Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

Using Gavpenn's description, this layout fits pretty much everywhere. There is a little bit of a issue with the coaster station, but this isn't a true topdown map and the scaling could be off a hair. But everything else matches up. The abutments line up with the reservoir. Everywhere it crosses WWC, the amount of lines that are on the mini layout of the coaster thin out suggesting it's crossing something. Everything it crosses, it crosses at a point that is at least practical. Where it crosses the WWC conveyor, queue area is a little sketchy, but I think its doable. The various turns on the coster that would be made to go around obstacles, all match up with the topography and obstacles. The scale is correct from the plans. It does match the newly pointed out "lake crossing."

The only thing that doesn't fit is the coords and "north" designation on the plans. Many of us have plotted the coords. The coords match the orientation of the plans and show that the north arrow on the detail plans is pointed north in relation to the coords. So for this layout to be right, either the coords are wrong, or they are using coords that aren't on a north/south orientation. 

So any thoughts? Anyone with experience with blueprints on a custom coords system as I've never heard of that. 

27702007760_01e7428f07_b.jpg

• Like 12

I think fryoj has hit the nail on the head--that image matches up to the existing clearings and the flags that can be seen from the train.

That does beg the question of why the trees between the train and the reservoir are being cleared... Is it just for the aesthetics of being able to see the coaster from the train?

• Like 5

I think fryoj has hit the nail on the head--that image matches up to the existing clearings and the flags that can be seen from the train.

That does beg the question of why the trees between the train and the reservoir are being cleared... Is it just for the aesthetics of being able to see the coaster from the train?

I really think thats an access road. They have to be able to get construction vehicles like concrete trucks over to the old WWC queue area. They also will want access to that area after the coaster is built. As of now, everything would have to come through the park to get there. A road there gives them backstage access. 

• Like 8

So any thoughts? Anyone with experience with blueprints on a custom coords system as I've never heard of that.

On most plans their are two Norths, one would be labeled true North and a second one labeled Project North. The nothing on the plans that we see could be a Project North.
  • Like 3

^^ I've only seen the key plan for the ride that was posted here prior.  Key plans are not always going to be lined up with the north arrow (true or plan) on the regular drawings, the key plan is there as a reference so you know what area of the project the sheet is showing.  True north may not even be on the plan at all, may only appear on a set of civil drawings or on a project cover sheet.

• Like 3

Assuming that positioning/layout is at least close to accurate, why does it seem people are stuck on the ride going over the reservoir? Why not under?

The detail plan that we've seen is an abutment. An abutment is a bridge end. A tunnel would be one structure from end to end, and not a "north" or "south" part. 

^^ I've only seen the key plan for the ride that was posted here prior.  Key plans are not always going to be lined up with the north arrow (true or plan) on the regular drawings, the key plan is there as a reference so you know what area of the project the sheet is showing.  True north may not even be on the plan at all, may only appear on a set of civil drawings or on a project cover sheet.

On the detail drawing of the abutment, it has a "North" arrow. I had not considered it as a plan north, simply because the coords listed show the orientation to be correct for true north when plotted against each other. Now that does bring back the problem we have had in trying to figure out what coords system they are using. This layout is rotated about 50.5 degrees off true North. So that means the coords would have to be rotated that much as well. I can accept that easily enough. The only problem is then it puts the 0,0 point in the middle of a subdivision across the highway. That doesn't necessarily discount it. I just want this to be neat and tidy and it just isn't working out that way. 

• Like 4

I am not affiliated with the project. No need to rip my business apart either. Oldschool , I would show you my prints but I know with your childish behavior, you would post them and ruin what little decoding fun is left. I was team giga Until I saw the prints. Saying I waited until the leak is rediculious. Did you do your research on the thread or are you just stiring the pot? Looking forward to your apologies when they start draining the reservoir lake. Until then, xoxoxo!

