Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

No matter what the park gets someone will be disappointed.  It is impossible to make everyone happy.  Personally I am not disappointed in the slightest.  I still hope this is an RMC and not GCI but that is because RMC has been making some amazing rides and I have a few ideas that they could do which would be just incredible.  Once I see detailed blueprints it should be obvious who is building the attraction.  I am positive it will be good either way and I can already say that I will have an annual pass again next year and will be lining up to ride it.  But I am an enthusiast and happy to admit it.  The park already has a great selection of attractions, I do wish several of them were smoother, but it could just be me getting older.  I would be getting an annual pass next year even without a new coaster.

For me the biggest questions are.  Do I get another drink cup next year because I am just getting sick of carting it around the park.  If the park had some locker plan which I could add to my annual pass that would make a difference.  Should I get the dining plan again?  The service at Kings Island has just been horrible, but the rest of the chain appears to be fine.

• Like 1

If this really is a wooden coaster which it looks like it is, I for one am not disappointed or upset even though I don't ride wooden coasters (mainly because I can't ride them due to back problems) .... To me that just means that there is a possibility of smaller lines on the coasters that I do ride :) whatever addition ki adds I'm always happy because think about it.... We are actually lucky to get something new almost every year....even though I won't ride it I will still enjoy that it is at the park because I like to people watch as well... I do agree I feel like ki needs a newer up to date wooden coaster and I feel like this will make many wooden coaster enthusiasts happy.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Folks I have a copy of the drawings from the city of Mason. If you don't know how to read technical drawings; don't go there and request a copy. It will be a wasted $15 for you. I will review the plans later after I finish with my other work later. From what I can see it is a rise of some sort. Lol

And no I will not take pictures of it and share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

There seems to be a lot of love for GCI which usually means that they have good coasters, just curious why the more recent Apocalypse was so bad?

I have to believe the hot, humidless climate kills wooden roller coasters.  Ghostrider was rebuilt this year, Apocalypse is very rough, Psyclone before it was horrible and Colosus was RMCed.  Goldrusher is great, but brand new.  Grizzly, not so much.    Seems like a California problem.

All that being said, while I wanted a Giga i'm not the least bit disappointed.  A new coaster is a new coaster!  Enjoy!

• Like 2

There seems to be a lot of love for GCI which usually means that they have good coasters, just curious why the more recent Apocalypse was so bad?

I have to believe the hot, humidless climate kills wooden roller coasters.  Ghostrider was rebuilt this year, Apocalypse is very rough, Psyclone before it was horrible and Colosus was RMCed.  Goldrusher is great, but brand new.  Grizzly, not so much.    Seems like a California problem.

All that being said, while I wanted a Giga i'm not the least bit disappointed.  A new coaster is a new coaster!  Enjoy!

Mean Streak has a sprinkler system installed which they use on hot dry days and at night.  Although with the water shortage in California I doubt this is an option.

• Like 3

I hate to be a party pooper but I think the "leaked" blueprints are faked. While I do still want a GCI, I just don't believe that those leaks are the real thing. IMO it's just too early for this sort of thing to be leaked. Banshee's were leaked mere days prior to the announcement. So those of you who were disappointed shouldn't be too sad because anything could happen. If Kings Island does what they did with Banshee and announce sometime in early August, that means we still have two months of supposed leaks and even more teasers regarding whatever Project 2017 is. 

• Like 1

Why though would the blueprints be fake if you can find them at the City of Mason....?

Seems like some who are disappointed are going through the disappointment grieving process...

Five Stages of Grief

Denial

Anger

Bargaining

Depression

Acceptance

I am personally very excited about this, this situation is the best of both worlds! We know what the general layout and sort of know what the ride  is but we dont know many key things yet, where it is at, what rides may be removed, elements?, what it does. There is more decoding to come.

• Like 9

I hate to be a party pooper but I think the "leaked" blueprints are faked. While I do still want a GCI, I just don't believe that those leaks are the real thing. IMO it's just too early for this sort of thing to be leaked. Banshee's were leaked mere days prior to the announcement. So those of you who were disappointed shouldn't be too sad because anything could happen. If Kings Island does what they did with Banshee and announce sometime in early August, that means we still have two months of supposed leaks and even more teasers regarding whatever Project 2017 is.

720118e100dd6cbf30b433869ab2789f.jpg

Fake enough for you??

