Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

Getting excited about the upcoming announcement  :D

I know this topic is getting a bit lengthy, so to help-out those trying to come up to speed...some things that we know:

1. Something new is coming in 2017!

2. WWC path was moved, Funnel Cake stand was moved, fence built, all indications imply for this project.

3. What started out as selective tree cutting has turned into a major effort in the woods around the train and WWC.  This is not a complete land clearing, attempts appear to be made keeping as much vegetation as possible.

4. Plans were filed with local government indicating footer and various pad designs for a specific "area of work" for this project.  The project overview in these plans also show this to be a roller-coaster of some sort.  We do not have the full plans of the design.  Leading to many various discussions on the type of coaster (manufacturer, etc).

5. Based upon the plans, with the KI coordinates, many have generated various coaster layouts and posted to this forum.

6. In interviews, KI has not denied implications of a roller-coaster when referring to this project.

7. In the plans there is verbiage indicating a bridge/span of some sort.

8. Work was done to create a retaining wall alongside the train tracks, next to the pond.  

9. Various paths have been created for heavy machinery, temporary movable wooden protectors over the new WWC path, etc.  All implying further large construction work.

10. Based upon clearings, plans, hints, it does appear this coaster interacts with WWC, the pond, and the train.

11. Common theme from KI regarding trees, logs, woods, etc.

12. Unused train station grassy area has been converted to a gravel staging area.

13. Large bundles of what appears to be exterior fire retardant treated wood has shown up.

I'd love for others to elaborate more on the 'knowns' of this project, I'm sure I don't have it all covered.

• Like 18

CGI

Think: Prowler with some nice elements over the water and through the woods.

Theming will be solid.

Will be a win for KI.

yw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is exactly what I hope they do. Preserve as many trees as possible for that "flying through the forest" kind of feeling one gets when riding The Beast. I think a GCI woodie would fit perfectly in rivertown. And it doesn't need to be taller than The Beast, in fact I'd prefer if it wasn't.

I'm thinking 100' tall, zero inversions. Is it Thursday yet?

• Like 5

That's an awful lot of Pyro-Guard Exterior Fire-X by Hoover352904ec7a1e805b115baf630ce49887.jpgd8d355f0d1c26ccdfe06715db557085f.jpg

Whatever that is.

(The unused station seems to have found new use)

according to Hoover http://frtw.com/?q=exteriorfirex Shows the specs and uses of this wood. Rollercoasters is not in the list for uses, not all wood makes good use for coaster construction, but certainly could be used for other things that will be apart of project 2k17.
  • Like 4

^^  Seems to be both.

Agreed.  Not sure if I the pictures in this thread or others, but the vines are already growing up the sides nicely.

Perhaps it is for protection of a future attraction too?  I'm just happy it is returning, along with several other nostalgic elements in the park.

• Like 6

^^  Seems to be both.

Agreed.  Not sure if I the pictures in this thread or others, but the vines are already growing up the sides nicely.

Perhaps it is for protection of a future attraction too?  I'm just happy it is returning, along with several other nostalgic elements in the park.

What all else is returning ?? I love the old Kings Island! Flying Dutchmen? Phantom is making a return? I wish!

• Like 1

That's an awful lot of Pyro-Guard Exterior Fire-X by Hoover <picture snipped>

Whatever that is.

(The unused station seems to have found new use)

according to Hoover http://frtw.com/?q=exteriorfirex Shows the specs and uses of this wood. Rollercoasters is not in the list for uses, not all wood makes good use for coaster construction, but certainly could be used for other things that will be apart of project 2k17.

Can we not quote pictures please  ;)

We would really need a clear picture of the green tags to tell the exact specs for the lumber bundle.  Using the wrapping logo solely to determine the appropriate usage is a bit of a stretch.  The product line in general meets a wide range of standards listed from AWPA, NFPA, UL, DOD Mil spec, etc.  This isn't your home-store grade lumber.

• Like 5

Yeah, when I was there yesterday the table thing was missing (or moved elsewhere) but I forgot to mention it. I'm a little disappointed I never got to see it in use because I'm still curious what it was for.

What is this table thing we are speaking of?

I for one hope that silver2005 doesn't drop out of this conversation. He is a very knowledgeable poster. I only called him out because I thought he was a bit overbearing. Maybe a lot of us were. We're all here for the same thing......because we are excited for the new project. Carry on :)

• Like 10

I for one hope that silver2005 doesn't drop out of this conversation. He is a very knowledgeable poster. I only called him out because I thought he was a bit overbearing. Maybe a lot of us were. We're all here for the same thing......because we are excited for the new project. Carry on :)

Cooler heads have prevailed! I am excited to talk about this project!

• Like 4

It must have gotten lost in a flood of nonsense. A metal table Greg Scheid tweeted a pic of, that turned out to have a tall rail attached to it. If you go back through the thread you'll eventually see the discussion.

Hey guys. I was around while Banshee was being constructed. Ever since I've just been lurking and have shared a couple videos with the KIC Twitter. Anyway, the table he was referring to was a blueprint table. Here's a photo of them at it. Sorry for the poor quality/shot.

sUciKbi.jpg

• Like 9

It must have gotten lost in a flood of nonsense. A metal table Greg Scheid tweeted a pic of, that turned out to have a tall rail attached to it. If you go back through the thread you'll eventually see the discussion.

Hey guys. I was around while Banshee was being constructed. Ever since I've just been lurking and have shared a couple videos with the KIC Twitter. Anyway, the table he was referring to was a blueprint table. Here's a photo of them at it. Sorry for the poor quality/shot.

Where is this area? Is it close to where we expect the coaster station to go?

• Like 1

If it is for blueprints, what is the spindly structure attached to it used for?

Edit: the tall bit

21c4bcd4dc11f8759385fa1c379cfa80.jpg

Edit again: it was sitting in the middle of the clearing behind the train station. It could be seen best from about the second car of the train when sitting in the station. It could also be seen from the front from the WWC queue, which IIRC was the angle Greg's tweeted pic was from.

• Like 4

So I was looking at the drawings again. If we go by the key view, (which my be fake) the lift hill after the bend is 345ft in length from start to top of the left hill. If you use the lift angle of most older coasters of around 26.5 deg, you get a height of 172, but here is the kicker. If you go with the angle which a lot of new coasters have been using of 30 deg, then you get a 199ft height. That is using the scale of the area of work section that measures 60ft in length. So quite interesting. Terp did say we would be surprised. Do you really think they would push the 200ft woodie height again? I can't imagine they would. I just can't wait until Thursday.

Sent from my iOS 10 device

• Like 14

So I was looking at the drawings again. If we go by the key view, (which my be fake) the lift hill after the bend is 345ft in length from start to top of the left hill. If you use the lift angle of most older coasters of around 26.5 deg, you get a height of 172, but here is the kicker. If you go with the angle which a lot of new coasters have been using of 30 deg, then you get a 199ft height. That is using the scale of the area of work section that measures 60ft in length. So quite interesting. Terp did say we would be surprised. Do you really think they would push the 200ft woodie height again? I can't imagine they would. I just can't wait until Thursday.

That corresponds with Gavpenn's stats.

• Like 3

Thanks for the detective work. A tall lift hill is one of my main "wants". I can only hope. Also, does Terp have access to inside info that none of us have?  Just asking as I am new to this board. Forgive my ignorance...

• Like 6

Thanks for the detective work. A tall lift hill is one of my main "wants". I can only hope. Also, does Terp have access to inside info that none of us have?  Just asking as I am new to this board. Forgive my ignorance...

Tall hill is my main want as well! That would be awesome!

• Like 1