Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

All I am saying is one day Cedar Fair will need to do something to bring people back in after they build all the cookie cutter B&M's.... haha ok Back to topic.

So about this new coaster at KI. Its been a while for a new woodie in OHIO. Would be neat for a RMC but GCI would fit this area and terrain.

Most people have no idea who manufactures are haha 

• Like 4

Some folks ain't paid much attention around here, I guess.

The Intamin problems have been pretty well documented around here. More than once.

Forget about it. Move on. Ain't happening. Where's the dead horse pics when you need them. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Hmmm odd. It's too bad that Cedar Points most popular coasters are Intamin. I mean they only make the best coasters on earth. I mean Maverick does not have any downtime. Did they need to replace a piece of track sure. But after that.......nothing. MForce never down. Then there is TTD, Yes it is down sometimes but that thing is a MONSTER. I would assume it would be down with how big that thing is and how much power it pushes out. I understand you like your cookie cutter b&m's ......o well. One day Cedar Fair will learn and use Intamin again when people start getting bored with cookie cutters......Moving on after my rant. lol So how about renovating drop zone with seats like Falcon's Fury at Busch Gardens Tampa haha

Maverick has frequent break downs, almost daily.  It recently stalled in the middle of the course causing the ride to be evacuated.   MF has had several long downtime sections due to the elevator lift.  TTD in addition to breaking down daily, has had a cable explode and cut people's faces, had the theming fall off while the ride was running, and struggles to run all 6 trains it was designed to run.

I agree these rides are great, but reliable and safe as they need to be, they are not.

That's not even scratching the surface of the issues with Shoot the Rapids, which they are lucky didn't kill anyone, and the issues Intamin has had with it's restraints.

I am sorry...I have a season pass to Cedar Point and I for 1. Never see Maverick down unless it is raining. 2. Never MForce down. TTD  is understandable. As I said before that thing is unlike anything else. It is a monster and is so powerful it has a right to be down. I will say I haven't gone there and not been  on all three more then once a day. Just saying maybe try going more then one day a year! B&M may be more reliable but they are just boring at times. They are the coasters you go to a park and ride one time a day and say yeaaaah I rode that once. But you ride Maverick / Mforce 2 or 3 times! Yes, B&M are never down but they are not as fun/ thrilling.

Problem is, most families only go once a year.  If that happens to be the day the ride is shut down, then it reflects negatively on the park. If those days start to stack up, it builds a reputation.  Throw on top of it the constant construction delays that still are associated w/ Intamin as well as the Shoot the Rapid instance its no coincidence that Intamin has not built a coaster in North America for 4-5 years.  Its not just Cedar Fair that doesn't trust, its many in the industry.

TTD may be a monster, but that is a poor excuse for daily shut downs.  I highly doubt that is what CF intended when the ride was purchased.

• Like 8

I know that Cedar Fair has a relationship with GCI but with the hints of barrel rolls, a steal structure, and wood related clues... I am guessing its a Gravity Group hybrid coaster. It would have to hurt GG to not win a contract for a new ride for the park that is almost within walking distance to their headquarters. So put me down as #GG4KI2017!

• Like 3

I'm sure a fun, reliable coaster will bring people in more than one with copious amounts of downtime. And it won't try to murder anyone.

Remember, enthusiasts are the only people who care about who manufactures a ride. And we make up less than 1% of the theme park's patrons.

[EDIT] And I'm not saying I think this will go upside down, but millennium flyers are capable of handling inversions.

• Like 7

The Intamin problems have been pretty well documented around here. More than once.

Forget about it. Move on. Ain't happening. Where's the dead horse pics when you need them. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Hmmm odd. It's too bad that Cedar Points most popular coasters are Intamin. I mean they only make the best coasters on earth. I mean Maverick does not have any downtime. Did they need to replace a piece of track sure. But after that.......nothing. MForce never down. Then there is TTD, Yes it is down sometimes but that thing is a MONSTER. I would assume it would be down with how big that thing is and how much power it pushes out. I understand you like your cookie cutter b&m's ......o well. One day Cedar Fair will learn and use Intamin again when people start getting bored with cookie cutters......Moving on after my rant. lol So how about renovating drop zone with seats like Falcon's Fury at Busch Gardens Tampa haha

Maverick has frequent break downs, almost daily.  It recently stalled in the middle of the course causing the ride to be evacuated.   MF has had several long downtime sections due to the elevator lift.  TTD in addition to breaking down daily, has had a cable explode and cut people's faces, had the theming fall off while the ride was running, and struggles to run all 6 trains it was designed to run.

