Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

Just a few responses and I'm being too lazy to quote, so assume I'm addressing you directly....

Disney Flips Magic Kingdom between Halloween and Thanksgiving for Christmas and has the park open every day while they do it. Granted, they have larger staffs and budgets, but it can be done. Not necessarily should, but can.

The concrete truck was most likely filling in those holes that they put the steel beams in. They didn't pile drive them, so something has to secure them. That also makes me wonder if those are for something other than soil retention purposes. 

Looks like the excavator is pulling stumps. Should be able to see the preliminary grade work in that area done soon. I'm suspecting that will be the area that the top of the lift ends up, so it may need to be done first. 

• Like 8

The concrete truck was most likely filling in those holes that they put the steel beams in. They didn't pile drive them, so something has to secure them. That also makes me wonder if those are for something other than soil retention purposes.

They most definitely were using it for that, as evidenced by a pic someone else posted (I'm not going back through four pages of Winterfest discussion to find out who). I also had pics that show the concrete at the base of the beams but figured there was no point in repeating it.

ce3c0280ad765962a0874c182fb9e7c7.jpg

I guess I just thought it was more interesting than most. I don't know enough about this kind of construction to speculate about what this method of building indicates as far as what the finished product may be.

There seem to be two rows involved, a few feet apart, so I don't think it is a retaining wall. Meaning, there is the line of holes where they have sunken the beams and filled with concrete, and a second parallel row of holes covered by the particle board signs, which will presumably be undergoing the same treatment soon. So, to me, it suggests some sort of a bridge/trestle/track support.

• Like 10

Ok so after seeing the most recent construction pics (Thanks as always guys/gals) and reading some post this is my theory on the beam section we've been seeing. So I think its safe to assume the entrance to the Project2017 is going to be right where our iconic fence and signs are. That being said, if you think about the return ride from Soak City right before the train turns to go to the station your practically headed straight towards that wall. So in order for them to run the que for the "Project" which would start at the fence i believe a small relocation of the trains tracks are in order. Thankfully it seems like a couple more days or so and we should find out at least what they are doing with that section.

• Like 3

5868ddb863.jpg

586b0d1dc7.jpg

Ok...first let me say I know nothing about the train route, but just going by google map, do I have the area of the steel beams right in these pictures? The blueprints say AREA OF WORK where I have (area of steel beams?) written. I'm just totally guessing with too much time, but based on the coaster blueprint shape, do you think this layout could possibly work? This design would put lift hill over by Diamondback assuming there is clearing over there. I've seen so many train videos my head is spinning and I might have all this backwards. Somebody set me straight. Just a guess anyway. haha!

• Like 8

Coasters are about presentation...from the freeway and from the Midway's. I think it will be right up front to rivertowns main path. Right smack as close as can be tilted in a way that is viewable to 71.

The first drop I mean.

Really? What about The Beast? :)

• Like 14

It looks like a pretty interesting layout. Definitely would change the train experience, because that would require a lot of the structure to be built over/around the track.

The only work I've seen by DB so far is the big clearing near the new WWC queue (which coincides with your top of the lift hill, more or less), and a couple trees down by where the DB on-ride photos are taken.

• Like 3

I feel like the first drop might be right next to the WWC que, sort of how Banshee has the loop right next to Action Zone. This would gain the attention of people in Rivertown while still being able to keep most of it hidden in the woods. Overall I think a coaster is just one piece of the puzzle, I think we will see quite a revival of the Rivertown area.

• Like 6

Presto, that big clearing is behind the train station, over toward the old Crypt building along the tracks in one direction and to the reservoir in the other direction. The pic was taken from the new WWC queue it looks like, which cuts across the train tracks near the old Crypt queue.

Edit: I take it back, both pics were from the train, looks like the first one was along the train station area and the second after the crossing of WWC queue.

• Like 6

It looks like a pretty interesting layout. Definitely would change the train experience, because that would require a lot of the structure to be built over/around the track.

The only work I've seen by DB so far is the big clearing near the new WWC queue (which coincides with your top of the lift hill, more or less), and a couple trees down by where the DB on-ride photos are taken.

Wasn't there reports of clearing over by picnic grove as well?

• Like 2

I haven't seen much activity near Picnic Grove, even marking, I don't think. Other than the main clearing I described, the only other work is the clearing and construction on the edge of the reservoir along the tracks and a few trees down or slated for removal along the tracks just before the unused station. I'm not sure exactly where that station is on the map, it seems like it is around the train house.

Edit: I really need to get a good map and mark all I've seen for those of you who can't visit at all or as often as I do.

• Like 8

2d2a31edc443573f281d6ce202685081.jpg3c5215eb72a7890837bb6486425389ad.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Where is all this clearing at? It's hard for me to visualize. Can you point it out on the google map?

That clearing would be where you placed the first hill. around about

So it makes sense so far? LOL!  The blueprints say "AREA OF WORK" right where they are putting steel beams in by my layout. Hmmmm......I am totally prepared to be 100% WRONG :lol:   Where would my guess put the coaster station at? Is that over by picnic grove?

• Like 3

The beams they are setting don't match the plans we've seen It's definitely not the area of work.  I still haven't seen anything that makes me think this isn't the configuration.

27702007760_01e7428f07_b.jpg

Did you post this previously?  That's almost what I just posted except you go over the water after the drop and I go around the water. I was hoping they would interact with the water somehow, but I was just guessing going by where they are currently setting beams. Wouldn't yours go right over WWC?

• Like 3

Sorry to double post but the edit key wasn't working for some reason. If any super fanboys cared which companies are on site working, there were two vehicles with Cardinal Tree Service logos on them as well as an excavation company I can't remember the name of. Probably should've snapped a picture but I could only see it for a brief second.

• Like 7

I think the current construction with the I-beams has something to do with the train either having to be rerouted because of the new coaster, and/or is part of the train ride renovation that some people think it will receive because of the new ride.

• Like 3

There seem to be two rows involved, a few feet apart, so I don't think it is a retaining wall. Meaning, there is the line of holes where they have sunken the beams and filled with concrete, and a second parallel row of holes covered by the particle board signs, which will presumably be undergoing the same treatment soon. So, to me, it suggests some sort of a bridge/trestle/track support.

How certain are you there is a second row?  At least from the pictures I have seen I am not convinced it exists.  

Disclaimer:  I have not been at the park since Sunday evening.  

From the pictures I have seen it appears that they drilled several holes in a row and covered them with the plywood.  Then when they went back and placed the beams they set the plywood aside.  Since the plywood would be moved closer to the water every time to keep them out of the way of the workers and equipment it gave the appearance of a second row which I do not believe actually exists.

• Like 3