Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

You need to be able to read the markers to get measurements for things such as scale, grade, etc.

But I can't make hide nor hair of these...

markers2.png

:P

Those aren't the markers you read :P

Kenban - I don't know but Prowler is just a little over 3,000. Using The Beast as a reference in a posted pic (since removed) here of a KI blueprint that would seem about right to me. I scaled it based on the track size (double without side supports on both the blueprint and The Beast) and it wouldn't go out past Diamondback's turnarounds in any configuration.

fryjo - There are two other possible orientations/scales I've seen in this thread that would work without taking out RFYLCH or even touching Diamondback. The one where it does take out RFYLCH went through Diamondback. I originally came up with something similar to the red one that was on Facebook before seeing it.

Edit: AintNutinElse2Do - I love it! but I kinda doubt it would be launched. If you can add the Train and terrain.

• Like 3

You need to be able to read the markers to get measurements for things such as scale, grade, etc.

But I can't make hide nor hair of these...

markers2.png

:P

I always look forward to your posts.  They frequently come with colorful pictures.

• Like 12

Honestly, if this coaster is launched, has high banks, and perhaps an inversion or two, it might end up being one of my top coasters.

Perhaps Beastgal was right in that this will be like the Cowboy Coaster, but will be wooden. I would be off the wall ecstatic if that was the case!

^Yes I know that the possibility of this is incredibly low, but hey, we can all hope for something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

Kenban - I don't know but Prowler is just a little over 3,000. Using The Beast as a reference in a posted pic (since removed) here of a KI blueprint that would seem about right to me. I scaled it based on the track size (double without side supports on both the blueprint and The Beast) and it wouldn't go out past Diamondback's turnarounds in any configuration.

fryjo - There are two other possible orientations/scales I've seen in this thread that would work without taking out RFYLCH or even touching Diamondback. The one where it does take out RFYLCH went through Diamondback. I originally came up with something similar to the red one that was on Facebook before seeing it.

Edit: AintNutinElse2Do - I love it! but I kinda doubt it would be launched. If you can add the Train and terrain.

You can't use the track width for scale. Use the track length. Lay it over a google or bing map with a scale on it. Measure the track length and compare it to the scale. 

The red one on Facebook is less than 2000 ft long and somehow does its turn around over top of WWC's turnaround. That is impractical. That whole path is impractical as there is no room between Diamondback and WWC there. Going over WWC there would require the scale increased so that it wouldn't fit by the train station. Going over Diamondback will almost certainly not happen. Going under Diamondback in that location is impossible at DB is either on the ground there or has a bunch of footers. I've not seen an "aha" location and scale yet. Even the one that I think fits best has its problems. But the coincidence of the shape around the station area is too much for me to ignore. 

• Like 2

You can't use the track width for scale. Use the track length. Lay it over a google or bing map with a scale on it. Measure the track length and compare it to the scale. 

The red one on Facebook is less than 2000 ft long and somehow does its turn around over top of WWC's turnaround. That is impractical. That whole path is impractical as there is no room between Diamondback and WWC there. Going over WWC there would require the scale increased so that it wouldn't fit by the train station. Going over Diamondback will almost certainly not happen. Going under Diamondback in that location is impossible at DB is either on the ground there or has a bunch of footers. I've not seen an "aha" location and scale yet. Even the one that I think fits best has its problems. But the coincidence of the shape around the station area is too much for me to ignore. 

I agree that one is too small, mine was longer. I would have to fiddle with it again but I remember it fitting pretty well. Scale can be done by any comparable dimension. Since we don't know the coasters length or width either is fair game. I figured the width of most wood coasters (considering GCI can have PTC trains and are designed for two by seating) would be similar. My own interpretation had zone 2 almost perfectly over the reservoir with the turnaround right next to Diamondbacks. I stated I found two that did not go through Diamondback as I agree that doesn't make sense to me. I'm not using Google/Bing maps but a park map (not the tourist kind) with a top down view. 

