Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

I think Don's posting on this site, as well as multiple direct references to this site on his social media shows that he does care, at least a bit, if not more than a bit.  Remember this is the guy who owns the record for most rides on The Racer; at heart he's a coaster enthusiasts.  With that said, if I could fashion a guess, requests, or even demands on a message board for more teasers is likely very, very far down the list of "issues" Don deals with on a daily basis.  How often do you think he gets stopped walking around the park with similar questions, how often do you think employees that he interacts with ask him for clues.  How often does he deal with PR headaches on a daily basis for the park?  Its a testament to the job that he does that he handles it all with grace and humility.  He knew the second those fences went up, the speculation would begin, its all part of the cat and mouse game that he plays.

• Like 13

Wow! People really can't handle anything in this country anymore. I was joking. I post a comment jokingly asking for a tweet, and I get called entitled, and a jerk? I wasn't "demanding" anything. The overreaction of the people on this site is ridiculous. I've been a member here for three years, and have never demanded anything or disrespected anyone. I hereby suspend my account. Coaster Addict out.

• Like 6

I imagine if KI did everything coaster enthusiasts wanted them to do, simply because they supposedly pay part of his salary, the park would be full of coasters each over 450' high, reaching speeds of 100+ mph, wrapping around the structure of the Eiffel Tower, and having 25 inversions each. There would be no family rides, and admission would only be $10. But that's no way to run a business.

Now, pardon me if I've rambled on. I sometimes have trouble with that, too. :unsure:

You left out basketballs. Don, I demand you no longer give away basketballs. :)

Wow! People really can't handle anything in this country anymore. I was joking. I post a comment jokingly asking for a tweet, and I get called entitled, and a jerk? I wasn't "demanding" anything. The overreaction of the people on this site is ridiculous. I've been a member here for three years, and have never demanded anything or disrespected anyone. I hereby suspend my account. Coaster Addict out.

I missed the jerk part. Don't worry the heat will be off you now that I went and demanded something. Bring it on!

• Like 3

That was a lot of pointless argument IMO that I just read through. I never seen a demand, and the thing about paying his salary, I slightly agree with. Look at disability, social security, welfare, etc. Don't us tax payers technically pay for their checks? Sorry, if any of you have any of the things I mentioned. And I know some of you may disagree with me, but that's just my outlook on it.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

• Like 7

My point- Why keep asking for teasers when you know Don won't immediately respond?  I don't get the rationale in that.  A thread full of that is tedious to read.  All those particular posts accomplish nothing.  What's so hard about being patient and going over the teasers as they come?

• Like 4

My point- Why keep asking for teasers when you know Don won't immediately respond?  I don't get the rationale in that.  A thread full of that is tedious to read.  All those particular posts accomplish nothing.  What's so hard about being patient and going over the teasers as they come?

Or just move on to the next post...

• Like 2

What we have here, I think, is a complete lack to tone in the written word. To be fair, it's not lacking tone entirely. It has the tone of the person reading it, which isn't necessarily the tone intended by the author.

1) Someone posts something that, in their mind, was lighthearted and whimsical.

2) Someone, or multiple someones, reads it with a different tone in their mind.

3) non-decoding back-and-forth clutters up the decoding thread

• Like 6

I just dislike the self-righteous forum vigilante group that can't differentiate between playfulness and entitlement.

For what it's worth, I am confident that I would be able to operate a park. I just never pursued it.

I think this may be a step over of what was originally intended.

We understand your point, and the other stance. Now let's move on and stop trying to get the last word in.  :)

I think you might be exaggerating a bit, Secondson. I agree that they know what they are doing, but I think that most of us would rather have a well rounded park like we have than one with Strata Coasters everywhere.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Of course I was exaggerating.  I was trying to make a point about how unreasonable some people can be in their desires and expectations.

I just dislike the self-righteous forum vigilante group that can't differentiate between playfulness and entitlement.

For what it's worth, I am confident that I would be able to operate a park. I just never pursued it.

My apologies...I wasn't trying to infer you or anyone else was incapable of running an amusement park.  I just meant the management and CF corporate execs know better about how to run KI than we do.  I was merely feeding off your comment about paying part of Don's salary.

Oh, calm down.  Let me give you a bit of advice....never make a dramatic exit.  It doesn't move anyone, and you always end up coming back anyway.  I'm speaking from experience.  I hope I've matured some since those days.

I imagine if KI did everything coaster enthusiasts wanted them to do, simply because they supposedly pay part of his salary, the park would be full of coasters each over 450' high, reaching speeds of 100+ mph, wrapping around the structure of the Eiffel Tower, and having 25 inversions each. There would be no family rides, and admission would only be $10. But that's no way to run a business.

Now, pardon me if I've rambled on. I sometimes have trouble with that, too. :unsure:

You left out basketballs. Don, I demand you no longer give away basketballs. :)

I missed the jerk part. Don't worry the heat will be off you now that I went and demanded something. Bring it on!

darn...the basketballs.  I forgot about the basketballs.  (Don gives away basketballs??)

