Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

I think an RMC makes the most sense. Kentucky Kingdom just got one, therefore that helps KI compete against them. Also, the rumor is Cedar Point's Mean Streak is getting an RMC makeover, which means FUN could have made a package deal with RMC to save money. And most important, an RMC would give KI a unique coaster with a hybrid that they are lacking....with the exception of Adventure Express, of course, but this obviously would be totally different. 

• Like 3

Did anyone ever figure out what's going on under the railway bridge, and how it relates to this project and now the layout that has been released?

I was there on Sunday, so I went back to look at the new WWC path and I did get a good look at the bridge. I saw couple of trees cut down with very little clearing. The only thing I deduced was that the structure holding up the tracks appeared to be metal painted to look like wood. It was a pretty long ways from the bottom of the ravine up to the tracks as well. I'd say at least 60 ft. Def. plenty of room for a coaster to go under it.

• Like 2

Did anyone ever figure out what's going on under the railway bridge, and how it relates to this project and now the layout that has been released?

I was there on Sunday, so I went back to look at the new WWC path and I did get a good look at the bridge. I saw couple of trees cut down with very little clearing. the only thing I deduced was that the structure holding up the tracks appeared to be metal painted to look like wood. It was a pretty long ways to the bottom of the ravine up to the tracks as well. I'd say at least 60 ft. Def. plenty of room for a coaster to go under it.

Wouldn't that almost certainly mean the coaster will intersect or cross paths with Diamondback based on the layout that we've all seen?  Which would be very cool...just not how they usually do things.

• Like 1

I was there on Sunday, so I went back to look at the new WWC path and I did get a good look at the bridge. I saw couple of trees cut down with very little clearing. the only thing I deduced was that the structure holding up the tracks appeared to be metal painted to look like wood. It was a pretty long ways to the bottom of the ravine up to the tracks as well. I'd say at least 60 ft. Def. plenty of room for a coaster to go under it.

Wouldn't that almost certainly mean the coaster will intersect or cross paths with Diamondback based on the layout that we've all seen?  Which would be very cool...just not how they usually do things.

If it does go under the bridge, I would think it would cross paths with DB. I also think it would look good considering it is probably going to be a wooden coaster. The contrast of steel and wood could really work well, i think.

• Like 1

I have thought that as well @silver2005... maybe KI will get the RMC to compete with KK and Mean Streak will get a GCI retracking/reprofiling that it desperately needs lol, but a July closing of Mean Streak means something big is coming if you can completely "RMC" a older Dinn&Summers coaster of similar size in similar time, not counting NTG, but if GCI is reprofiling Mean Streak for 2017 and KI is getting and RMC that could work out from a business standpoint since the GP doesn't really know what a "reprofiling" means and will still see the same crappy ride, so if we get the 1st CF RMC before CP they already have plans for Mean Streak for the future and KI is again the testing ground for a future endeavor, i.e. Fast Lane, but I hope that if this means if the KI coaster goes off without a hitch we will get the tallest, fastest, longest RMC in the world at CP with a Mean Streak reboot!!!

• Like 1

Rob Decker and other CF execs were seen leaving a meeting with RMC at IAAPA. Also while on the topic of tunnels, what I would love to see is a drop under the bridge that would come out to behind the Crypt building into a overbanked turn around a la Hades 360.....extremely unlikely but I think it would be cool.

• Like 7

@Logan Goddard The initial layout I seen posted photoshopped over Google Maps showed a layout where our 2017 goes under the train tracks, the suspected plans are almost what I see here but they are to the right of the reservoir, the 1st drop is under the bridge and the turn around is near the clearing near DB's hammerhead...

• Like 1

I was more talking about how it would be completely underground until it rises on the other side of DB, like Hades does out to an island in the parking lot. If that is how the coaster is oriented then I could very much so see it diving under the tracks.

Wow...now that is a really, really cool thought.  

• Like 2

You know guys, Mean Streak could also be getting a GCI makeover much like GhostRider just received.

But would that make it any better? I don't know if a simple reprofiling would improve on the boring layout. But I'd love to be wrong...

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Lets look at Rob Decker's last 5 years. Valravn, looks amazing still a dive coaster but it looks amazing, Fury 325 is amazing and looks amazing, Banshee looks and is amazing, Gatekeeper looks amazing and is amazing, Leviathan looks great but it was b&ms first giga so Ill give them slack. Still better than Millennium Force. I trust Cedar Fair.