• Like 17

Banshee's blueprints were very detailed when they were leaked though. So this could have just been a rough sketch of the coaster. I imagine that if anyone had really checked thoroughly enough back at around this time of 2013, they could have found something like this for Banshee. I'm not saying that it's definitely real, but I would not necessarily say that it is fake quite yet. I personally hope that it is real though, KI's recent additions have been mainly focused to thrill seekers, and it would be nice to have something that everyone can enjoy.
  • Like 2

You don't submit "rough sketches" for official review.  Those things are usually at least 75% finished, if not 100% and surely show every important detail that they need to review.  Plan review is not a cheap process, in fact it can be very, very expensive.  They are not going to go thru the cost of submitting "fake plans" just to fool a handful of enthusiasts. 

• Like 10

Fake enough for you??

I agreed with Nick till this post. I had no reason to believe a random Facebook group that may just want likes or subscribers. Plus my science brain always tells me to not believe one source... Wel there ya go source two....

• Like 9

To anyone who is complaining about how it isn't twisty enough or something like that. Take a look at this little gem:

https://youtu.be/hzAuSIAlCfs

Something like this, through narrow paths in the woods would be a lot of fun.

My only problem with this is the length of the ride. Hopefully were getting something a bit longer than this.

• Like 2

If this does indeed turn out to be a GCI wooden coaster, I think that this works out for people who wanted this to be a wooden coaster AND for those wanting a B&M giga.

A GCI wooden coaster makes a lot of sense for Kings Island.  I mentioned this in an earlier post, but I think that there are three really good features that accompany a possible GCI installation:

1. Most GCI coasters have a 48" height requirement.  I've seen talk that the GCI going in at Busch Gardens Williamsburg might be a 46" height requirement, but I don't know if that's been confirmed.  Either way, Kings Island really needed another 48" minimum height requirement ride, as it's been a long time since KI has installed a 48" height requirement coaster
  2. It seems as though the tree cutting will be kept to a minimum if the layout is accurate.  A coaster kept entirely in the trees would be awesome for a whole host of reasons 
  3. GCI coasters typically run about $10 million these days.  A similar-sized from-the-ground-up RMC would cost at least $15 million because of the additional cost to manufacture the Topper/I-Box track.

The last point is what makes me hopeful that a B&M giga isn't too far away.  A GCI coaster IMO is a mid-sized install.  It's certainly a nice investment, but it's not so large that a future B&M installation would have to be pushed out longer-term.  Putting in the GCI first also allows the park to have additional capacity already in place, which will be really helpful when the B&M giga comes along. 

Cedar Fair isn't dumb.  They know that their B&M hyper/giga installations have been extremely successful.  Kings Island will eventually build a B&M giga; it's just a matter of when they'll do it and where they'll put it.

Thinking about the timing of a possible B&M giga - I think it's entirely possible that Cedar Fair made the decision to wait until the Western Row construction projects (and new I-71 ramps) were scheduled to be complete before moving forward with a monster addition like that.  Those road construction projects are - as of today - scheduled to be complete by mid-2019.  I think it's entirely possible that the earliest we'll see a B&M giga is 2020.  I don't know if that's really what's happening here, but it certainly makes sense.  Wait until the construction dust clears, add a nice new ride in the interim and then make preparations in the next few years.  A B&M giga at KI has the potential to be the best ride in the world, so if it means waiting a few years so that everything else around it is in place first then I'm completely cool with that.         

• Like 16

So has anyone put together that this ride isn't going to be geared towards adults possibly? A couple weeks ago, the KI Twitter account posted a video with the fence and a cat looking up. My first thought was "kitty" ride. Now these leaks seem "meh"....maybe it's going to end up being a coaster for kids.

• Like 2

^^^

I'm a believer that the park could use another "kid" coaster, something to bridge the gap (along w/ FAAC) b/w Woodstock express and the bigger coasters at the 48".  If this had a 46" height requirement, that would be awesome.  One of the biggest joys I've had the last few years is watching and riding along w/ my son on Woodstock express when around his 3rd birthday, taking him on FAAC around his 4th, then adding WWC & Congo falls the next summer, The Beast, Vortex, Racers, etc... after turning 6, Banshee the following summer, then Diamondback later last summer.  Its always been a joy to see him finally hit the next mark when getting measured.

Seemingly, our 4 year old daughter has a little bit of "chicken" in her when it comes to roller coasters.  She got on Woodstock express once w/ me last summer, and once earlier this year w/ my wife, but won't ride it again.  Hoping to break her of that so we can share the same experiences as she continues to grow.

a 46" coaster would give a family an additional reason to come back to the park.  If you don't like getting wet, there isn't much new to add b/w 40" and 48" for most kids.  The water rides as mentioned, plus FAAC; can't recall anything else.  a 46" ride would greatly benefit the park.

• Like 7

We knew that a dive coaster was coming to CP 8 months before it was announced.

Fake enough for you??

How did you get this?

• Like 2