Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

I'm actually hoping it is a GCI. After riding Joris en de Draak last week at De Efteling, my faith in them was restored (I'm not a fan of Kentucky Rumbler and only moderately enjoyed Thunderhead...the only other GCIs I've been on). Joris en de Draak was awesome...I liked it more than Baron 1898.

You only moderately enjoyed Thunderhead, but it's in your top 10 coasters in your signature?

• Like 8

Steel Support Structure on a GCI, huh? Personally I'd prefer wood supports for looks. Also I know there's been discussion as to whether steel support structures put more stress on the wooden track on twister designs. Some have speculated, (and there's been discussion here,) that may be part of the Voyage's problem with roughness. If that's not an issue it doesn't matter all that much.

I've never thought it was rough.

Sent from my N9130 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

^^ Holiday World disagrees with you based on the fact that they tried to get Timberliners on it for several years. It's still my favorite coaster out of the 132 I've been on, but it is rough to me and I worry for it's future. PTC's were never intended to do what they ask them to do.

I found an old video of the legendary John Allen talking about "curves not doing anything for people."

Terp, would you say that he is right to an extent, or just stuck in his way of thinking? Maybe he was right with what could be done at the time? I know that the oldest coasters are mostly out and back, or at least not as twisty as a modern GCI.

• Like 8

^^ Holiday World disagrees with you based on the fact that they tried to get Timberliners on it for several years. It's still my favorite coaster out of the 132 I've been on, but it is rough to me and I worry for it's future. PTC's were never intended to do what they ask them to do.

I found an old video of the legendary John Allen his talking about "curves not doing anything for people."

Terp, would you say that he is right to an extent, or just stuck in his way of thinking? Maybe he was right with what could be done at the time? I know that the oldest coasters are mostly out and back, or at least not as twisty as a modern GCI.

"Curves don't do anything" is part of the reason people think Mean Streak is boring. Remember when he was designing rides, curves were not quick direction changes. People enjoy direction changes, and so the hills provided that in a more consistent way. Most of the previous twister designs would tear themselves apart due to either poor structural rigidity or poor vehicle tracking. Better engineering and construction techniques, and better vehicle design, has allowed designers to add curves to the direction change library.

• Like 15

You only moderately enjoyed Thunderhead, but is in your top 10 coasters in your signature?

Is it? I'm on my phone and can't see signatures. Looks like I probably need to update the list. I've ridden quite a few new coasters since then (including re-riding Thunderhead). I imagine my first impression was a bit better than subsequent rougher rides I experienced more recently.

• Like 6

Der Spinning Keggers anyone?

Just remember a few pickers went across the pond to find a horde of loot for certain Cedar Fair parks.......

(If anyone wants an Illuminati style decoding on the barrel tweet, simply ask and thou shalt receive.)

Donkey Kong throws barrels

Donkey Kong is a Ape

Goku can transform into a Ape

Goku starts with a G

Gravity Group also starts with a G

Gravity Group was founded by former CCI employees

CCI was founded by former Dinn Corp. Employees

Dinn Corp. was founded by Charlie Dinn

Charlie Dinn worked on The Beast

The Beast opened in 1979

Pink Floyd released The Wall in 1979

Pink Floyd performed in Cincinnati on April 23, 1972

Kings Island opened six days later on April 29, 1972

six divided by two is three

the Illuminati Symbol has three sides so

Kings Island is Illuminati Confirmed

• Like 13

Der Spinning Keggers anyone?

Just remember a few pickers went across the pond to find a horde of loot for certain Cedar Fair parks.......

(If anyone wants an Illuminati style decoding on the barrel tweet, simply ask and thou shalt receive.)

Donkey Kong throws barrels

Donkey Kong is a Ape

Goku can transform into a Ape

Goku starts with a G

Gravity Group also starts with a G

Gravity Group was founded by former CCI employees

CCI was founded by former Dinn Corp. Employees

Dinn Corp. was founded by Charlie Dinn

Charlie Dinn worked on The Beast

The Beast opened in 1979

Pink Floyd released The Wall in 1979

Pink Floyd performed in Cincinnati on April 23, 1972

Kings Island opened six days later on April 29, 1972

six divided by two is three

the Illuminati Symbol has three sides so

Kings Island is Illuminati Confirmed

I'm sorry I just HAD to do it when I saw this post

• Like 5

Anyone know what all the crates and barrels are for that are being stored between The Racer and the Coney Mall midway down close to Dinosaurs Alive?  These crates and barrels are being stored together in what looks like a structure that will eventually be covered. Interestingly enough, KI has hinted Project 2017 using barrels in their"roll the barrels out" pic. I was at KI today and If you look back in the clearing of trees directly across from the train station, I couldn't see the barrels, but I could see the crates that are very similar to the ones being stored with the barrels by DA. What's even more interesting is that there are the same exact crates placed where they cut those trees down in the very front of the park by the access road that goes back behind Timberwolf next to Congo Falls and Inveritgo. Not saying this is anything, but could it a hint for another ride beyond 2017? Just an observation. 

• Like 4

I was thinking they could have been for Haunt, but I was just a little thrown off to see them out where Project 2017 is after KI hinted the project by using barrels, and by being placed out in the very front of the park by an access road where no guests are permitted, but next to trees that were removed. Probably over analyzing. Thanks for clarifying. 

• Like 5

Nice pictures. I still think this coaster looks fairly large in scale. I don't really buy the small GCI idea

After doing some scaling work, based on all the information we have, the current length (without elevation accounted for) is 3250ft. 

Edit: A very rough outline of Prowler at WoF gives me 3000ft. So I can't imagine this ride being more than 3500ft.

• Like 3

Are you referring to the Voyage being rough or The Beast?

• Like 2

Are you referring to the Voyage being rough or The Beast?
They were referring to The Voyage. To me its not anymore rough than The Beast.

Sent from my N9130 using Tapatalk

• Like 5