Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

I just got back from a two day trip to Holiday World and Kentucky Kingdom. Raven, The Legend, and Voyage are all three amazing coasters. The re-tracking on Legend is amazing and so smooth along with the additional head chopping elements added that are on point. I personally would be thrilled if Kings Island got anything remotely like these three... speed, good drops, quick turns, air time, over banked turns.... all while secluded in the woods. Trees are abounding around thee three wooden coasters. Voayage is one amazing ride, I got off thinking, "what is the heck did I just experience." Just when you think the ride is over after some mid course breaks, you dive back down into a tunnel, and the last half of the ride is just as great as the first. It packs a punch from the first drop all the way back to the station.

I rode Storm Chaser at Kentucky Kingdom and while it was decent, I just wasn't that impressed. I am hoping to GCI or the The Gravity group to come and build a one of a kind thrill buried deep in the woods of River Town.

Voyage is the only coaster that has me gasping for air and leaves my heart racing when it hits the final brake run. That's why I love it.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Like 9

All I am saying is one day Cedar Fair will need to do something to bring people back in after they build all the cookie cutter B&M's.... haha ok Back to topic.

You do know that these "cookie cutter B&M's" are bringing in people, not chasing them away? The general, non-enthusiast public loves these "cookie cutter B&M's" and setting revenue records with the company. Well, that and Ouimets new business strategy, which focuses on on the best day possible, tries to stay away from rides from a company that almost killed an entire boat full of guests. A company that had to replace sections of track on not one, but two, 20+ million dollar coaster.

And all of this information has been commonly known and has been repeated on this and other sites multiple times, almost to a point where it's just a pointless argument. In the end, Cedar Fair doesn't care about the 0.01%, just the general 99.9% will give guests the "best day" and set a good reputation for the parks that'll make visitors come back to spend more money. B&M satisfies the company from a guest and company standpoint.

Sorry for this boring, cliché, and mostly unrelated post to the topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to have to agree with this one. Now, my family is about to expand where I have four kids in all. I like what Ouimet is doing by focusing on the best day experience. My last trip was about making a great day, no matter what coasters we rode and how many times. I spent more money this year than I ever have. Bought a souvenir and just spent more in general in the park playing games. CF was smart in shifting their focus on families. We do spend more money in the park than just coaster enthusiasts.

I miss the days of Coaster Wars. Oh well. It is an argument that will last forever and no side will be right. Its an opinion and always will be!

• Like 5

Ok.... I'm going to make some guesses on stats for this "coaster"

Statistics

Length: 2,100 ft

Height: 64 ft

Drop: 60 ft

Inversions: 0

Speed: 45 mph

Duration: 1:30

Ok due to popular opinion ;);) I'm revising my stats

Statistics

Length: 2,400 ft

Height: 115 ft

Drop: 85 ft

Speed: 56 mph

Duration: 2:10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Believe me, back in an earlier time, I was and still am to a degree a coaster enthusiast. I love the thrill and I did kinda dug the coaster wars myself.  I also agree that neither side is really right. But when you get down to dollars and bottom line, families spend more and if you want your company to grow, that is really where it's at. CF has recognized that. I'm not advocating what is right or wrong, I'm saying they recognize that families spend more.

• Like 4

I just got back from a two day trip to Holiday World and Kentucky Kingdom. Raven, The Legend, and Voyage are all three amazing coasters. The re-tracking on Legend is amazing and so smooth along with the additional head chopping elements added that are on point. I personally would be thrilled if Kings Island got anything remotely like these three... speed, good drops, quick turns, air time, over banked turns.... all while secluded in the woods. Trees are abounding around thee three wooden coasters. Voayage is one amazing ride, I got off thinking, "what is the heck did I just experience." Just when you think the ride is over after some mid course breaks, you dive back down into a tunnel, and the last half of the ride is just as great as the first. It packs a punch from the first drop all the way back to the station.

I rode Storm Chaser at Kentucky Kingdom and while it was decent, I just wasn't that impressed. I am hoping to GCI or the The Gravity group to come and build a one of a kind thrill buried deep in the woods of River Town.

