Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

I'm kind of surprised we still have yet to see any footers at all. Ok maybe I'm wrong here but wouldn't a wood coaster take longer to build than a steel coaster of similar size? The longer they take to actually start building the more I'm starting to believe this is going to be a pretty small and short coaster.

And that is why I'm suspicious of this construction. There is just something odd and mysterious about it all. I'm not convinced about anything so far.

• Like 10

I'm kind of surprised we still have yet to see any footers at all. Ok maybe I'm wrong here but wouldn't a wood coaster take longer to build than a steel coaster of similar size? The longer they take to actually start building the more I'm starting to believe this is going to be a pretty small and short coaster.

And that is why I'm suspicious of this construction. There is just something odd and mysterious about it all. I'm not convinced about anything so far.

Can't they practically build it in the factory?  All the cuts, all the pilot holes.  Put some footers in, let them dry, then bolt the thing up?

• Like 5

Can't they practically build it in the factory?  All the cuts, all the pilot holes.  Put some footers in, let them dry, then bolt the thing up?

So your saying its a intamin plug and play?

Anyone have any luck converting the coordinates.  I have no doubt they are real.  But the closest I can get sticks them on the wrong side of the highway.  So I am making some wrong assumptions or just totally off base.  It might also help if I had more of the plans then just a screenshot from a youtube video.  

I know Oldschool figured it out just wondering what I am doing wrong at this point.

• Like 6

I'm honestly really glad we are getting a wooden coaster! I feel like an intense wooden coaster is one type of ride missing from our already excellent lineup from rides. Now all we need is to get a few flat rides into our park and we'll be an almost perfect park in my opinion! Also, I am almost certain those blueprints are legit, but I have no inside sources and just my conscience.

• Like 3

Anyone have any luck converting the coordinates.  I have no doubt they are real.  But the closest I can get sticks them on the wrong side of the highway.  So I am making some wrong assumptions or just totally off base.  It might also help if I had more of the plans then just a screenshot from a youtube video.  

I know Oldschool figured it out just wondering what I am doing wrong at this point.

Yep. I have them all plotted out.  Research UTM coordinates 

• Like 1

Except by definition UTM is in meters.  

I was trying to use State Plane coordinates.  Either way they are just X, Y coordinates from some origin.  Which I could be making the wrong assumptions about the origin.  For a while I was assuming they were just truncated values since North 492914 usft is a line which would go through the WWC turntable somewhere around the center.  But that only works for North, not east.

Ok...if you look at my last post, you can see NORTH on the plans in the screenshot.  So, I dropped this in within the RR Tracks.  Where I scaled this as accurately as I could, if you look at the lines of the plans around the track, I was trying my best to line them up with the surrounding objects.  At the turnaround, the outlines lined up perfectly with the train house.  One part could line up with the RR Tracks next to DB the other the train station.  I scaled it, and it's about 800-900 feet out.  I feel it's only going to be a 2500 to 3000ish feet of track. (Imagine Racers at 3,415')  I could be wrong on EVERYTHING, but...this is my final thought and I feel I'm much closer to figuring out where they will drop it in.  Thursday evening, my son goes with his mom for the week.  I will spend the evening at Kings Island on the train and WWC combing out my thoughts on this and then enjoy some DB after-hours in the park.  I hope to see you there.  Let me know what you think.  

27424471310_eff4f9df00_z.jpgKingProjectNORTHiFinal by KingsIsland1972, on Flickr

• Like 14

A RMC with inversions, speed, airtime, and height. IMO sounds more intriguing than a GCI. And I'm sure the GP thinks the same thing.

May I also add, Yes, I understand Cedar Point is the capital park of Cedar Fair, but its kind of annoying when they get everything. They got Gatekeeper, Rougarou, and Valravn. They can settle with a GCI retracking, and let Kings Island get some light, and let us have the first RMC coaster. Or even give both parks the RMC.

• Like 5

Rumour is that both might be RMC, this comes from seeing Rob Decker and other CF executives leaving a meeting with RMC at IAAPA. CP has really only gotten 2 new coasters considering Rougarou was just changing the trains. 

As for the GP I'm pretty sure most non enthusiasts aren't gonna know about the differences between the manufacturers.

• Like 5

Rumour is that both might be RMC, this comes from seeing Rob Decker and other CF executives leaving a meeting with RMC at IAAPA. CP has really only gotten 2 new coasters considering Rougarou was just changing the trains. 

As for the GP I'm pretty sure most non enthusiasts aren't gonna know about the differences between the manufacturers.

They will notice the difference in the ride experience.

• Like 2

Except by definition UTM is in meters.  

I was trying to use State Plane coordinates.  Either way they are just X, Y coordinates from some origin.  Which I could be making the wrong assumptions about the origin.  For a while I was assuming they were just truncated values since North 492914 usft is a line which would go through the WWC turntable somewhere around the center.  But that only works for North, not east.

