Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

I'm almost 100% sure. I think if it were to be a GCI we would see supports throughout the entire ride. Not just in the beginning and end. Not to mention that KI rarely builds attractions that aren't cutting edge. RMC is one of the most advanced coaster companies to date and to me, a GCI would be a step back. Barrel rolls and inversions over sections of WWC would be more enticing for coaster enthusiasts than simple bunny hills and the occasional banked turn. The location of this coaster has potential to be one-of-a-kind if they choose RMC.

I imagine walking near the train station and seeing the first drop of this massive wooden coaster. Thats all we will see of it from the rivertown midway. The first drop is like storm chaser with an even bigger barrel roll that sends the riders deep into the woods. It'll disappear into the deep. Kind of a cool visual in my mind. You will have no idea what lurks beyond the first hill and that will create a heightened sense of fear/thrill for the rider. It might be a short ride but its going to pack a punch.

I'm not saying that it's going to be the tallest and fastest but they might pull off the record for most inversions on a wooden coaster. I believe the number to beat is 7 and from the layout I can see at least 8 possible inversions.

• Like 5

I'm not saying that it's going to be the tallest and fastest but they might pull off the record for most inversions on a wooden coaster. I believe the number to beat is 7 and from the layout I can see at least 8 possible inversions.

http://rcdb.com/r.htm?na=&nm=na&pl=&ty=2&order=-24&ot=2

The record is one. The only so-called "wood" coasters with more than one inversion listed by RCDB are RMC products, which are steel and not wood, despite RCDB incorrectly classifying them as wood.

• Like 7

The record is one. The only so-called "wood" coasters with more than one inversion listed by RCDB are RMC products, which are steel and not wood, despite RCDB incorrectly classifying them as wood.

They're wood.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm almost 100% sure. I think if it were to be a GCI we would see supports throughout the entire ride. Not just in the beginning and end. Not to mention that KI rarely builds attractions that aren't cutting edge. RMC is one of the most advanced coaster companies to date and to me, a GCI would be a step back. Barrel rolls and inversions over sections of WWC would be more enticing for coaster enthusiasts than simple bunny hills and the occasional banked turn. The location of this coaster has potential to be one-of-a-kind if they choose RMC.

I imagine walking near the train station and seeing the first drop of this massive wooden coaster. Thats all we will see of it from the rivertown midway. The first drop is like storm chaser with an even bigger barrel roll that sends the riders deep into the woods. It'll disappear into the deep. Kind of a cool visual in my mind. You will have no idea what lurks beyond the first hill and that will create a heightened sense of fear/thrill for the rider. It might be a short ride but its going to pack a punch.

As good as Banshee and Diamondback are they are hardly cutting edge. Remember this is CF KI not Paramount or Taft. Anything cutting edge would happen at CP. I think people are over thinking this. I think it's going to be a nice middle of the road coaster like the plans suggest with some good visual elments. Nothing more. If I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Doesn't really matter outside of a small subset of people that realize that not only that Adventure Express is not a wood coaster, but can also tell and show you why it is not a wood coaster.

At any rate, I'm honestly hoping for 0 inversions as I think KI could benefit from a more family friendly coaster.  The last 3 coaster installations were Firehawk, Diamondback and Banshee; that leaves a lot of families out of the equation for one reason or another.  Overbanked turns, a nice launch experience and some air time would be great.  However, an inverted pass over the WWC Reservoir similar to the pictures that GavPenn has shown would be pretty awesome and a huge selling point.  Personally, I think RMCs often look kind of ugly in spots due to the style of many of their supports, though I've never seen one in person, only in pictures.  I love the look of most B&Ms, hoping no matter what is added that its not only a great ride experience, but a visually attractive addition as well.

• Like 6

Well, KI can use a hybrid coaster. They have the wood thing covered.

If we're going to talk about hybrid coasters, then that's covered as well with Adventure Express.

OK....big size hybrid. Not intermediate hybrid.

• Like 1

Well, KI can use a hybrid coaster. They have the wood thing covered.

KI doesn't have the wood thing covered.  yes, they have 3 very solid woodies, all with very unique experiences, but they have nothing similar to a modern GCI woodie.  A Renegade clone would make my day and is very different from the current KI woodies.

• Like 8

How can you ascertain so much about the supports when they haven't even started on the footings for the actual ride yet?  Also, what prevents GCI from building like that?  Coaster designers change and evolve all the time.  Also, what evidence do you have to go 100% for RMC that has nothing to do with how you view them vs GCI?  Also, why, in detail, is GCI a step back?  It seems you have more against them than just not liking their rides since you and Beast Gal are going out of your way to dismiss them (funny how you're the only 2 to have such a drastic negative opinion of them).  Last I checked, a lot of parks, including a few Cedar Fair parks (you know, the chain KI is a part of), still go to them for new coasters.   And with Viper, they've proven they can build comparable in size to RMC's.  

Even giving you the benefit of the doubt of a RMC, 7-8 inversion? Seriously? Not only because the track layout barely suggests more than 3 (maybe), but after we just got a 7 inversion coaster?  

I'm not saying it won't be an RMC, but I don't think there is such conclusive evidence of either them or GCI yet.  

• Like 8

Can't speak to an RMC, I'd imagine they are smooth just by looking at the steel they ride upon, unless they have a bunch of weird transitions.  Renegade is the one GCI that I've been on, and personally I found it to be very smooth.

I think either one will be a great addition especially with the area they are being installed in. I would like the first hill to be on par with The Beast first hill as far as height. Probably will end up being a bit shorter though.

• Like 3

I'm glad you think so. I also would love an RMC, but all evidence that i've seen thus far points to a GCI. Whatever it is, I'm sure it will be good.

• Like 3

Anybody that has been on an RMC comment on the smoothness of the ride vs GCI?

Lightning Rod is butter smooth kinda like how Thunderhead once was. Still love them both though. I will say the slight give of the wood in the topper track is what keeps me from classifying it as steel. That classification only matters to the manufacturer, the buyer, and those in marketing departments though.
  • Like 5

I agree with you in some case, However... I do believe SOME of their looping coasters can be classified as wood. Specifically their Topper track.

While I am always one to call their coasters Steel roller coasters, their Topper track roller coasters are the ONLY things from them that I believe are wooden roller coasters. As they actually have Wooden track. The only thing steel is the part that the trains are actually riding on, and all wooden roller coasters run the wheels on metal parts, it's just that they happen to make the whole section steel. It makes for less maintenance work, especially for the track. (Although they still do have to watch the pieces of wood under the steel topping) They don't have to keep the ride closed for 4 hours while Maintenance has to repair a section of track. Which is my assumption as to why The Beast is usually closed in the mornings. 

Other than that, yes. RMC classifies steel roller coasters as Wooden ones. The supports do not classify the type of ride it is, the railings it self classify the ride. Other wise, Adventure Express should be a wooden roller coaster....

• Like 2