Not knocking your business. Also, I have my own set of prints; thank you. I'm here to keep things interesting. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Ok...if you look at my last post, you can see NORTH on the plans in the screenshot. So, I dropped this in within the RR Tracks. Where I scaled this as accurately as I could, if you look at the lines of the plans around the track, I was trying my best to line them up with the surrounding objects. At the turnaround, the outlines lined up perfectly with the train house. One part could line up with the RR Tracks next to DB the other the train station. I scaled it, and it's about 800-900 feet out. I feel it's only going to be a 2500 to 3000ish feet of track. (Imagine Racers at 3,415') I could be wrong on EVERYTHING, but...this is my final thought and I feel I'm much closer to figuring out where they will drop it in. Thursday evening, my son goes with his mom for the week. I will spend the evening at Kings Island on the train and WWC combing out my thoughts on this and then enjoy some DB after-hours in the park. I hope to see you there. Let me know what you think.

27424471310_eff4f9df00_z.jpgKingProjectNORTHiFinal by KingsIsland1972, on Flickr

Sorry you're way off. That north indicator does not refer to overview of the ride.

Then why would they insert that on a blueprint plan? Doesn't that offer reference to the work site? I do believe you are wrong.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

So you are debating with someone who has the plans, plotted out the coordinates and knows the orientation of the coaster; and you only have seen a small tidbit? Smh

Uuhm....Yep! I guess I am! SO What??? You're "da man with the plans!" Big Whoop! Quit prancing around on us little people just because you know something more than the rest of us. I'm having fun speculating as much as the next guy. I'm enjoying this while I can. So tired of you BIG SHOTS walking on the rest of us who don't have insight. If anything, you should just sit back and have a laugh at our expense, but NO, you have to point out you're the BIG MAN ON CAMPUS and act like you have something to prove. You're not raining on my parade. I'm just calling it as I see it. Maybe you don't know...and a Bluff is all you have to hold on to. I'm here to have fun and enjoy everyone's posts...right or wrong!!! Anyone who knows me, and it's few on this site knows I'm a super duper guy with respect and caring heart for others. I'm not here to start anything, just enjoying the ride until the big announcement.
I don't bluff. And I'll pretend to be bigger above anybody else. I was just trying to guide those that didn't have the plans. Those who wanted to be surprised you can think this guy for spoiling. For those of you who have been nice, and not a grumpy sour puss; check your in box.

Here I go again.  Can't stop working on this.  I'm serious when I say I feel like it won't go outside the train perimeter of MVRR with the exception of the entrance.  It will be on a platform, entrance will be at the Old Funnel Cake Stand, it will look and feel like Banshee train house and the MVRR will travel under it.  If it doesn't go above the tree tops, I say 3000 to 3500 Feet of track.  Anything above the skyline, maybe 4500  to 5000 ft of track.  With today's tweet from KingsIslandPR, if there are barrel rolls, then I wonder if it will have a cork screw like Vortex somewhere on the track.  Just putting the pieces together.  Who's with me on this?

27457912410_8064826f95_z.jpgKIProject2017FinalEdit by KingsIsland1972, on Flickr

Using Gavpenn's description, this layout fits pretty much everywhere. There is a little bit of a issue with the coaster station, but this isn't a true topdown map and the scaling could be off a hair. But everything else matches up. The abutments line up with the reservoir. Everywhere it crosses WWC, the amount of lines that are on the mini layout of the coaster thin out suggesting it's crossing something. Everything it crosses, it crosses at a point that is at least practical. Where it crosses the WWC conveyor, queue area is a little sketchy, but I think its doable. The various turns on the coster that would be made to go around obstacles, all match up with the topography and obstacles. The scale is correct from the plans. It does match the newly pointed out "lake crossing."

The only thing that doesn't fit is the coords and "north" designation on the plans. Many of us have plotted the coords. The coords match the orientation of the plans and show that the north arrow on the detail plans is pointed north in relation to the coords. So for this layout to be right, either the coords are wrong, or they are using coords that aren't on a north/south orientation. 