Voyage is the only coaster that has me gasping for air and leaves my heart racing when it hits the final brake run. That's why I love it.

I completely agree about Voyage! I got to the final breaks and my eyes were watering as I was gasping for air! This proof that a Wooden Coaster, or Hybrid Wooden Coaster does not need inversions to be a great coaster! 

• Like 10

Hmmm odd. It's too bad that Cedar Points most popular coasters are Intamin. I mean they only make the best coasters on earth. I mean Maverick does not have any downtime. Did they need to replace a piece of track sure. But after that.......nothing. MForce never down. Then there is TTD, Yes it is down sometimes but that thing is a MONSTER. I would assume it would be down with how big that thing is and how much power it pushes out. I understand you like your cookie cutter b&m's ......o well. One day Cedar Fair will learn and use Intamin again when people start getting bored with cookie cutters......Moving on after my rant. lol So how about renovating drop zone with seats like Falcon's Fury at Busch Gardens Tampa haha

I guess I do learn darnest things here.  Maverick does not have any down time.. :)

Maverick has more than enough share of its down time.  MF had cable lift snapped more than a few times.  TTD down time has been well documented.  Dick Kinzel said that was the worst investment.  Maverick and Intimidator 305 had to be modified.  Volcano is down more than any rides at KD.  Maverick and Intimidator 305 restraint systems had to be replaced.  Intimidator 305 wheels had to be changed so much due to overheating and had to be chilled with water spray for the entire first year.  Shoot the Rapid!!!  So on....

Don't get me wrong.  I love Intamin rides.  My favorite steel and wooden coaster are Intamin.  I ride Drop Tower more than just about anyone (9908 and counting).  That does not mean Intamin rides are good investments for the park.  KI has quite a few Intamin rides already including one of KI's most iconic attraction.  

• Like 15

Hmmm odd. It's too bad that Cedar Points most popular coasters are Intamin. I mean they only make the best coasters on earth. I mean Maverick does not have any downtime. Did they need to replace a piece of track sure. But after that.......nothing. MForce never down. Then there is TTD, Yes it is down sometimes but that thing is a MONSTER. I would assume it would be down with how big that thing is and how much power it pushes out. I understand you like your cookie cutter b&m's ......o well. One day Cedar Fair will learn and use Intamin again when people start getting bored with cookie cutters......Moving on after my rant. lol So how about renovating drop zone with seats like Falcon's Fury at Busch Gardens Tampa haha

I guess I do learn darnest things here.  Maverick does not have any down time.. :)

Maverick has more than enough share of its down time.  MF had cable lift snapped more than a few times.  TTD down time has been well documented.  Dick Kinzel said that was the worst investment.  Maverick and Intimidator 305 had to be modified.  Volcano is down more than any rides at KD.  Maverick and Intimidator 305 restraint systems had to be replaced.  Intimidator 305 wheels had to be changed so much due to overheating and had to be chilled with water spray for the entire first year.  Shoot the Rapid!!!  So on....

Don't get me wrong.  I love Intamin rides.  My favorite steel and wooden coaster are Intamin.  I ride Drop Tower more than just about anyone (9908 and counting).  That does not mean Intamin rides are good investments for the park.  KI has quite a few Intamin rides already including one of KI's most iconic attraction.  

Like I said its a matter of opinion! So need there not be any more debates on the topic at this time! I must be the lucky one who never goes on days the Intamins are down or have a downtime. ** Shrugs shoulders** Oh well. 

This is going to have something unique, i dont see them teasing, and having a big announcement for a small "beastie" size coaster.

Maybe it will be a fully emersive coaster in some way. VR optional or something. No one has explained or guessed what the "zones" on the blue print are....

Zone 1a

Zone 1b

Zone 1c

Zone 2

Zone 3

They have to mean something if they are on the blueprints right?

• Like 2

So if this is an intermediate/ transition type coaster, is there anybody here that thinks KI actually needs one? I don't. I look at Adventure Express, Racer, Backlot Stunt Coaster as transition coasters. They need more flat rides and dark rides, but a transition coaster they do not need. A big, unique, wooden modern coaster they do need.

