 3

I'm thinking some kind of flat ride maybe the something that Wonderland got this year. I personally think KI won't get a new coaster till maybe 2018 or 2017. And if it is a Giga it would make more sense to put it over close to The Bat were the old SOB station is

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

IMO, this would be the worst possible location for a giga.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Curious (really not trolling or being harsh)...

Is that statement hyperbolic? I would think so since there are plenty of other obvious choices that would be worse.

If not hyperbole, what makes you say that? Based on what we (think we) know, all we've seen so far is markers for a pathway. The fence itself isn't much larger than a queue entrance...the station house for the ride could be several hundred feet from the entrance/fence (like The Bat - seriously, the walk to/from is longer than the actual ride if there's minimal wait). It's possible any clearing being done for the actual ride can't be see from anywhere inside the park that guests can get to aside from the Eiffel Tower. And the view from the tower may be at an angle it's hard to perceive a path being cleared in the trees.

I'm gonna see if I can fly over the area in the next week or two just to see what it looks like from above.

In response to this, the reason I say it would be the worst possible space for a giga is due to the amount of rides currently in Action Zone. I never said it was impossible for one to go in that section of the park. Granted, if KI were to remove Congo Falls and Invertigo, it would free up some space and not have the area look so congested. I'm not degrading your opinion. I'm just simply stating mine.

Every single other ride, the person who is operating the Control panel is always someone with a pure White tag. While with flat rides such as Delirium, WindSeeker, Gliders, or any other ride that is not a roller coaster, I have seen both Blue striped tags, and pure White tags driving them.

Surf Dog has Blue tags operating it. 

What I mean by tags, by the way, is name tags.

Sorry to bring this back up, but as of 2010 this isn't true.  That was the last season I was trained as a ride operator.

The rule is that on any Rollercoaster at KI there must be someone at least 18+ that is certified to be in the operator booth.  Whether or not that individual is in the booth or on the floor is inconsequential.  

When I was 17, I was certified on The Beast, Racer, Vortex, Flight of Fear, and Adventure Express.

This could have changed since then though.

I believe you were a bit confused by what I wrote.

What I mean by Blue tags operating Surf Dog, I mean that Blue Tags are driving Surf Dog.

I am an Operator as of this day. And the rule is that only White Tags (people 18+) are the only people allowed to drive or operate Roller coasters.

------

Side note. I'm going to Mason sometime this week and I'll be looking at the plans for 2017. Awee~ yeah. 

• Like 3

I'm thinking some kind of flat ride maybe the something that Wonderland got this year. I personally think KI won't get a new coaster till maybe 2018 or 2017. And if it is a Giga it would make more sense to put it over close to The Bat were the old SOB station is

IMO, this would be the worst possible location for a giga.

Curious (really not trolling or being harsh)...

Is that statement hyperbolic? I would think so since there are plenty of other obvious choices that would be worse.

If not hyperbole, what makes you say that? Based on what we (think we) know, all we've seen so far is markers for a pathway. The fence itself isn't much larger than a queue entrance...the station house for the ride could be several hundred feet from the entrance/fence (like The Bat - seriously, the walk to/from is longer than the actual ride if there's minimal wait). It's possible any clearing being done for the actual ride can't be see from anywhere inside the park that guests can get to aside from the Eiffel Tower. And the view from the tower may be at an angle it's hard to perceive a path being cleared in the trees.

I'm gonna see if I can fly over the area in the next week or two just to see what it looks like from above.

In response to this, the reason I say it would be the worst possible space for a giga is due to the amount of rides currently in Action Zone. I never said it was impossible for one to go in that section of the park. Granted, if KI were to remove Congo Falls and Invertigo, it would free up some space and not have the area look so congested. I'm not degrading your opinion. I'm just simply stating mine.

I didn't mean to sound degrading, apologies if I did. I was just trying to understand why you thought it was the worst possible location. 

I really don't know if I agree or not. I really wouldn't mind seeing the rides you mentioned go, but I'm not really a fan of removing a ride to make way for a new one unless there are other factors involved (maintenance and downtime, etc) since there are people who enjoy those rides and I don't want to see someone else have less fun so I can have more.

It probably comes down to where crowds tend to form in the park. When I'm there, I see more crowds in Action Zone than Rivertown (aside from DB lines), probably because the area has one of the lower capacity coasters in Invertigo and the newest (and some say best) in Banshee. The wait for Drop Tower is usually rather long (not sure if this is a popularity or capacity issue, or both) as well as Delirium.

I would think adding a ride to the Rivertown would spread crowds out in the park a bit more, meaning more people to play the games and buy the food and merch in those areas. The lines for ice cream by Banshee and the other food/drink locations in the area always seem like a longer wait than in other parts of the park (aside from maybe Planet Snoopy, but not having small kids that area is a walk through for me).

