Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

KI is hyping the coaster big time, there is not way it could be that thing!

Are they, though? Really, they just put posters up in the park and made a couple of ominous posts on social media about Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown. The park didn't really get hypey at all until the last week or so--namely, right after that "field of dreams" tweet. Literally every other bit of hype has been enthusiast-driven. Which is fine! It's great to have fun getting excited together about what the park might have up its sleeve. That's, like, one of the bigger things that brings this community together. I'm just trying to offer some help in preventing anticipointment. There were people around here who were disappointed that WindSeeker was not a gigacoaster in Coney Mall--and there were literally zero hints that anything was coming until the park said they would be announcing something that week.

Banshee had a specific number of owls hidden in trees, scarecrows hiding behind holes in the fence, multiple "field of dreams" tweets/other posts on social media, and so on. As I see it, this teaser campaign has been somewhat less energetic. Like you said, Beast Gal, a huge hint-dropping to-do would be disappointing if it just ended in a 100' tall coaster... But has this campaign actually been about dropping hints around every turn? And if the answer to that is "no," is a GCI really out of the question?

I'd also like to submit, having ridden several GCI's, that GCI can do more with 100 feet of height than some other companies can do with 306*. If you haven't ridden a GCI, I wouldn't be so quick to be disappointed if that's what our coaster turns out to be. Thunderhead tends to be pretty well liked around these parts by those who have ridden it, and, in my opinion, it's not even GCI's best coaster.

*Not a typo.

• Like 15

That's an awful lot of Pyro-Guard Exterior Fire-X by Hoover

352904ec7a1e805b115baf630ce49887.jpg

d8d355f0d1c26ccdfe06715db557085f.jpg

Whatever that is.

(The unused station seems to have found new use)

It definitely has to be an RMC, how many have caught fire during construction? Maybe they are preparing. Lol

Sent from my iOS 10 device

Is this standard wood used for coaster construction ?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

It will be taller then 100ft. Just dunno by how much.

If it is GCI, it won't be by much. I just looked at all the coasters they have built and they never go above about 103 or so. A lot of their coasters are only around 85 even.   Doesn't mean it couldn't be good, but I would prefer more of a monster first hill. Something in the 150 range would be awesome. Unless GCI changes their ways, I don't see that from them.

• Like 4

If it is GCI, it won't be by much. I just looked at all the coasters they have built and they never go above about 103 or so. Doesn't mean it couldn't be good, but I would prefer more of a monster first hill. Something in the 150 range would be awesome. Unless GCI changes their ways, I don't see that from them.

See Viper. 160ft tall, 5,111 ft long.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Like 5

If it is GCI, it won't be by much. I just looked at all the coasters they have built and they never go above about 103 or so. Doesn't mean it couldn't be good, but I would prefer more of a monster first hill. Something in the 150 range would be awesome. Unless GCI changes their ways, I don't see that from them.

17f4bc2e49.jpeg

Guess I overlooked that one. Thanks!  That must be the exception to the rule though.

• Like 4

Guess I overlooked that one. Thanks! That must be the exception to the rule though.

Yeah, it's a new coaster. They seem to be getting a bit more experimental. With the recent popularity of RMC, I guess GCI has decided they need to step out of their comfort zone to stay competitive.

• Like 2

I know people love The Racers. Would anyone be against an RMC conversion with those? lol

The Racer revived the roller coaster industry in the 70's. It has a very important place in coaster history and untouchable IMO.

But Cedar Fair removed the racing coaster at my park. So I certainly wouldn't put it past them....

I am sure they will never do anything with those. Just a conversation piece. As for that chunk of land. The last 2 grand plaza's were because they made a front entrance and a marina entrance. This coaster doesn't have an entrance near it. I wouldn't be so sure about the " grand plaza " treatment with this coaster. I can tell they may not need the little sun block things over the lines because they could be in shade from trees. I hope this is a ground hugger like Maverick. Flying through the woods ground level twisting and turning and driving through tunnels would be awesome! No...not saying Intamin. Anything with a big drop going fast  and down through tunnels. Man I am excited! haha  

You are forgetting a grand plaza near Fury 325 and Banshee. Gatekeeper is the only one at Cedar Point that has a "grand plaza" and the plaza is not necessarily near the entrance. Valravn just happens to be placed over the Marina Gate that needed redone for several years. 

• Like 4

Even though this is a fan created model on No limits 2 he follows the plans we have so I think this is something like we are getting

Hey that's mine! Lol. Thanks for the shoutout!

Since we're throwing out stat predictions, here's what they are for that concept coaster.

105 feet

Approx. 3000 feet long

51 mph

About 1:45

The ride features 15 airtime moments. I looked closely at the bent spacing in the plans to determine where the hills would be. Personally, I love GCI coasters, and I would be ecstatic if this is what we're getting!

• Like 12

Where is Apocalypse located at?

Magic Mountain.

(Sorry for double post, I suck at editing)

Great GCI coaster but not quite as good as Thunderhead for me.  Thunderhead is my favorite GCI by a long shot.  

Not likely but Intamin woodies are my favorites.  I have only been on El Toro and T-Express which are 1st and 3rd on my wooden coaster list.

• Like 5

Even though this is a fan created model on No limits 2 he follows the plans we have so I think this is something like we are getting

Hey that's mine! Lol. Thanks for the shoutout!

Since we're throwing out stat predictions, here's what they are for that concept coaster.

105 feet

Approx. 3000 feet long

51 mph

About 1:45

The ride features 15 airtime moments. I looked closely at the bent spacing in the plans to determine where the hills would be. Personally, I love GCI coasters, and I would be ecstatic if this is what we're getting!

https://youtu.be/0JHsr-l9aKU

Sorry I didn't give a name to it. But awesome job man. I like how you added DB next to it.

• Like 4

17f4bc2e49.jpeg

Guess I overlooked that one. Thanks!  That must be the exception to the rule though.

Not the only exception. See Wodan Timbur Coaster at Europa Park and Wood Coaster at Knight Valley.

http://rcdb.com/10018.htm

http://rcdb.com/9039.htm

• Like 4

17f4bc2e49.jpeg

Not the only exception. See Wodan Timbur Coaster at Europa Park and Wood Coaster at Knight Valley.

http://rcdb.com/10018.htm

http://rcdb.com/9039.htm

So they only build tall coasters in other countries. haha!

• Like 3

Sorry, gotta roll my eyes about "very little going on in here". A /lot/ has been going on and being ignored to discuss random crap instead, from my point of view. Confirmed its a retaining wall, and lumber most likely for the coaster has arrived.

There's plenty going on /here/, at the park, and I'm doing my best to share it with everyone.

And I think you've done an excellent job.

I'd have to say you've done the most foot work of all the decoding.

Kudos. :)

• Like 13