• Like 9

So if this is an intermediate/ transition type coaster, is there anybody here that thinks KI actually needs one? I don't. I look at Adventure Express, Racer, Backlot Stunt Coaster as transition coasters. They need more flat rides and dark rides, but a transition coaster they do not need. A big, unique, wooden modern coaster they do need.

I agree. I do not think they would hype up a tiny little thing. They could actually remove Backlot Stunt Coaster and I would ok with that. haha

• Like 5

MFG: GCI

Length: 3200 ft.

Height: 115 ft 

Drop: 100 ft

Speed: 55 mph

Overbanked corners: 2

i think your fairly close here. this is my guess:

Height: 122 Ft

drop: 118 Ft

Speed: 58 Mph

Inversions: 1

overbanks : 2

ride time: 2:21

Track length: 3,088 Ft

Manufacturer: GG

• Like 4

I agree. I do not think they would hype up a tiny little thing. They could actually remove Backlot Stunt Coaster and I would ok with that. haha

If they did take out Backlot, I wonder if there is enough room there to bring back the antique cars?

• Like 4

If they did take out Backlot, I wonder if there is enough room there to bring back the antique cars?

Oh, I am sure! maybe even put a flat on that site as well. Maybe a new type of flat that no one else has? I am very surprised there is not a 'Skyhawk" at KI. I know that CP has had problems with it but how they put a WindSeeker at every park I thought KI may be getting a Skyhawk at some point. I doubt they will since it has problems at the point. I would like if they took Backlot out and brought the cars back with a Flat right in the middle!

Backlot is taking up a spot on a nice sized piece of land where you could fit a couple different things on it. Cars / Flats

• Like 3

I don't see the Backlot Stunt Coaster being removed. Good intermediate coaster and I see a line all the time. Every coaster can't be 200ft and over. KI is trying to provide a wide variety of coasters and rides. Some extreme, some not so extreme. 

• Like 13

I see the 6 and 4 but I don't see the 198... Hmmm... Height and speed? (too big for the area cleared.) Maybe 98 feet tall but the speed wouldn't reach 64 mph from that height. I'm stumped.... :P

It could be a 98...or maybe 158...or maybe nothing at all. haha.  It could just be the way it appears on my computer screen.  Since the 6 and 4 are vertical, maybe they're references to certain elements of the ride instead of the speed?

If I'm remembering correctly I think at one point a copy of The Wildcat from Coney Island was slated to be built where The Beast stands today (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I think it'd be a nice throwback to use that name for the new coaster. Granted, it doesn't really fit the Rivertown theme... But I guess that means it would fit perfectly.

You could potentially be onto something here.  The model of a vintage truck hauling logs, which was sent to the local media, looks like a 1965 pickup, which is the year Wildcat was removed from Coney Island.  Next year is KI's 45th anniversary, and maybe the model truck teaser is a way of saying they're bringing back an old wood coaster name - Wildcat - except they're building an updated version...?  (Wildcat was also right next to the Ohio River at CI, so it would fit in with Rivertown quite easily.)  It would be a way of resurrecting the coaster and making the vision you speak of come true.

• Like 8

I don't see the Backlot Stunt Coaster being removed. Good intermediate coaster and I see a line all the time. Every coaster can't be 200ft and over. KI is trying to provide a wide variety of coasters and rides. Some extreme, some not so extreme. 

We are not saying they will remove it. I think it should be moved to be honest. The spot it is in is taking up a chunk of land where they can put a couple different things. There is a big area of grass on the back side just sitting there. Not saying you do not want any grassy spots but this area could be used. Move back stunt coaster over by x flight I mean Firehawk and but the cars back on the old site and bring in a big flat.

• Like 2

Moving BSC could be useful. It's kind of poorly placed, right smack in the middle of that area with a bit of room on each side. It would be nice to see a flat across from it (behind DB near Cornerstone) but I know that area is often used for special events. It's just very bare and would be a great location for a large flat as the ground there is very flat.

• Like 5