Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

I don't understand why someone associated with management at KI/CF would tweet something "negative" related to the new expansion??? Re: hating to see the trees go...

A) A hint to new "wood" going in by means of the coaster.

B) A hint towards replanting new trees.

• Like 4

I don't understand why someone associated with management at KI/CF would tweet something "negative" related to the new expansion??? Re: hating to see the trees go...

A) A hint to new "wood" going in by means of the coaster.

B) A hint towards replanting new trees.

• Like 1

I'm still sticking to calling it a tunnel

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It's not a tunnel. The plans refer to the North Abutment. An abutment is the end of a bridge. An engineer wouldn't mistake that term for anything else. Also, if it was a tunnel, it would all be one structure. One big concrete tube. There wouldn't be partial plans of footers. 

• Like 2

It's not a tunnel. The plans refer to the North Abutment. An abutment is the end of a bridge. An engineer wouldn't mistake that term for anything else. Also, if it was a tunnel, it would all be one structure. One big concrete tube. There wouldn't be partial plans of footers.

Not completely true, most railroad tunnels are not lined with concrete. They are normally just dug(loose term) out. Furthermore, a solid long concrete tube would be expensive and like precast we in sections. This structure looks most like a retaining wall nothing more but maybe less. It could be tunnel but I don't think so, however the railroad tracks wouldn't be moved until after the tunnel is done.
  • Like 3

Not completely true, most railroad tunnels are not lined with concrete. They are normally just dug(loose term) out. Furthermore, a solid long concrete tube would be expensive and like precast we in sections. This structure looks most like a retaining wall nothing more but maybe less. It could be tunnel but I don't think so, however the railroad tracks wouldn't be moved until after the tunnel is done.

Yeah, but those are usually through mountains and are solid rock. Since the odds of this thing going down in the ground deep enough to go through bedrock is somewhere around zero, that means it has to go through dirt. And since this is a wet area, it means a concrete tube. It would almost certainly be poured on site like a basement, the roof poured, then buried. That would be easier and cheaper than pre-cast.  Either way, neither the coster, nor the train, are going to go through an underground tunnel. 

• Like 3

I wasn't at the park as long as I usually am, so I only got a couple pics yesterday.

Presumably unrelated, but they're doing something beside the restrooms across from Hank's

55fc5f59c3dd6de5dd96d509c8dace2f.jpg

857874cfb48b56be3d56936f6fd4fa84.jpg

These were in the destruction area beside new WWC queue. Some sort of shipping pallets for equipment maybe? I don't know. It was dark already. Merits a better look later, if they're still there.

• Like 14

I want to ride The Beast with Terp man...at some point. Who wouldn't? The Beast man...with Terp? Sign up now.

I signed. Non homo. Don't care about such things. Justwant Terp by my side for a ride.

Some here have ridden with Terp at KI. Good luck with your Beast ride!

Terpy who I am pretty sure is often around, and every once in a while visible. Even on this site!

• Like 15

I want to ride The Beast with Terp man...at some point. Who wouldn't? The Beast man...with Terp? Sign up now.

I signed. Non homo. Don't care about such things. Justwant Terp by my side for a ride.

Some here have ridden with Terp at KI. Good luck with your Beast ride!

Terpy who I am pretty sure is often around, and every once in a while visible. Even on this site!

If I see you in person and you don't have an amazing cow lick like your photo I'll be upset

In horrible about double posting in sorry

Sent from the future while riding #KIProject2017 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yeah, but those are usually through mountains and are solid rock. Since the odds of this thing going down in the ground deep enough to go through bedrock is somewhere around zero, that means it has to go through dirt. And since this is a wet area, it means a concrete tube. It would almost certainly be poured on site like a basement, the roof poured, then buried. That would be easier and cheaper than pre-cast. Either way, neither the coster, nor the train, are going to go through an underground tunnel.

Should have said that I wasn't refering to full size railroads. Miniature railroads, I know quite afew people that own, build or maintain them.

What purpose dose putting a wall there do. Are they going to move the train tracks? If it's matter of room why don't the just send the coaster over the top of the water. Just curious is all. I'm not saying who is right or who is wrong. Just a tunnel makes sense to me.

• Like 1

What purpose dose putting a wall there do. Are they going to move the train tracks? If it's matter of room why don't the just send the coaster over the top of the water. Just curious is all. I'm not saying who is right or who is wrong. Just a tunnel makes sense to me.

It is a maintenance/construction road.  Why there?  Simple it is a continuation of the existing road which is used for WWC.  Beyond this there is no other access to the area.  One side is the reservoir, one side is the WWC queue which was not built with gates to allow construction traffic, and the third side is the train station.  For this to be something else there will need to be another maintenance road built, which I would love to hear ideas on where it will be located.

Will the train tracks move?  No, they make more sense in the current location and you want to minimize the track crossings.

The coaster will likely be going over the water.  There is not a lot of other options at this point.

The method of construction does not make sense for a tunnel.  The I beams do not have an attachment method for something above them.  As little construction work is done on-site as possible, the beams would already have the holes needed in them.  They are not being placed precisely enough for them to support something above them since they are all slightly different heights.  While the beams are being placed in concrete it is not being done so in a method which can take vertical loads.  Which these are largely the same reasons why these cannot be structural supports for a ride.

Basically it is a wall, it is built too well to be a fence.  It almost has to be a retaining wall.  Which makes sense because you cannot just build a road on a hill because it will have problems with erosion.  The park cannot just dump tons of dirt on the side of the hill because it will turn the water into mud and it would also shrink the reservoir.  

• Like 10

A wood coaster going over the water(and through the woods) and interacting with the train, WWC, and even Diamondback to an extent. Sounds like a heck of a plan. Is this a good thing for WWC? Does it disturb the peacefulness of a wooded canyon raft or will it add to the excitement of that ride?

• Like 4