Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

People are right when they say we are one the spoiled children of Cedar Fair. "Gosh darn it! Why didn't we get the roller coaster I preferred! Now we're getting a cheap wooden coaster?! Cedar Fair must hate us."

On the other hand, I am very glad we are getting a wooden coaster because I'll be able to take some of my friends too scared to go on the gigantic coasters on this ride! I'm kind of glad we didn't get a giga because their will be a new roller coaster type in 3 or so years that everyone here is going to want. Besides, who outside of the enthusiast community is going to think, "Oh, darn. We should've gotten a giga"... But you know if you wanted a giga, you go be you and enjoy it.

• Like 7

To everyone who is disappointed, at least we are GETTING a coaster!

Michigans Adventure hasnt gotten a brand spanking new coaster since the last Millenium, 1999! 

Kings Dominon has gone 6 years without a new rollercoaster.

Valleyfair has gone 9 years without a new coaster.

The list goes on.

We should be thankful, not spiteful for this.

If you would have asked me two days ago if I was disappointed, I would be. However, after riding Holiday Worlds wooden rollercoasters, especially The Legend which was retracked by GCI, I am positively ecstatic!

I think most of us are thankful, but squashed expectations changes tone.

I'm not disappointed because it doesn't appear to be a giga, but that from the basic view we've seen it doesn't look exciting to me. I hope I'm wrong, really. I hope my lack of understanding of plans of this sort makes me very surprised once we see more of the actual ride.

• Like 4

Seeing how no one has posted the layout (or even linked to it) in this thread, shall I assume that posting a picture with my thoughts on the layout and its location would also be frowned upon? If it isn't, I'll post a picture I whipped up to go with this description.

Assuming that in Zone 1A is a station in the top and a brakerun in the bottom, we can tell that the coaster will run clockwise through Z1A. Z1B-C appear to host the lift and a large swooping drop. I began a rough NL2 concept of the ride, and based on how steep the lift was I'd say 80-100ft lift. I'm not sure how RMC does layouts, but looking at the simple out-and-backness of the layout, the estimated height, and the swooping drop, I'd bet for a GCI. While not being able to comment on what the rest of the layout has, I can locate it. If you place the drop where the fence is, everything falls intp place. I believe that the layout as we see it would run roughly parallel to the major path running through Rivertown. Z2 runs along the resevoir, immediately going over/under the train bridge and crossing over/under DB. Z3 goes back into the woods for the turnaround, then retraces its steps until it arrives back at the brakerun. This doesn't account for the clearing by the train station, which I would imagine is where the queue for the new ride would go, after starting from the new path for WWC.

If any of what I said comes true, I'll be one happy camper.

• Like 6

Around how much do GCI's cost? Don did mention 2017 as well. Not suggesting two coasters in a row (although that has happened in other parks past) but we could be getting two relatively large additions in a row. How much would a flat ride package likely cost compared to a small - medium woodie? Without scale we can't say how big this is but we could try fitting it in on Google Maps. Assuming it is going in by the train.

• Like 3

If I went to the records office, i'd take more than one photo. Perhaps one of the entire page? Would be nice to have a bit of perspective or perhaps just see if there's anything else of relevance on the page..c'mon, KIE.

To quote from a comment by the page.

The park has not given Mason official layout plans. Only zoned sections for one part of the print. Which that is all I took because the rest is not relevant information. Or was just information for the area shaded. Which I couldn't understand.

Sounds as if what ever is in the drawing cloud is more than likely not relevant at all, but even the guy/girl running KIE can be wrong just like everyone else.

Personally... it looks like there is something interesting going on, almost looking like a merge track from Nolimits 2 (Example in the picture below)

f1Y2De7l.png

Picture from Dusso Janladde on CoasterCrazy (Kingda Ka recreation)

• Like 4

Around how much do GCI's cost? Don did mention 2017 as well. Not suggesting two coasters in a row (although that has happened in other parks past) but we could be getting two relatively large additions in a row. How much would a flat ride package likely cost compared to a small - medium woodie? Without scale we can't say how big this is but we could try fitting it in on Google Maps. Assuming it is going in by the train.

Prowler was $8M.

• Like 2

Hmm...Interesting to say the least. Could my dream of a new modern wooden GCI or RMC running rampant along the wooded backside of Rivertown actually come true?

I'd take an 80' terrain hugging new wooden coaster in a second. There's alot of excellent wooden coasters out there around that height. Even as short a ride as it is, I imagine most of us would love to have The Raven in our home park. (Although is fits the park it's in now just perfect). So anything like that is a major plus in my view. If that blueprint is correct, which is up for major speculation, there's alot of wooded, steep hills over there that could make it very, very fun!

• Like 7

If this is true and we are looking at a smallish GCI, I still think it will be an anchor ride to an expanded Rivertown. I think the new (and good looking) WWC queue will partially be a new midway path with this coaster. TR:TR and the Planet Snoopy (Nickelodeon back then) expansion really stripped Rivertown down to basically The Beast. I, for one, would love to see Rivertown return (maybe even reincorporate/re-theme RFYLCB), and if this new coaster is anything like Prowler or Renegade, it looks like a great addition to a "new Rivertown".

#BringBackRivertown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 10

I feel like, I might have bad news if this is our official layout....

I attempted to put the layout in Rivertown (With a blueprint I had of the entire park (Well mostly a reference area when it was Banshee Blueprints, but still...) The only way I was able to make it properly fit, was with Flume gone.

• Like 3

The KI Expo website is blocked on my work computer, which is REALLY strange. Very, very few things are blocked on my work computer. I was able to see the pic on facebook, but still... A little fishy.

I can't believe anything 100 percent until the park announces. I do wish there were more teasers though.

• Like 7

I attempted to put the layout in Rivertown (With a blueprint I had of the entire park (Well mostly a reference area when it was Banshee Blueprints, but still...) The only way I was able to make it properly fit, was with Flume gone.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 11

I'm sure we'll get a giga eventually.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapat

we may get one sooner than people think. If this wooden coaster is what we're getting, the cost may be relatively low. That means we could get a giga by 2020 at the latest.

• Like 4

A friend of mine made a similar image and the presumed coaster fit fine without the flume removed.

• Like 1

Right. The reason Six Flags adds so much coasters is because they choose to build cheaper ones.

Usually, KI doesn't go the cheaper coaster/ higher quantity route, but in this instance, I think they may be going that way. It explains why they may be building one only 3 years since Banshee. However, I do think If this coaster is on the smaller scale side, it will be unique and special compared to it's peers. KI has more tricks up its sleeve on this one than that dubious coaster layout shows.

• Like 4

Your pic is gone for me but I saved it and messed around a little myself. I think (compared to The Beast) your scale for this coaster is too large. I reduced it based on The Beast and was able to fit it within the train tracks with the two tracks running next to each other going over the reservoir, this puts zone 2 almost perfectly over the reservoir. Of course I'm not sure it this would interact with the terrain and WWC properly but it would turn around right by Diamondback (over WWC) this way.

• Like 1