I agree these rides are great, but reliable and safe as they need to be, they are not.

That's not even scratching the surface of the issues with Shoot the Rapids, which they are lucky didn't kill anyone, and the issues Intamin has had with it's restraints.

I am sorry...I have a season pass to Cedar Point and I for 1. Never see Maverick down unless it is raining. 2. Never MForce down. TTD  is understandable. As I said before that thing is unlike anything else. It is a monster and is so powerful it has a right to be down. I will say I haven't gone there and not been  on all three more then once a day. Just saying maybe try going more then one day a year! B&M may be more reliable but they are just boring at times. They are the coasters you go to a park and ride one time a day and say yeaaaah I rode that once. But you ride Maverick / Mforce 2 or 3 times! Yes, B&M are never down but they are not as fun/ thrilling.

Problem is, most families only go once a year.  If that happens to be the day the ride is shut down, then it reflects negatively on the park. If those days start to stack up, it builds a reputation.  Throw on top of it the constant construction delays that still are associated w/ Intamin as well as the Shoot the Rapid instance its no coincidence that Intamin has not built a coaster in North America for 4-5 years.  Its not just Cedar Fair that doesn't trust, its many in the industry.

TTD may be a monster, but that is a poor excuse for daily shut downs.  I highly doubt that is what CF intended when the ride was purchased.

I get on TTD every time I visit and more then once......So I do not see the points of it being down? If it down it may be 20 minutes? I still get on it about 2 or 3 times every time I go to the park.

Anyway.....we were trying to get back on topic here......

Even tho The Man told me it isn't a clue, when I realized today I could get a pic of the infamous TINMAN without going into restricted areas, I just HAD to!

dc463c34894db1ff1ad2028ebbd01cdd.jpg

Tinman = Intamin?? haha j/k

Can we move on from the Intamin hate and get back on track here!! We are all going to love something else and that is what is great about living in OHIO....we have it all. All but an RMC / GCI.....

• Like 6

Ok.... I'm going to make some guesses on stats for this "coaster"

Statistics

Length: 2,100 ft

Height: 64 ft

Drop: 60 ft

Inversions: 0

Speed: 45 mph

Duration: 1:30

I am not guessing this is going to be a huge coaster, but your guess seems awfully small.

Stats

Length: 2,500ft

Height: 100ft

Drop: 70ft

Inversions: 2 (Two barrel rolls over the lake)

Speed: 45 mph

Duration:  2:00 min

Manufacturer: Gravity Group

• Like 6

All I am saying is one day Cedar Fair will need to do something to bring people back in after they build all the cookie cutter B&M's.... haha ok Back to topic.

You do know that these "cookie cutter B&M's" are bringing in people, not chasing them away? The general, non-enthusiast public loves these "cookie cutter B&M's" and setting revenue records with the company. Well, that and Ouimets new business strategy, which focuses on on the best day possible, tries to stay away from rides from a company that almost killed an entire boat full of guests. A company that had to replace sections of track on not one, but two, 20+ million dollar coaster.

And all of this information has been commonly known and has been repeated on this and other sites multiple times, almost to a point where it's just a pointless argument. In the end, Cedar Fair doesn't care about the 0.01%, just the general 99.9% will give guests the "best day" and set a good reputation for the parks that'll make visitors come back to spend more money. B&M satisfies the company from a guest and company standpoint.

Sorry for this boring, cliché, and mostly unrelated post to the topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 13

I see Mav suffering from quite a lot of downtime lately...

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Like 3

You do know that these "cookie cutter B&M's" are bringing in people, not chasing them away? The general, non-enthusiast public loves these "cookie cutter B&M's" and setting revenue records with the company. Well, that and Ouimets new business strategy, which focuses on on the best day possible, tries to stay away from rides from a company that almost killed an entire boat full of guests. A company that had to replace sections of track on not one, but two, 20+ million dollar coaster.

And all of this information has been commonly known and has been repeated on this and other sites multiple times, almost to a point where it's just a pointless argument. In the end, Cedar Fair doesn't care about the 0.01%, just the general 99.9% will give guests the "best day" and set a good reputation for the parks that'll make visitors come back to spend more money. B&M satisfies the company from a guest and company standpoint.

Nice avatar. There are at least two RUSH fans on this board. My avatar looks like the Roll The Bones skeleton, but it's actually a little drummer figurine I bought in a shop on International Street, King's Island. (without Santa hat!)

• Like 2

I'm leaning toward Gravity Group. Especially considering their trains are called Timberliners.

Seems to fit with the clues.

