Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

It still looks like a soil retention wall to me.  It is being built this way either for appearance reasons or to not be disruptive to the park while driving sheet piles into the ground.  It appears to be a post system which will then have something placed between the posts to build the actual wall.  

For example if the park wants to use precast sections of concrete.

This example is from Armtec.

Soil-Retention-Durisol-Narrow-Footprint-

The park might instead be going for wood which is also cheaper.  When I heard that the park received a truck load of wood the is what I originally assumed would be on the truck until I saw a close up.

Highrsjrailwaysleeperwall20_lg.jpg

This image is from Railway Sleepers.

• Like 12

So at what part of the train ride would get re-routed if in fact that is what's happening? :unsure:

None?  Look at what is directly past this area, an existing maintenance road.  To me this looks like they are extending the road.  I really think people are trying to turn this work into a lot more then what it really is.  

There will be plenty of construction on the coaster itself later on.  But at this point in time they are still trying to get the site prep done.

• Like 3

Did you post this previously?  That's almost what I just posted except you go over the water after the drop and I go around the water. I was hoping they would interact with the water somehow, but I was just guessing going by where they are currently setting beams. Wouldn't yours go right over WWC?

This was posted a week or two ago. Others have been posting similar layouts. The problem with going around the water is that it would put the coaster going over/through the train shed. Thats almost certainly not going to happen. Another problem with making the current spot they are working on the "area of work" is that the area of work is the north side of the bridge abutment. There would be no need for a bridge or abutment if they were going around the water. 

The coaster is pretty much going to have to go over WWC at some point if not multiple points. Once you accept that into your planning, it's about making it make sense from a design standpoint.

So how much of the site prep or construction was done before they announced the Banshee coaster?

The majority of the footers were done, and they were ready to go vertical. 

• Like 3

Did you post this previously?  That's almost what I just posted except you go over the water after the drop and I go around the water. I was hoping they would interact with the water somehow, but I was just guessing going by where they are currently setting beams. Wouldn't yours go right over WWC?

This was posted a week or two ago. Others have been posting similar layouts. The problem with going around the water is that it would put the coaster going over/through the train shed. Thats almost certainly not going to happen. Another problem with making the current spot they are working on the "area of work" is that the area of work is the north side of the bridge abutment. There would be no need for a bridge or abutment if they were going around the water. 

The coaster is pretty much going to have to go over WWC at some point if not multiple points. Once you accept that into your planning, it's about making it make sense from a design standpoint.

So how much of the site prep or construction was done before they announced the Banshee coaster?

The majority of the footers were done, and they were ready to go vertical. 

Yeah....I just went and read a lot of the Banshee decoding thread. People were seriously hyped like they are for this one. I doubt this one breaks any records, but I still think it will be awesome.

• Like 4

How certain are you there is a second row? .... Since the plywood would be moved closer to the water every time to keep them out of the way of the workers and equipment it gave the appearance of a second row which I do not believe actually exists.

I believe you are correct after reviewing my pics. I first saw the HOLE signs after they already had been moved off the actual holes, but I assumed they were covering holes. They were pretty consistent about the distance and direction they moved the sheets so it added to the illusion of a second row. One of the pics I took on a later day appeared to have a hole back there so it confirmed that idea in my mind, but reviewing it, it is a trick of the light and terrain.

fb92efe813a68d5fcfac7fe2892b6a6b.jpg

It's hard to see it in this pic, but there is some sort of strange semi-circular structure made from silver tubular metal. Anyone who has seen this in person that can say what that is? Is it some sort of guard for some of the machinery? I've been seeing it in various places since around the time the drill showed up.

4c62b280e52132eefa32ce3a917f4569.jpg

It's laying on its side in the background there.

• Like 9

It's hard to see it in this pic, but there is some sort of strange semi-circular structure made from silver tubular metal. Anyone who has seen this in person that can say what that is? Is it some sort of guard for some of the machinery? I've been seeing it in various places since around the time the drill showed up.

4c62b280e52132eefa32ce3a917f4569.jpg

It's laying on its side in the background there.

The semi-circular structure reminds me of part of a Round Bale Feeder.  Like this; http://www.ruralking.com/tarter-3-piece-red-round-bale-feeder-vlrbf.html?fee=2&fep=25192&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=Cj0KEQjwzZe8BRDguN3cmOr4_dgBEiQAijjVFiR4vv92JJhWOn4395M-pp_TrfWtehYvCCab8zoX-9MaAgY-8P8HAQ

I can't imagine why it would be there, however.  It must be something else.

• Like 3

It very well could be to place around one of the holes that they drill? Also this does appear to be a retaining wall, but what would they be retaining? It doesnt appear to be support for a access road or anything because of how far they are sticking out of the ground. I am beginning to wonder if these supports will be for something going over the train? Tunnel? something to enhance the train experience, also while providing something for the new ride?

• Like 2

...and great theming using the forest.

Or what's left of it after the deforestation.

Really?  From the selective cutting that has been performed so far I would think deforestation is a bit over-the-top.  http://lmgtfy.com/?q=deforestation

If a tree falls in the forest, does the person riding in the front seat care?  :(   http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tree+falls+roller+coaster

• Like 6

Name it "Mutation". Just when you thought Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal was dead, it has actually turned into a whole different kind of ride - a roller coaster.

Ooh. Imagine how cool it would be if they revived Kenton's Cove into the theme or name. Kenton's Cove Lumberjack, anyone?

• Like 3