Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

Went to the park today. Saw a tree removal company hard at work in between WWC's queue and the train station.

I noticed a marker in a place I wasn't expecting it today. The picture is kind of blurry unfortunately so it's hard to make out.

27831175416_b4a691d193_c.jpg

That's here:

27790161591_c7f76c7237_c.jpg

(Aerial pic taken from hamilton county maps)

If my memory serves me correctly, most of our speculation so far hasn't come anywhere near this marker.

But who knows, maybe this marker is for something else...

It maybe a construction road being built.

But idk just throwing ideas at the wall see if anything sticks

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

So Terp is saying the coaster...is joining... the train track? For 1500 feet? With a triple down? That makes the coaster even bigger than you engineers tracked it. It could include a near miss element with the train. And it would make as much sense as Frozen taking over Maelstrom in Epcot...

That doesn't make a lick of sense btw...

Frozen at Epcot I mean. I would never mean Terp. I don't have a clue what that guy is selling.

**Disclaimer**. The only disclaimer I will ever make. (Maybe). This is sarcasm...and in no way would I not know what Terp is selling. He sells insight and knowledge. For anyone reading outside .

• Like 6

Just out of curiosity, does the picnic grove make the park money? Cause if you take it out, or reduce it's size, it really opens some ideas that fit well. They could also tie the water park path to Rivertown and create a whole new area. 

Not high on the probability scale, but I'm confused by this project and am throwing things at the wall.

• Like 3

^ I just said it.  And so have millions of other people in the past 40+ years.  I highly doubt we are "nobody".  Maybe it was just before your time?

Just think...that clip above was made when Kings Island was under construction.

Hey, maybe this new "attraction" will be themed to the early 70's - when Kings Island was built!  Only music from the early 70's would be played!  

Maybe it will actually be called "Carpenters"...carpenters do work with wood, after all...

I would love to have songs from the early seventies play in the queue

Especially this one

• Like 2

Just out of curiosity, does the picnic grove make the park money? Cause if you take it out, or reduce it's size, it really opens some ideas that fit well. They could also tie the water park path to Rivertown and create a whole new area. 

Not high on the probability scale, but I'm confused by this project and am throwing things at the wall.

I think the only time they use it is for Halloweekends during October so as far as I know they don't use it for anything else

Every day the park is open, the Picnic Grove is being used for something. From a tiny family reunion with barely 50 people to a major manufacturing company outing that buy out the entire park (with patrons numbering in the tens of thousands), the Grove makes way more money than people realize.

• Like 8

Can you post the link to the Hamilton County map source? Thanks!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

It was posted a few pages back. 

http://cagisonline.hamilton-co.org/cagisonline/index.html

Has anyone else mapped locations of markers and clearings? I'd love to but as I'm 4 hours away, I'm not sure when my next trip down will be.

• Like 2

Picnic Grove is used almost daily for things like birthday parties, wedding receptions, company outings, Kings Island special event lunches and The Haunt all you can eat dinner!

Also I think KI just remodeled it either last year or during the off season!

• Like 7

I think the only time they use it is for Halloweekends during October so as far as I know they don't use it for anything else
Minus the events that happen on a daily basis there...

Edit: missed the other posts saying the same thing before I replied to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We can all rest assured that whatever this ride turns out to be, a family coaster or an absolute monster coaster, that Cedar Fair will greatly improve the beauty of the park and add to the area it goes in to. All of Cedar Fairs recent major additions have added midways or had awesome modifications to midways that really added to the enjoyment of the park. I am expecting something pretty spectacular on this front.

• Like 3

Picnic Grove gets used. Whether it makes money/profit for the park is another question. And...not everything in the park needs to be a direct money-maker. 

I'm not sure I could say Picnic Grove qualifies as one exactly, but loss leaders are a thing. If you don't know what a loss leader is, it's something sold at a loss (like an Xbox) because it will lead to you spending money on something else the mfgr makes profit from (like the games for the Xbox). The crazy 55" TV for $100 Black Friday sales? Those are loss leaders. They limit the number available for obvious reasons, but they get people to show up to the store and they'll buy other things.

There's other things that you could ask the same question about. Do the fountains make money for the park? Probably less than Picnic Grove since I doubt the fountains factor into any decision to have an event etc at the park.

Regardless, a service to guests that they use/enjoy is often times worthwhile to keep around, even if it (by itself) operates at a small loss. "Well, we could hold our event at King's Island, but we'd have to have the gathering in the parking lot since they put a ride where Picnic Grove used to be." If people come to the park, for whatever reason, they're paying for admission, they're buying food/drinks/merch etc. 

• Like 6

Guys, I'm not sure if we made it clear enough that the Picnic Grove gets used on a daily basis.

The Grove isn't going anywhere.  Can I see it being downsized slightly?  Yes.  Torn out, no.

It has downsized slightly. At one point there was an exit platform from the train just outside the Picnic Grove's fence line. Now the platform is gone and the fence line has moved back about 20 feet from the train.... Coincidence or just making room for future planning? Things that make you go... hmmmmm

• Like 3