Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

Summary of coaster net video:

It is a wood coaster.

Based on footers in the engineer drawings they have ruled out RMC.

They believe it is a GCI.

Based on the lateral supports or lack there of they believe it is a metal truss structure.

They believe it to be a small wood coaster likely a family ride and no higher than 70 to 100 feet tall and not really fast.

So basically a short, small, slow wooden coaster.......bummer.

• Like 4

Ugh...Coaster-net....I hate them more than my combined dislike of TPR and Screamscape.

I don't know, man. They put a lot of good information out there (this time) so they can't be that bad.

Would you pick Buzz over TPR? I mean, that's the big two...

Let's just say I used to be a staff member there, and the behind the scenes crap is beyond idiotic.

If y'all wonder why I can pull up info on coasters/parks so quickly, its because I did loads of research being a news and editorial writer over there as well as writing a few rides and park pages (all of which have been changed and/or removed since my departure).

As Forrest Gump would say- That's all I have to say about that.

Ha.

I received a permanent ban today on TPR for the offense of posting "Perhaps calling people stupid and idiots is not helpful to the discussion. I rarely find them persuasive." In one post and that was it. Some unnamed entusiast from Orlando was ranting about the WDW alligator incident. Everyone who disagreed with him was a moron, stupid or an ******* idiot. So he deleted my post, banned me and continued to rant. Then later this afternoon all the posts in that thread after the incident were deleted.

Me thinks someone's wife got home and wasn't to happy.

Ha! I was banned from TPR years ago for a similar reason.

Mr. Bob Avery himself* had gotten into a debate with another poster following the New Texas Giant incident. Suddenly he turned completely rude towards the other, calling him a troll and such. I thought I'd be the nice guy and made a nice post stating how unnecessary it was to call this "troll" a troll.

The next morning, I got on and saw that my post and the whole debate preceding it had been deleted with a post from Avery stating that he cleaned up the discussion a bit. At first I was impressed that I actually got through to Avery. Then I realized he had also banned me.

Yes, he banned the person that convinced him to remove his own unkind posts. Makes sense, right?

*Robb Alvey for those who don't understand

^Woah Woah Woah! You have to at least somewhat like TPR for their POVs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Um, no.

I boycott any YouTube video from TPR even more vigorously than I boycott their site itself.

• Like 10

...and pays lots and lots of money for trips with the "in kids," until the day they no longer are.

Bob Avery is even more amazing in person than he is as a site owner. Incredible. Yep. That's the right word. Incredible.

He can be ingratiating, wonderful and fun. Or... And the change can be rapid and come out of nowhere for no apparent reason.

Life is too short for such drama. Every club has some, but some have waaay more than others.

• Like 18

After watching the video and analyzing all of our decoding thus far; I also have to agree this is going to be a mid-sized GCI with a metal support structure. It makes sense because if you think back to one of KI's first hints regarding "what we are looking for is under the train bridge", it is apparent that they weren't hinting that the new coaster would go under it.  They were hinting that the train bridge is supported by steel trusses, therefore the new coaster likely will be as well. I was hoping for an RMC because It would have really boosted the park's coaster lineup and given the park something unique a lot of other parks don't have. I do believe this new addition will not be extremely exciting for the people that enjoy high and fast coasters, but  I'm sure a lot of people will still enjoy it, as I'm sure the target market is more family oriented. Hopefully, I'm wrong, but the evidence thus far suggests otherwise. I guess we'll just have to keep waiting for our RMC or Giga....

• Like 4

Yes. Or was that an either/or question? I believe it's just views, not likes. Which is why he is so quick to grab a park's official videos, slap his logo and a "OMFG WOW!" title on it and upload it to his own channel.

I'll stop with the TPR bashing though, we all know what he's like.

I'm excited for the 2017 project, regardless of what it is.

• Like 10

Um, no.

I boycott any YouTube video from TPR even more vigorously than I boycott their site itself.

Question.... does TPR get money from the views the video has, or the amount of "likes" it receives?

I think it is views, but I also think a lot of the time the parks themselves pay TPR to come and do footage of the ride for them. I could be wrong about that tho

And yea metal structure GCI looks more and more likely. That said I think it will be a fairly large GCI. More in the 100-120' range. Also I think it will still be a great ride. I rode white lightning this year and that ride is still great even though it is very small. I'm hoping ours is larger tho

• Like 2

Um, no.

Question.... does TPR get money from the views the video has, or the amount of "likes" it receives?
I think it is views, but I also think a lot of the time the parks themselves pay TPR to come and do footage of the ride for them. I could be wrong about that tho

If any park is paying TPR, I'd be shocked, amazed and disappointed.

What is it now? A modeling agency?