• Like 6

Rob Decker and other CF execs were seen leaving a meeting with RMC at IAAPA. Also while on the topic of tunnels, what I would love to see is a drop under the bridge that would come out to behind the Crypt building into a overbanked turn around a la Hades 360.....extremely unlikely but I think it would be cool.

I'm absolutely expecting it to be RMC.  At this point I'd be shocked if it's not.

• Like 3

I'm starting to think it may be from Rocky Mountain judging by a glimpse at the blueprints. In some areas of the ride sketch, you can see what looks to be wooden support beams that are angled to hold the structure up. The area I didn't notice any were on the short piece of straight track before what we assume is the first drop. Usually a lift hill would have the angled structural wood beams, like The Beast and The Racer, but we don't see that. This could possibly be a launch like on Lightning Rod.

If what you said is true, then there might be a lead in the possibility of Rocky Mountain Construction being part of Project 2017. There isn't any way of knowing now, as the sketch is rough and approximate and not exact.

• Like 1

A RMC imo would probably be the best for this spot. A nice fast, fun, and thrilling wooden coaster. Where all you can see over the treetops is the lift hill and a few inversions. When I saw those blueprints I immediately thought RMC and it reminded me of Storm Chaser. Kings Island has a great spot here with amazing potential. I know whatever it is, it'll be spectacular. If it isn't a RMC, but a GCI I admit ill be disappointed, but will still be there opening day and plan on riding it every time I visit.

This got me thinking also, do you remember the tweet that KI posted a while ago, with a pic of the land saying "People will definitely come". This made me think RMC even more, because I feel like a GCI won't be as appealing to the GP as a RMC will be. Keep in mind, us enthusiasts love the fun airtime, smooth GCIs. But the GP likes the fastest, highest, most thrilling, most loops etc. And that comes with a RMC. Especially with none being around here except for KK. KI could easily top KK's RMC, and bring back a lot of guests, and enthusiasts. We have the money, terrain, and company for it. Team RMC all the way!

• Like 3

I'm sorry to crush all of your dreams but those blueprints look like a GCI, not an RMC. It looks like a less-twisty Prowler at Worlds of Fun, which is a GCI. I would absolutely love an RMC in that spot, but the blueprints don't lie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

You know guys, Mean Streak could also be getting a GCI makeover much like GhostRider just received.

But would that make it any better? I don't know if a simple reprofiling would improve on the boring layout. But I'd love to be wrong...

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

GhostRider also received Millennium Flyers which track way better than PTC's.  

I just brought it up as a possibility with so many people seemingly sold on an RMC conversion.  

• Like 2

I'm sorry to crush all of your dreams but those blueprints look like a GCI, not an RMC. It looks like a less-twisty Prowler at Worlds of Fun, which is a GCI. I would absolutely love an RMC in that spot, but the blueprints don't lie.

Why would you love an RMC in that spot?  Versus a GCI?

• Like 1

I'd love either one, but RMC rides seem more intense with stronger airtime and forces. I'm going to enjoy whatever we get, but I'd rather prefer an RMC. Outlaw Run, Wildfire, and Lightning Rod all seem out of this world, top ten rides while the GCIs look ok to amazing, but not in the league of RMC. (I haven't ridden either manufacturer so my opinion shouldn't be as valid as others). Can't wait to ride our new GCI next year!

• Like 3

I'd love either one, but RMC rides seem more intense with stronger airtime and forces. I'm going to enjoy whatever we get, but I'd rather prefer an RMC. Outlaw Run, Wildfire, and Lightning Rod all seem out of this world, top ten rides while the GCIs look ok to amazing, but not in the league of RMC. (I haven't ridden either manufacturer so my opinion shouldn't be as valid as others). Can't wait to ride our new GCI next year!

Yeah.  There's some posts on this thread that really have me leaning RMC.  And beyond that the buildup Kings Island themselves have built up...I'm expecting a pretty fantastic RMC.  We'll see.  But given all the buildup I'm anticipating something pretty...uh....big.  In one fashion or another.

• Like 1

I just do not think a GCI will attract as big of a crowd as everyone is thinking. Sure maybe a little crowd of enthusiasts but this small GCI won't be enough to bring back guests lost to KK, and HW. The GP will think of the ride as "lame" unless there's some kind of kick to it that we do not know of yet. We all know the ride will not be lame, but a lot of the money made is brought in through the GP, and a small tame wooden coaster won't cut it, at least for the GP.

That's just what I think though. We are all entitled to our own opinions.

• Like 2