Yeah, I'm at the same point you are. State plane keeps sending me to Illinois for some reason. I went as far as measuring over 4200 feet west and 2900 feet south to see if there was any kind of landmark in the area that could be the starting point, but it was just a random spot on I-71. Maybe there is more info on the plans that would tip us off as to the starting point or system, but as there is not a copy online...

• Like 2

It looks like I'll be going Monday to get some copies of the plans. Those of you that are actively working on figuring it out from the tiny info on that video (you're amazing!) are welcome to look at my physical copies if we can work out meeting up at KI one day when I go. I typically visit two weekdays a week, open until close. Which days changes, but I'm unlikely to go on Tuesdays because there is no Cirque. I'll probably just keep them in my truck, so those of you who already know me can just hit me up if you see me around after Monday.

I was originally satisfied with the knowledge the plans actually exist, but I've decided I need to look at them with my own eyes at this point. I have a degree in engineering, but never worked with drawings for anything this size before. I'm hoping I can figure something out. At the very least, it will be a unique souvenir from my favorite park.

• Like 19

Ok...if you look at my last post, you can see NORTH on the plans in the screenshot.  So, I dropped this in within the RR Tracks.  Where I scaled this as accurately as I could, if you look at the lines of the plans around the track, I was trying my best to line them up with the surrounding objects.  At the turnaround, the outlines lined up perfectly with the train house.  One part could line up with the RR Tracks next to DB the other the train station.  I scaled it, and it's about 800-900 feet out.  I feel it's only going to be a 2500 to 3000ish feet of track. (Imagine Racers at 3,415')  I could be wrong on EVERYTHING, but...this is my final thought and I feel I'm much closer to figuring out where they will drop it in.  Thursday evening, my son goes with his mom for the week.  I will spend the evening at Kings Island on the train and WWC combing out my thoughts on this and then enjoy some DB after-hours in the park.  I hope to see you there.  Let me know what you think.  

27424471310_eff4f9df00_z.jpgKingProjectNORTHiFinal by KingsIsland1972, on Flickr

That position and orientation makes more sense to me than any other possibility that's been posted. You get an A for detective work. :)

• Like 12

Ok...if you look at my last post, you can see NORTH on the plans in the screenshot. So, I dropped this in within the RR Tracks. Where I scaled this as accurately as I could, if you look at the lines of the plans around the track, I was trying my best to line them up with the surrounding objects. At the turnaround, the outlines lined up perfectly with the train house. One part could line up with the RR Tracks next to DB the other the train station. I scaled it, and it's about 800-900 feet out. I feel it's only going to be a 2500 to 3000ish feet of track. (Imagine Racers at 3,415') I could be wrong on EVERYTHING, but...this is my final thought and I feel I'm much closer to figuring out where they will drop it in. Thursday evening, my son goes with his mom for the week. I will spend the evening at Kings Island on the train and WWC combing out my thoughts on this and then enjoy some DB after-hours in the park. I hope to see you there. Let me know what you think.

Sorry you're way off. That north indicator does not refer to overview of the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

There is no way this is less than 3000ft of track. If so unless it's i kid coaster, which I doubt, I don't think it would be worth KIs investment. At least 3500 to 4000 ft and I still think that's kinda short.

I didn't realize that 2999ft or less qualified as a kids coaster. Good to know. I always thought rides like Invertigo Top Thrill Dragster were adult rides. Thanks for the education.

Also there are what, less than 100-150 coasters world wide over your 3500-4000 mark?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 16

A RMC with inversions, speed, airtime, and height. IMO sounds more intriguing than a GCI. And I'm sure the GP thinks the same thing.

May I also add, Yes, I understand Cedar Point is the capital park of Cedar Fair, but its kind of annoying when they get everything. They got Gatekeeper, Rougarou, and Valravn. They can settle with a GCI retracking, and let Kings Island get some light, and let us have the first RMC coaster. Or even give both parks the RMC.

The general public most likely doesn't care. I mean, sure, given the choice between a traditional wooden coaster and a looping wooden coaster, they'd probably choose the latter. But they aren't going to be upset that they got a traditional wooden coaster. Seriously, the only people who care this much about coaster manufacturers are enthusiasts.

• Like 6

After seeing this video for the first time, I noticed that the plans give us NORTH.  Something I don't recall seeing for the first time.  I will try to drop in a new layout and will be back here in a few.  Am I last to the party on this?

27627656021_fa358f3c09_z.jpgKIPROJECT2017North by KingsIsland1972, on Flickr

You're not late to the party per se..one or more forum members do have copies of plans, but they are not being shared/circulated openly on the decoding thread. I shared the video in the hopes of assisting members who do not yet have access to the plans to join in the decoding.

• Like 2

I find it hard to believe that a traditional small wooden coaster would sell lots of season passes.

It wouldn't sell YOU a pass, apparently, but as long as a coaster looks fun and interesting enough to ride, people will come. The same amount of people that would come for an RMC would come for a GCI, because they don't care about the manufacturer.

• Like 6