I've been presenting this layout since the beginning.  Where I'm no expert in the field of coasters, I am a super fan of decoding and been having fun with it.  I've tweaked and tweaked and with my best ability of information gathered from here and there and everywhere, I gave you the best that I could.  Gavpen's hints seem to be spot on.  I hope that after all is said and done, that Oldschool75 can sit down with me at Starbucks and have a chuckle over the past month of bantering that has taken place.  All I wanted to do was have some fun and share my ideas like the rest of you.  Until we find out, may the best man/woman win the 'interwebs award' for getting the closest or in my case "On The Money Award!"  Thank you and I'll be happy to give my award winning speech when I'm the first person to ride this bad boy.  (heehee)  #fryoj...your map looks like my map from 2 weeks ago.  LOL.  

• Like 6

I've been presenting this layout since the beginning.  Where I'm no expert in the field of coasters, I am a super fan of decoding and been having fun with it.  I've tweaked and tweaked and with my best ability of information gathered from here and there and everywhere, I gave you the best that I could.  Gavpen's hints seem to be spot on.  I hope that after all is said and done, that Oldschool75 can sit down with me at Starbucks and have a chuckle over the past month of bantering that has taken place.  All I wanted to do was have some fun and share my ideas like the rest of you.  Until we find out, may the best man/woman win the 'interwebs award' for getting the closest or in my case "On The Money Award!"  Thank you and I'll be happy to give my award winning speech when I'm the first person to ride this bad boy.  (heehee)  #fryoj...your map looks like my map.  LOL.  

Yeah, you look to have it mostly cracked a while back. I'm still perplexed by the plans themselves as they seem to discount this layout. But this seems to fit, so it is what it is. 

• Like 7

this is for the one who Still don't get the difference between RMC wooden and RMC steel hybrid coasters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7jzb5DYKqs  (skip to 7:25 for explanation)

I still like Lokie to be honest, it has the logging idea and the train theme mixed into one

A representative of RMC of course it's wood! I want to keep my job! But by definition it is not. Wooden coaster has running rails made of steel strips mounted on laminated wood. Steel coaster has running rails made of tubular steel but in RMC's case it's squared instead of tubular.
  • Like 8

I've been presenting this layout since the beginning.  Where I'm no expert in the field of coasters, I am a super fan of decoding and been having fun with it.  I've tweaked and tweaked and with my best ability of information gathered from here and there and everywhere, I gave you the best that I could.  Gavpen's hints seem to be spot on.  I hope that after all is said and done, that Oldschool75 can sit down with me at Starbucks and have a chuckle over the past month of bantering that has taken place.  All I wanted to do was have some fun and share my ideas like the rest of you.  Until we find out, may the best man/woman win the 'interwebs award' for getting the closest or in my case "On The Money Award!"  Thank you and I'll be happy to give my award winning speech when I'm the first person to ride this bad boy.  (heehee)  #fryoj...your map looks like my map.  LOL.  

Yeah, you look to have it mostly cracked a while back. I'm still perplexed by the plans themselves as they seem to discount this layout. But this seems to fit, so it is what it is. 

Not only would the orientation need to be incorrect, the scale would need to be incorrect as well. Unless they are planning on altering the reservoir and train quite a bit more than we originally thought.

• Like 3

This is really interesting!  WCPO is heading to Kings Island today this afternoon for an interview with Don!  Hope they put the interview up on their site.  You look good on cam Don!  :P

Are they going to interview mr. Spiegal? "Yes, it looks like a roller coaster."

• Like 7

Here's another story:

http://www.wlwt.com/news/kings-island-hints-at-new-ride-for-2017-peek-at-the-foundation-plans/40275856?ens=1&utm_campaign=Local%2B%2BAlerts_54ae94200cf2bed14021cc06_cin&utm_content=20160629_1240&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Local%2BBreaking%2BNews

I'm intrigued by the quote from Don

Don Helbig with Kings Island PR also gave this clue to WLWT's Karin Johnson: "Over the river and through the woods, to the train house you'll go."

• Like 14