Then again, I don't have a true understanding of how parks deal with people congregating in their properties. It seems to me, you'd want a relatively even distribution, but maybe that's something they don't really care about. Maybe I'm wrong on how parks would offer an incentive for guests to visit other areas, too. I really don't know.

• Like 1

I would rather have Invertigo stay and Congo Falls be removed. I just don't think Action Zone (in that location) would be a good fit for a Giga coaster. Rivertown is sure to get a resurgence following next year's addition. From the way I see it though, the "dead ends" of the park are by WindSeeker, Xbase, and The Bat.

• Like 5

I would rather have Invertigo stay and Congo Falls be removed. I just don't think Action Zone (in that location) would be a good fit for a Giga coaster. Rivertown is sure to get a resurgence following next year's addition. From the way I see it though, the "dead ends" of the park are by WindSeeker, Xbase, and The Bat.

It would fit in Action Zone only if it's floorless so that it keeps the "dangle" theme... ;)
  • Like 4

As of 2013 at Kings Island minors were allowed to 'drive' roller coasters and flat rides as long as an 18+ driver was on the floor / in the station. However, it wasn't many minors, as 'driving' is sort of seen as a privledge.

That was also 3 years ago so who knows what they might have implemented since then.

• Like 1

I didn't mean to sound degrading, apologies if I did. I was just trying to understand why you thought it was the worst possible location. 

I really don't know if I agree or not. I really wouldn't mind seeing the rides you mentioned go, but I'm not really a fan of removing a ride to make way for a new one unless there are other factors involved (maintenance and downtime, etc) since there are people who enjoy those rides and I don't want to see someone else have less fun so I can have more.

It probably comes down to where crowds tend to form in the park. When I'm there, I see more crowds in Action Zone than Rivertown (aside from DB lines), probably because the area has one of the lower capacity coasters in Invertigo and the newest (and some say best) in Banshee. The wait for Drop Tower is usually rather long (not sure if this is a popularity or capacity issue, or both) as well as Delirium.

I would think adding a ride to the Rivertown would spread crowds out in the park a bit more, meaning more people to play the games and buy the food and merch in those areas. The lines for ice cream by Banshee and the other food/drink locations in the area always seem like a longer wait than in other parts of the park (aside from maybe Planet Snoopy, but not having small kids that area is a walk through for me).

Then again, I don't have a true understanding of how parks deal with people congregating in their properties. It seems to me, you'd want a relatively even distribution, but maybe that's something they don't really care about. Maybe I'm wrong on how parks would offer an incentive for guests to visit other areas, too. I really don't know.

The old SOB station is basically unusable for a new coaster.  The location was never good to begin with, it is a bad idea to have dead ends in theme parks.  Beyond that there is no longer anywhere for the coaster to go.  If you look at a satellite view on Bing maps (google still shows SOB) you will see just how close Banshee comes to The Bat.  There is just simply nowhere for the ride to go.  If the park wanted to put a new coaster in this area it makes a lot more sense to replace the Skyflyer which would allow an easy path between The Bat and Timberwolf.

You are pretty much correct the park does want to spread out the rides so that they can spread out the crowds.

• Like 3

18+ are only allowed to drive roller coasters. Not sure when it was put into effect but that has been how I've seen it since last year and this year.

I'm 18+ and I can do things other than drive roller coasters.

Thankfully.

Terp -- who has done just about everything else but. (Thank goodness I am allowed to do things other than drive roller coasters).

• Like 17

I am an Operator as of this day. And the rule is that only White Tags (people 18+) are the only people allowed to drive or operate Roller coasters.

Just to quote myself.

You work at the park currently? Was confused when you said "Heading to Mason this week.."

Assumed you were from a park further north :)

• Like 1

^Although I think they'd start to get bored at around, say, Jupiter...

But those G-forces! :)

Well, that and the amazing view of the Great Red Spot. The radiation might make things a little... tingly.  Some riders won't be able to help themselves, though, shouting "O-H" to Jupiter's closest moon...............

• Like 6

What ever happens I just feel the north side of the park is better spacing for a giga. The Rivertown area seems a little tight to Squeeze in a Giga. But CF nows how to make things happen. So we will see. Would have been perfect t if they would have just made DB a giga. It's placement is perfect.

• Like 3

What ever happens I just feel the north side of the park is better spacing for a giga. The Rivertown area seems a little tight to Squeeze in a Giga. But CF nows how to make things happen. So we will see. Would have been perfect t if they would have just made DB a giga. It's placement is perfect.

Are you sure that you are at the required 14 yearof age to be on this site because you spelled knows as nows

• Like 2