That was a lot of pointless argument IMO that I just read through. I never seen a demand, and the thing about paying his salary, I slightly agree with. Look at disability, social security, welfare, etc. Don't us tax payers technically pay for their checks? Sorry, if any of you have any of the things I mentioned. And I know some of you may disagree with me, but that's just my outlook on it.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

People pay into their own social security.  As I see it, just because a company offers a product or service, and the public buys it, that does not give the public a right to demand said company to provide them with information about any upcoming new products or services.

A lot of members I have seen on here act like they have a controlling interest in the park. If a member had a bad experience there is some that rushes in to defend the park, etc.

Maybe they do.  After all, Cedar Fair is a publicly traded company. ;)

What we have here, I think, is a complete lack to tone in the written word. To be fair, it's not lacking tone entirely. It has the tone of the person reading it, which isn't necessarily the tone intended by the author.

1) Someone posts something that, in their mind, was lighthearted and whimsical.

2) Someone, or multiple someones, reads it with a different tone in their mind.

3) non-decoding back-and-forth clutters up the decoding thread

Absolutely.  Great post!  I was going to say something similar.  There are many times when others cannot "hear" the inflections in our voices while they're reading a message we've written.

And yes, #3 is very true.  We should get this back to decoding.

• Like 3

If some of you would have pointed out from the start that those posts were jokes and explained them (I certainly didn't see it as a joke and I've read stuff before that and there was no context to make me think that way), I would have dropped it.  Sarcasm isn't that easy to convey over the internet.  

• Like 6

No. Cedar Fair is NOT a publicly traded company.

Cedar Fair is a limited partnership. If you bought ALL the units, you would not control the master partnership that controls Cedar Fair LP.

Cedar Fair stocks are traded in the the stock market. It's listed as "FUN"!

• Like 1

No. Cedar Fair is NOT a publicly traded company.

Cedar Fair is a limited partnership. If you bought ALL the units, you would not control the master partnership that controls Cedar Fair LP.

What part of this am I misunderstanding, terp?  http://ir.cedarfair.com/company-overview/default.aspx

And what is this?... http://ir.cedarfair.com/stock-information/unit-information/default.aspx

I'm not a stockbroker, so apparently someone needs to explain it to me.

I mean, is it just a difference in the words "company" and "partnership"?  If so, forgive my indiscretion.  It must be a technicality that is throwing me off.

• Like 2

No. It is not just words.

A company has stock, shareholders who each own a part of it. A limited partnership has units which have a right to share in the income, but the master partnership, NOT the unit holders, owns and controls the company.

There are major tax differences, corporate governance differences, and even cultural differences.

Cedar Fair LP is not a publicly traded company in which you can buy stock. FUN is not stock. Its owners are owners of units in the limited partnership. They do not by owning units in the limited partnership have any interest in the master partnership that owns the partnership.

• Like 8

But then why is it listed on the NYSE?  Doesn't that mean anyone in the public can buy shares of its stock?

Eesh, I truly am ignorant when it comes to stuff like this. haha. :wacko:

Anyway, all of that aside, back to decoding...of which I've done little. :unsure:^_^

• Like 1

No. What you buy there are units. Cedar Fair has no stock. It is a partnership--with a limited partnership you can buy units in-and a master partnership whose units are closely held--to say the least.

This structure is what kept D. Kinzel from being able to lowball the company to Apollo Global in exchange for riches, much to his chagrin.

• Like 4

I don't know.  Everything I'm reading online when I do a Google search is talking about CF stock, not units.  It's listed on the NYSE.  The company is referred to as "publicly traded".  But truly, I'm not interested in debating about stuff I really don't know much about.  All I know is what I read.

• Like 1

If some of you would have pointed out from the start that those posts were jokes and explained them (I certainly didn't see it as a joke and I've read stuff before that and there was no context to make me think that way), I would have dropped it.  Sarcasm isn't that easy to convey over the internet.

With regard to the original comment, wording can make a big difference. "I wish Don would post another hint" is more respectful than "Hey Don, we'd like another hint".

I was joking. I post a comment jokingly asking for a tweet, and I get called entitled, and a jerk? I wasn't "demanding" anything. The overreaction of the people on this site is ridiculous.

All that was really needed is an "oops, I didn't mean to come across that way". At some point, it happens to most everyone. (And I should know something about trying to be funny but having it taken the wrong way...)

Disrepectful posts in the past are a big reason why Don doesn't engage with this site much anymore, hence the sensitivity.

• Like 4

No. What you buy there are units. Cedar Fair has no stock. It is a partnership--with a limited partnership you can buy units in-and a master partnership whose units are closely held--to say the least.

This structure is what kept D. Kinzel from being able to lowball the company to Apollo Global in exchange for riches, much to his chagrin.

I think this helps describe the current situation.

e8ee7e178148760037e16cbc43983b13.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8