• Like 2

I agree that one is too small, mine was longer. I would have to fiddle with it again but I remember it fitting pretty well. Scale can be done by any comparable dimension. Since we don't know the coasters length or width either is fair game. I figured the width of most wood coasters (considering GCI can have PTC trains and are designed for two by seating) would be similar. My own interpretation had zone 2 almost perfectly over the reservoir with the turnaround right next to Diamondbacks. I stated I found two that did not go through Diamondback as I agree that doesn't make sense to me. I'm not using Google/Bing maps but a park map (not the tourist kind) with a top down view.

If the park map has a scale on it, you can use that. Assuming its either a true photo or architectural map. If its a rendition, who knows how they might have changed it. But thats the scale you have to use. You can't say that "most coasters are this wide" If one is 60 inches wide, and the other is 80 inches wide, thats a 25% margin of error. When you are talking coaster length, that could be 1000 feet off. Lay out the coaster on your map. Use the maps scale and measure the track length. That'll tell you what you need to know. You could use it for width as well, but I don't know if that matters. 

By golly, I know I'm the only one obsessed by this (Right?? heehee), but I feel after 24 hrs of hacking at my Photoshop...I feel that I have finally got it right.  This has got to be close to the FINAL LAYOUT.  IMO.  I don't think it's gonna be a woodie, but something that can fly over the WWC reservoir.  I don't know technical jargon, but I truly feel this will only cross the tracks near the Train entrance.  I don't think it will cross anywhere else so this is going to be a smaller, short riding coaster, maybe Adventure Express style.  I feel the point where the coaster will turnaround and return back to the station will happen somewhere near where they shoot the water cannons at WWC.   Again, this is an Artist rendition and this photo is for entertainment purposes.  Look at your own risk.   :D  

26976165054_62a22877a8_z.jpgKI Project 2017 FINAL by KingsIsland1972, on Flickr

I think you are close to the directional layout now. What I would do if it had the editing capabilities would be as follows.

1. Bring the entire coaster inside the railroad tracks.

2. Elongate the image to where the turnaround circles around the first rapid turn on WWC.

This would avoid WWC and the center of the coaster would then cross right where the flags are at the WWC immediate exit from the ride.

Short and sweet coaster... My two cents.

• Like 5

By golly, I know I'm the only one obsessed by this (Right?? heehee), but I feel after 24 hrs of hacking at my Photoshop...I feel that I have finally got it right. This has got to be close to the FINAL LAYOUT. IMO. I don't think it's gonna be a woodie, but something that can fly over the WWC reservoir. I don't know technical jargon, but I truly feel this will only cross the tracks near the Train entrance. I don't think it will cross anywhere else so this is going to be a smaller, short riding coaster, maybe Adventure Express style. I feel the point where the coaster will turnaround and return back to the station will happen somewhere near where they shoot the water cannons at WWC. Again, this is an Artist rendition and this photo is for entertainment purposes. Look at your own risk. :D

LOL, you have the train going right through the coaster's station. Might cause it to derail. Lol

• Like 5

I think you are close to the directional layout now. What I would do if it had the editing capabilities would be as follows.

2. Elongate the image to where the turnaround circles around the first rapid turn on WWC.

This would avoid WWC and the center of the coaster would then cross right where the flags are at the WWC immediate exit from the ride.

Thats just it though. We can't edit the layout. The layout is what it is. We can rotate and scale only.

• Like 3

If the park map has a scale on it, you can use that. Assuming its either a true photo or architectural map. If its a rendition, who knows how they might have changed it. But thats the scale you have to use. You can't say that "most coasters are this wide" If one is 60 inches wide, and the other is 80 inches wide, thats a 25% margin of error. When you are talking coaster length, that could be 1000 feet off. Lay out the coaster on your map. Use the maps scale and measure the track length. That'll tell you what you need to know. You could use it for width as well, but I don't know if that matters. 

That argument applies to length as well. You can't just say "this coaster is this long", you can guess how long you think it will be and base it on that if you wish. However coaster length changes far more than width. Second I doubt the difference between coaster width would be so extreme. The point is that no one knows therefor you can not eliminate possibilities based on size alone. The map was just a section edited with a layover of the new blueprint and no scale was available. It was similar in fashion to the new blueprint and everything looked to be to a scale.