I would actually love to see a Gravity Group woodie. Their coasters are complete airtime machines, even the smaller models (see Wooden Warrior and Roar-O-Saurus.) They have made some very cool looking themed trains, and seeing a train themed like a pickup truck would be awesome. I see no reason why CF wouldn't work with GG, they worked with CCI in the past plenty. Some argue that GG coasters are high maintenance, but when you have a woodie that's very fast and twisty running PTCs... that's gonna happen. Those trains aren't meant for rides like that, thus the ride gets rough and they tear up the track. This is why Millennium Flyers are considered so smooth in comparison. They are designed for track like that, whereas PTCs are designed more for traditional out and back woodies. Imagine Thunderhead with PTCs...

• Like 4

Gravity Group built the Voyage at Holiday World. By all accounts one of the best wood coasters in the world. That wouldn't be a bad thing. This POV looks insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFLtHwWS6eM

My #1 woodie. Extremely intense and aggressive, but in a good way. However, there's a few here who aren't a fan.

• Like 10

Gravity Group built the Voyage at Holiday World. By all accounts one of the best wood coasters in the world. That wouldn't be a bad thing. This POV looks insane.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFLtHwWS6eM

My #1 woodie. Extremely intense and aggressive, but in a good way. However, there's a few here who aren't a fan.

*Cough Cough* Terp *Cough*

I'm gonna throw my hat into the statistics guessing game.

Height: 120 or so feet

Speed: 50+ MPH

• Like 9

They are running out of B&M's to build.......

Anyway....These stats I am seeing seem kinda slow / little. I mean I am not expecting tallest and fastest woodie but maybe close to it? I would like to see a RMC someday!

Gravity Group built the Voyage at Holiday World. By all accounts one of the best wood coasters in the world. That wouldn't be a bad thing. This POV looks insane.

Not a fan from what perspective? That is truly a coaster that has everything. I only ask because I've never ridden it, but airtime, tunnels, height, speed, turns, length.....it has it all.

• Like 3

^^^

not really.  Beastie is probably half that size both in length and height.  Though I do agree it will be a little bigger/longer than that

Height: 98 feet (if w/ traditional chain lift)

64 feet (if launched)

Length: 3,214 feet

Speed: 52 MPH (if traditional chain lift)

64 MPH (if launched)

Duration: 2:12

• Like 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFLtHwWS6eM

Not a fan from what perspective? That is truly a coaster that has everything. I only ask because I've never ridden it, but airtime, tunnels, height, speed, turns, length.....it has it all.

Take that up with Terp!!

• Like 3

a ride doesn't have to be over 100' to be great.  GCI has several coasters that are just over or under the 100 foot mark.  The only one I've ridden was roughly 95 feet (Renegade) and it was awesome.

Gravity Group also has several coasters in the 100 foot or less department that get rave(n) reviews.

• Like 8

a ride doesn't have to be over 100' to be great. GCI has several coasters that are just over or under the 100 foot mark. The only one I've ridden was roughly 95 feet (Renegade) and it was awesome.

See also Cornball Express. 55' tall and fantastic airtime and laterals

• Like 6

This coaster would likely need to run 3 trains to keep up with KI's lines, it wouldn't be very beneficial to add something small that can only run 1-2 trains. Look at FOF and Firehawk wait times in comparison to Diamondback, Banshee, etc. Smaller rides, and longer lined.

• Like 8

I just got back from a two day trip to Holiday World and Kentucky Kingdom. Raven, The Legend, and Voyage are all three amazing coasters. The re-tracking on Legend is amazing and so smooth along with the additional  head chopping elements added that are on point. I personally would be thrilled if Kings Island got anything remotely like these three... speed, good drops, quick turns, air time, over banked turns.... all while secluded in the woods. Trees are abounding around thee three wooden coasters. Voayage is one amazing ride, I got off thinking, "what is the heck did I just experience." Just when you think the ride is over after some mid course breaks, you dive back down into a tunnel, and the last half of the ride is just as great as the first. It packs a punch from the first drop all the way back to the station. 

I rode Storm Chaser at Kentucky Kingdom and while it was decent, I just wasn't that impressed. I am hoping for  GCI or The Gravity group to come and build a one of a kind thrill buried deep in the woods of River Town. 

• Like 5

I'm going to have to agree with this one. Now, my family is about to expand where I have four kids in all. I like what Ouimet is doing by focusing on the best day experience. My last trip was about making a great day, no matter what coasters we rode and how many times. I spent more money this year than I ever have. Bought a souvenir and just spent more in general in the park playing games. CF was smart in shifting their focus on families. We do spend more money in the park than just coaster enthusiasts.

• Like 4