• Like 11

Honestly for me I've never cared for TPR.... Buy my reason is I just find Rob to be annoying in most of his videos. Usually when I see one of their videos on YouTube I roll my eyes and keep scrolling trying to find someone else who posted the same content that I am looking for

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 11

Ugh...Coaster-net....I hate them more than my combined dislike of TPR and Screamscape.

I don't know, man. They put a lot of good information out there (this time) so they can't be that bad.

Would you pick Buzz over TPR? I mean, that's the big two...

Let's just say I used to be a staff member there, and the behind the scenes crap is beyond idiotic.

If y'all wonder why I can pull up info on coasters/parks so quickly, its because I did loads of research being a news and editorial writer over there as well as writing a few rides and park pages (all of which have been changed and/or removed since my departure).

As Forrest Gump would say- That's all I have to say about that.

Ha.

I received a permanent ban today on TPR for the offense of posting "Perhaps calling people stupid and idiots is not helpful to the discussion. I rarely find them persuasive." In one post and that was it. Some unnamed entusiast from Orlando was ranting about the WDW alligator incident. Everyone who disagreed with him was a moron, stupid or an ******* idiot. So he deleted my post, banned me and continued to rant. Then later this afternoon all the posts in that thread after the incident were deleted.

Me thinks someone's wife got home and wasn't to happy.

Who hasn't Slobby banned?

• Like 9

I use TPR more than I use this site. I was also involved in the alligator thread. I called him out for deleting my posts. He said I was "rude and obnoxious" I said something about his posts being worse than mine and quoted the disclaimer on the site. I surpringly didn't get banned.

• Like 13

Steel Support Structure on a GCI, huh? Personally I'd prefer wood supports for looks. Also I know there's been discussion as to whether steel support structures put more stress on the wooden track on twister designs. Some have speculated, (and there's been discussion here,) that may be part of the Voyage's problem with roughness. If that's not an issue it doesn't matter all that much.

• Like 5

Steel Support Structure on a GCI, huh? Personally I'd prefer wood supports for looks. Also I know there's been discussion as to whether steel support structures put more stress on the wooden track on twister designs. Some have speculated, (and there's been discussion here,) that may be part of the Voyage's problem with roughness. If that's not an issue it doesn't matter all that much.

Just a thought. If the whole thing is hidden in the woods the negative aesthetics of the steel supports would be minimized.

• Like 3

Wow, it's been a while since I posted here at KIC.  Interesting thread so far.

I have a question:  Does anyone know how wide the lifthill track is for a GCI coaster, including the handrails on each side?  Same question about RMC.

Thanks.

• Like 3

Who notices steel supports on the Coney Island Cyclone?

Comet at The Great Escape, A Member of the Six Flags Theme Park Family?

Terp -- who likes to ask questions.

I took the Coney Island Cyclone into consideration when I made the post. To answer your question, no one. Very few even know it has a steel support structure.

However, the Cyclone is relatively old school in terms of layout, mostly nearly straight up and down drops with high, (slower) turns. That is the old formula that most old woodies that were not Prior and Church/Travers were built on if I'm not mistaken. It was John Allen that was opposed to turns that were fast and high off the ground, right?

• Like 4

I went on a couple of the TPR trips and attended several events. I never caused drama. I was banned for liking a friend's Facebook status. I won't watch his videos and contribute to his existence anymore.

Your content is presumably still there, giving him pageviews.

One of my biggest beefs with that site (from the code of "conduct"):

11. A Club TPR member may not bring a current banned member of Theme Park Review or ClubTPR, or plan a "meet up" with any current banned member, to any Club TPR or Theme Park Review event, trip or any other Club TPR or Theme Park Review activity.

So, if I join the club, Alvey picks who I'm allowed to meet up with at, say, Coasterstock? Am I reading terms for a coaster club or a cult?

12. If any Club TPR member makes any disparaging comments in a public forum about Club TPR or Theme Park Review [...] your Club TPR membership may be suspended or revoked.

Non-disparagement clause? Really?

I guess it's good I don't have a membership to suspend or revoke.

• Like 6

^^Yes, people do know that

DB, helping?

haha.  Funny.  :lol:  I really must learn to clarify my questions. :rolleyes:

I meant would anyone here in the forum, who knows and perchance reads my post, tell me how wide the lifthill track is for a GCI coaster?  :P

Welcome back, secondson!

I humbly thank you, sir. :)

• Like 3

I'm actually hoping it is a GCI. After riding Joris en de Draak last week at De Efteling, my faith in them was restored (I'm not a fan of Kentucky Rumbler and only moderately enjoyed Thunderhead...the only other GCIs I've been on). Joris en de Draak was awesome...I liked it more than Baron 1898.

• Like 7