• Like 1

By golly, I know I'm the only one obsessed by this (Right?? heehee), but I feel after 24 hrs of hacking at my Photoshop...I feel that I have finally got it right. This has got to be close to the FINAL LAYOUT. IMO. I don't think it's gonna be a woodie, but something that can fly over the WWC reservoir. I don't know technical jargon, but I truly feel this will only cross the tracks near the Train entrance. I don't think it will cross anywhere else so this is going to be a smaller, short riding coaster, maybe Adventure Express style. I feel the point where the coaster will turnaround and return back to the station will happen somewhere near where they shoot the water cannons at WWC. Again, this is an Artist rendition and this photo is for entertainment purposes. Look at your own risk. :D

LOL, you have the train going right through the coaster's station. Might cause it to derail. Lol

I'm assuming that particular section is a bridge for the train to go under.  I will play with it more, but I have my 21 month old to attend to for the evening.  I won't be back on to photoshop until he goes to sleep.  This is fun, I appreciate all the suggestions.  I'll be reading from my phone for the next five hours.  OH...I can't wait to play with this again.  haha.

• Like 3

I'm assuming that particular section is a bridge for the train to go under.  I will play with it more, but I have my 21 month old to attend to for the evening.  I won't be back on to photoshop until he goes to sleep.  This is fun, I appreciate all the suggestions.  I'll be reading from my phone for the next five hours.  OH...I can't wait to play with this again.  haha.

There is a gift shop under Banshee's station, I'm sure this station/bridge whatever could be high enough for the train to go under. It could also be a brake shed that declines. I would say that the first two bends going over the tracks is more likely to be an issue. 

Thats just it though. We can't edit the layout. The layout is what it is. We can rotate and scale only.

you're only thinking on the X and Y axis,

you forgot Z

• Like 1

That argument applies to length as well. You can't just say "this coaster is this long", you can guess how long you think it will be and base it on that if you wish. However coaster length changes far more than width. Second I doubt the difference between coaster width would be so extreme. The point is that no one knows therefor you can not eliminate possibilities based on size alone. The map was just a section edited with a layover of the new blueprint and no scale was available. It was similar in fashion to the new blueprint and everything looked to be to a scale.

No but you can lay it out and compare it to known objects(i.e. the scale) and then say that if this is the layout and location the coaster is this long.

You said that the coaster was too large on that orientation and sizing. Are you suggesting that google and bing's scale is badly off? I'd trust them a whole lot more than a section map with no scale. 

• Like 1

you're only thinking on the X and Y axis,

you forgot Z

Yeah, it can go over or under objects. Certain elements going over or under certain objects is less likely though. 

Did you discern anything from the plans that gives us a location?

Haven't posted in a long time, but had a question and was curious if someone could enlighten me. Recently I was lucky enough to take a trip to SFMM thanks to my sister living out there now. While there, we rode the GCI roller coaster formerly known as Terminator: Salvation The Ride, now dubbed Apocalypse: The Ride. My sister pleaded with me not to go on it, but I love wooden roller coasters, so she was going to have to deal with it. Now I know that not all coasters are the same and that not all companies are perfect, but this particular GCI was absolutely awful. I couldn't wait to get off and I'm not someone who doesn't love the whole getting beat up and out of control on a wooden coaster, well maybe not SOB beat up ;)

Did I catch this coaster on a bad day? Does it have a bad reputation to others? I know I've ridden GCI's before, at Hersheypark, but I really don't remember if I enjoyed them or not.

On a side note, I really really really want an RMC Hybrid coaster. Twisted Colossus was the biggest surprise I maybe have ever had on a roller coaster and it was by far my favorite ride in the park. It was the only one we rode 3 times all day, and that was by choice. (Although I didn't get a chance to ride X2 because (shocker) it was down for the day)

There seems to be a lot of love for GCI which usually means that they have good coasters, just curious why the more recent Apocalypse was so bad?

I think it is just Six Flags' fault because I rode it in 2012 and it was so smooth. It was my favorite ride of the day.
  • Like 1