Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

Just finally rode the train today (last one of the night). Was going to around 1, but they were evacuating Soak City since the storm closed it temporarily and they requested only those people who needed to go to SC (cars, lockers) to ride the train.

So, I noticed they finally started cutting down trees on the right side of the train just before the currently unused Haunt station. They've been marked green for removal since the markers first went up, so it's not a surprise. They hadn't started in that area yet when I rode last Wednesday tho.

• Like 12

I get what Logan was trying to say on the last page. If they convert Mean streak, they'll only have 1 true wooden roller-coaster in the park.  It's bad enough that the GP think that Gemini and Cedar Creek mine ride are wooden roller-coasters. Imagine if Mean Streak was converted, people would think Mean Streak was still a wooden roller-coaster. I can just imagine how people will be talking in the Crazy things people say while waiting in line thread on Pointbuzz.

• Like 4

I honestly don't know about Mean Streak being converted. Then their biggest wooden coaster is Blue Streak which is not very impressive, so unless they plan on getting a new wooden soon I think it will be a re-profile from GCI.

converted? I thought toppler track was considered wood?
  • Like 1

My guess is who ever is refitting Hurler at KD. Is the one building the new one here. If it's GCI why keep it a secret as to who is doing the refitting of Hurler unless it's something big. KD hasn't had a new coaster since 305 and I don't think a GCI rehabbing of Hurler would created the kind of buzz that they seem to be hiding. But then again it could be just part of a deal CF has with GCI to rehab some of there coasters and throw in a new one at KI.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Apparently, a GCI truck was seen leaving the construction site according to reports.

Could you please elaborate?

Yes.  There was allegedly a truck inside of the construction site with a GCI logo on it somewhere.

What else would you want?

Well, I guess I could have posted that I heard there was an RMC truck there, too.  Without pics or any credible source to note, it makes it rather pointless.  Did the Dippin' Dots guy start this rumor again, or?

• Like 7

Still hadn't seen any credible sources or photos but the reports I had seen just said work truck with the letters G, C, and I on it. Didn't sound like ti was a logo or anything, sounded like it was more like another one of the teases so far and nothing official.

• Like 3

Not going to believe anything till I see pictures. It is possible for them to have a truck there. But wouldn't they wait to send anybody till they are actually constructing the thing. Not just clearing land and setting the supports. Any way after reading through their website a GCI seems more likely from the plans that have been posted and some of their trademark track designs. COME ON DON JUST TELL US ALREADY !!!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I want to go ahead and add my thoughts about the discussion of the classification of the RMC Coasters.  It seems that there are many different opinions about what a Wood, Steel, or Hybrid coaster consist of.  I guess I consider myself a coaster enthusiast, but I also would say I am a construction enthusiast as well.  I definitely love coasters and love the ride experience, but I would say I am equally fascinated with how they are designed, how they are built, and just the overall construction process in general!  These things are truly remarkable when you consider everything that goes in to one!

Having said that, I think its very difficult to classify an RMC in any given category.  I say this because I am construction guy, and I usually evaluate things by the way they are designed and put together.  My initial thought was to just throw RMC in the Hybrid category because of the building materials.  After doing some research on all of their products and installations, I am backing off labeling anything RMC as Wood, Steel or Hybrid.  I think its most appropriate that RMC has its own classification quite honestly.  Ill explain why:

When I look at their I-Box installations, I see a huge variety.  There is the new projects that are all steel, all wood, or wood and steel.  The layouts seem to be more aligned with Wooden Coasters, but the features tend to be more like a Steel Coaster.  I have a hard time calling them a Hybrid, because I see those as more of a Mine Train or Gemeni type Coaster.  Then you have to throw in the I-Box rehabs of traditional Wooden Coasters.  I think at that point it looses the Wooden classification, but again, its hard for me to call it a hybrid.

I took a good look at their Topper Track system too.  I think this is probably closest to a Wooden Coaster, but I wouldn't commit to calling that a wood coaster.  From what I can see, most of boards of a traditional wooden track stack on top of each other with the topper essentially in place of where the top 1 or 2 boards would be.  If this was the only difference, I would still consider it a wood coaster.  When you think about it, there is still steel on traditional wooden tracks, it just happens to be the surface the wheels make contact with.  The track topper system essentially mimics the shape of that top assembly to create a more durable version.  The tricky part comes when evaluating how it is secured.  Most of the pictures I was looking at showed some steel lateral members underneath the track.  I believe this system allows the stack of wooden boards to be sandwiched in-between the topper and the steel lateral members.  At that point, I consider that to be too much steel involved for me to call it a wooden coaster.  It still doesn't seem like a hybrid either. 

I think RMC is probably one of the most innovative companies the coaster world has seen in a while.  Their designs allow for some pretty unique elements that make their rides special.  I think we will probably be seeing a lot more rides like these in the future.  In a way, its probably as ground breaking as the first steel coaster was back in the day, or even the first coaster inversion.  I think this is a type of coaster that others are going to recreate with their own similar technologies.  

Just my thoughts!

• Like 10

I'm ok. Sorry. Too much Howard Stern and Riley Martin this weekend I think. I also watched Napoleon Dynamite here this last week. Who knows what I'm doing? It's crazy town over here.

To be honest...I'm researching a trip to ride Ravine Flyer II here in August. It looks amazing to me.

Fantastic coaster.  Enjoy... 

• Like 2

Any day now im hoping to see a countdown on visitkingsisland.com Im hoping they will stick with the August announcement trend and we will be hearing something soon. All i want for Christmas in July is to know the announcement date... I dont even need to know what kind of coaster right now.... just a date for the announcement. Please Don please.

• Like 5

Any day now im hoping to see a countdown on visitkingsisland.com Im hoping they will stick with the August announcement trend and we will be hearing something soon. All i want for Christmas in July is to know the announcement date... I dont even need to know what kind of coaster right now.... just a date for the announcement. Please Don please.

man I'm hoping the same thing. I'm so eager 

• Like 4