Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

So I've been on a camping trip for about a week and couldn't keep up with this thread. Can anyone fill me in on any recent news or anything big that may have happened?

Nothing major has really happenend, the media were sent fake axes if that counts as major

With Don Helbig stirring the pot with the media hopefully this is a "big addition" and not some rinky dink wood coaster(GCI) You can only make a splash with an RMC or an Intamin IMO.

• Like 3

The footing design may or may not have been done by GCI or RMC, it can be done by a different contractor. I will note that while Thunder Road was designed by Curtis Summers of PTC, the actual wooden structure was built by locals hired by Carowinds. Did PTC have someone in charge of construction, maybe but my understanding is that Carowinds themselves were in charge of the construction. RMC has stated before that just because they design the coaster doesn't mean they erect it. Also footing design can be based on soil and ground conditions.

I believe the foundations for this coaster were done by Clark Reder, based in West Chester (just as Banshee's were done by Schaefer).

Anyone else think that footer-thing looks like a B&M footer? I compared pics (from RCDB) of Diamondback, Lightning Rod (RMC) and Thunderhead (GCI) and saw that the latter two have circular footers while D-back has square footers. Hmmm...

Diamondback and Banshee both have some circular ones, too.

• Like 5

Anyone else think that footer-thing looks like a B&M footer? I compared pics (from RCDB) of Diamondback, Lightning Rod (RMC) and Thunderhead (GCI) and saw that the latter two have circular footers while D-back has square footers. Hmmm...

Rather than a footer, it looks like a concrete drainage cover to me.

It is a concrete drainage box. 

• Like 8

3145bbq.jpg

I circled three sections, in the two yellow areas the lines only go half way across, and they almost alternate which side they are on. Why? It seems strange unless something is going on with the ride at these points. The section I circled in red also stands out to me. The edge lines are missing. This is the only section of the ride this occurs on.

Anyone know of a design element these sections might represent? I cannot think of something on a GCI coaster which would look like this. But maybe someone else has an idea.

I just want to point out that wooden coasters have more bents in the valleys than at the top of the hills. However the red section to me could be section where the bents are so short that they don't connect to other(except may handrails) or this could be an inversion.

Thunderhead1.jpg

ThunderRoad05.jpg

Images found on Google, copyright Coaster Gallery.

• Like 4

Hey Everyone.   New guy here.  Been following the thread for a bit and just wanted to say hey.   Can't wait for new info, or even speculation.

I'll be at the park later in the week. I'll post pics, if I see anything of value.

Exciting times.

• Like 10

Been following along for awhile and decided to join in!

I can't wait to see what KI has up their sleeves, and I love reading all the speculation.

I agree that night rides look like they are going to be a lot of fun!

Welcome to KIC!

Thank you!

And thanks to everyone who is posting pictures. With not being able to get to the park anymore this year, it definitely helps me get my fix!

• Like 12

R.E. Middleton Construction did most of the concrete work on Banshee and Valravn.  Here they are pouring sidewalks and a parking lot.....  Or adding footers for a totally sweet B & M Giga Inverted Dive Wing coaster for an elementary school. 

• Like 24

I wouldn't think so.

With the way SoB ended up, I'd almost guess KI will have The Beast, but nothing else with that name in it.

You could be right but I don't think so. Yeah the way it ended was kinda bad, but Son of Beast was was a legend and much more people loved it than hated it. Plus that was about 4-5 years ago now. I think something in The Beast family is a possibility

• Like 3