Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

This topic, man I've gotten some laughs at this topic, but back on to the subject. When Ghostrider was redone was there markers on the footers of the ride when it was being redone? another note please can we remember Gravity group just because they don't do a ton of ride doesn't mean that they won't come in and do this project, I mean come on they what, 15 min. away? Lets be honest though, Dinosaurs Alive was a huge mistake for Cedar Fair in general, in fact the ones at CP are almost overgrown and lost in the foliage around them, I don't know about the ones at KI but they can't be much better. My official guess is KI gets a GG woodie for 2017 and CP gets the first swing at RMC (yes I'm saying RMC will get a project of this size done for 2017 for a few reasons, 1: they are quite masterful at doing their work and getting it done on time 2: RMC seems to like the larger wooden rides to convert, just look at NTG, TC, and MedusaSC they are massive rides! yeah I get it I was all over in this post but I had to put my 2 cents into it again.)

• Like 2

Is anyone even thinking about how this new coaster could start its run around The Vortex Que house and make it way towards White Water Canyon? I would say the service life of The Vortex is up, and probably slated for removal that would free up quite a bit of space now wouldn't it?

Arrows don't have a service life. Besides its the best coaster in the park.

Serviceable life is that point where the ride's popularity drops below its maintenance costs - if such a graph were to exist. That line is different for every park, but it exists. It's all about the ride's perceived value in relation to its cost to maintain and its popularity. Every Ride has a service life trust me!

• Like 3

The only sort of experiment I can think of that CF has done with KI was Dinosaurs Alive... We all know how that turned out. In my opinion Dinosaurs Alive is one of CF's biggest mistake.

Biggest mistake?  Somehow I doubt that.  It may not be great, but it was pretty cool to look at once.  If they were able to recoop their money in the first season when the attraction was an upcharge for everyone, as well as thru merch sales (which I'm sure bring in a decent chunk even today) then its hardly a mistake.  It may not have been their best effort, but as long as it was somewhat profitable, its not going to sting much where it counts.  I'm sure CF has had much, much bigger mistakes in their long history.

• Like 2

Not to mention for a couple years after opening there were still continuing to install them in other parks too. If they saw it as a big mistake I doubt they would have continued to build them. Some might not care for the attraction, I found it a bit underwhelming myself when I first went through, but that doesn't mean it was a disaster either.

So I decided to have some fun in NL2, and I made this coaster based on the leaked layout. Please note it's best not to take this too seriously. It's just a concept that I threw together to visualize the potential coaster that could come with the layout. I went for a realistic GCI approach, and it comes out to something akin to Prowler or White Lightning. Quick, tight, ground-hugging, and twisty. Personally I'd be pretty excited if a coaster like this would be coming to KI next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JHsr-l9aKU

• Like 27

So I decided to have some fun in NL2, and I made this coaster based on the leaked layout. Please note it's best not to take this too seriously. It's just a concept that I threw together to visualize the potential coaster that could come with the layout. I went for a realistic GCI approach, and it comes out to something akin to Prowler or White Lightning. Quick, tight, ground-hugging, and twisty. Personally I'd be pretty excited if a coaster like this would be coming to KI next year.

Very nice!

• Like 4

Looking at the plans, it looks like there's maybe two station houses in Zone 1A (I don't know exactly what I'm looking at).

Would it be possible that one is load and another is unload (like Flight of Fear). Would that increase capacity at all? It seems like it might, but I really don't know. People COULD load a train faster if they didn't have to wait for someone to get out, I just don't know if the extra stop to unload actually increases capacity. 

• Like 1

^Great Ride!

Do GCI's have good capacity? I've heard it wasn't terrible but at a park like KI, would it be a good people mover like the B&Ms or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GCI aren't that bad on capacity around anywhere from 850 to 1,750 an hour 24 ppl a train so not a B&M but not bad overall

• Like 2

Looking at the plans, it looks like there's maybe two station houses in Zone 1A (I don't know exactly what I'm looking at).

Would it be possible that one is load and another is unload (like Flight of Fear). Would that increase capacity at all? It seems like it might, but I really don't know. People COULD load a train faster if they didn't have to wait for someone to get out, I just don't know if the extra stop to unload actually increases capacity. 

Typically on a GCI the first building is part of the brake run and is the train storage and maintenance.  It is one of the signature items on a GCI coaster and just stands out on the layout as something you would see on a GCI.

• Like 4

I am firmly on team woodie, but IF this was a launch coaster then I would be rather dissapointed with the lay out. The amount of turns and inversions really are what make a good launch coasters like Maverick and Helix exciting, which this layout doesn't look to have. 

As for the manufacturer of this ride, I would be happy with any of the big 3 wooden manufacturers. They all offer a different ride style, all of which would offer something that Kings Island doesn't have yet. My money as of now is on GCI, but I can see the argument for other manufacturers.

• Like 1

This actually seems very accurate to the print. I would be happy with something like this but I still think the print looks like a pretty short coaster.

• Like 2

I don't know. I feel like the ride has to be pretty large whatever they build because of the amount of hype they have created for this coaster.

That's what I mean. The print makes it look to small for the amount of hype they have done for this ride.

• Like 1