Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

My 2 cents on the announced coaster.

I am glad to see them expanding without removing anything (for now).  The fact that they have wooded land to use and are using it to me is a plus.  That is one nice thing about The Beast that I like.  That feeling of almost leaving the rest of the park behind in a mad rush through the woods.  So, if they can pull this off, it will be a good thing (maybe the real Beastie?)

The POV did seem a little underwhelming to me, but I will hold off judgement until I get a couple of rides in.

Does it seem like they are keeping up with the nearby parks with this new one versus their new ones?  At this time, it does not look like it.  I have not ridden those new ones at the other nearby larger parks, but I am planning on doing this before the year ends.  However, another way of looking at it, do they need to or are the other parks catching up?  A different discussion for a different thread.

Will I ride this newest one?  At some point, yes.  Will I wait 2 hours in line to do so?  Probably not.  Will this keep me from going to the park and enjoying the other rides?  Not in the least.

I know that the comparisons in the park are flying about.  My first thought was, it looks like a Racer / Beast combo (Bacer / Reast?)  If they can get the smoothness right, some good airtime hills, and decent restraint system, I can see it as a good addition.  My one hope is that they limit the lighting as much as possible, so we can have another good "natural" dark ride at night.

The name seems out of place at this point.  I am hoping that the theming will go along with it and make sense.

Some people will love it, some will not.  Build it, lets ride it, and then judge.

It does sound like everyone that attended had a good day, and that really all that matters.

• Like 14

So Goble, is getting a GCI the equivalent of the Yoda/Dooku showdown in Episode 2?

silver2005, ending this thread proper. ;)

So Goble, is getting a GCI the equivalent of the Yoda/Dooku showdown in Episode 2?

silver2005, ending this thread proper. ;)

*CGI equivalent.

Ba dum tsh.

Pretty much. And LOL at the CGI comment.

But this thread is not done yet. Thread title change commencing...

• Like 3

This will be a perfect transitioning coaster. I was 99% sure it was going to be an RMC but understand why they went with GCI. It wouldn't be right to throw another extreme coaster directly next to PS. I know that Diamondback is practically inside PS but another over the top coaster would seem a bit much. Maybe the name will grow on me(pun intended) but seems kind of "drawn out of a hat." You already know that I'll be a first rider. Looking forward to those other announcements!

I also had the chance to meet a few of you, Zayzayd13 and BeautyandTheBeast to be specific. It was nice to experience tonight with fellow friends from kic.

• Like 12

I think it's so cool it goes through the woods and interacts with WWC and the train. That will be a very under-rated aspect of this ride. The fact that they put in a good ride and chances are they kept the costs down bodes well for a huge project (giga finally?) in 3-4 years. Will be a wonderful addition to Rivertown.  Not thrilled with the name, but that is a small thing. I do like the mean tree logo. Instead of Mystic Timbers, I would have went Black Forest, Screaming Forest or even Mystic Forest.

• Like 6

I think it's so cool it goes through the woods and interacts with WWC and the train. That will be a very under-rated aspect of this ride. The fact that they put in a good ride and chances are they kept the costs down bodes well for a huge project (giga finally?) in 3-4 years. Will be a wonderful addition to Rivertown.  Not thrilled with the name, but that is a small thing. I do like the mean tree logo. Instead of Mystic Timbers, I would have went Black Forest, Screaming Forest or even Mystic Forest.

My prediction is a Giga Coaster next to Banshee using the old SOB Train Station.  #TeamReuse #TeamRecycle #TeamGiga2020 HeeHee!

• Like 3

I like the concept for the new ride, and I think the new ride will leverage everything about The Beast that folks love as others have said. I kinda hope announcement 2 is removal of Timberwolf for 'future development' and a Giga in the near future, but we shall see. Good to meet a few of you last night - I'm lousy with names but you know who you are!

• Like 7

This will be a perfect transitioning coaster. I was 99% sure it was going to be an RMC but understand why they went with GCI. It wouldn't be right to throw another extreme coaster directly next to PS. I know that Diamondback is practically inside PS but another over the top coaster would seem a bit much. Maybe the name will grow on me(pun intended) but seems kind of "drawn out of a hat." You already know that I'll be a first rider. Looking forward to those other announcements!

I also had the chance to meet a few of you, Zayzayd13 and BeautyandTheBeast to be specific. It was nice to experience tonight with fellow friends from kic.

This seems unsatisfying to me. On more than one occasion, many of us tried to explain to the community here that, despite presenting himself as such, GavPenn was not an insider. (And GavPenn, you must admit – you did WAY more than just speculate and guess and have fun with us. You 100% purported yourself as an insider. "...I'll give you a hint..." "...that's all I'll say..." "You'll see..." "Just wait until the announcement..." etc. etc.) Every time you popped into this thread, it was as a know-it-all lording his inside information over us, "gifting" us with little hints and tips about what the answer was. We told you then that little coy "winks" presented as if you knew the answer were NOT cute, constructive, or fun, and warned your "followers" to be wary, and you literally just kept on going with 100% confidence that you knew and we didn't.

Now, those who trusted you (because you purported to be "in the know" and to have some access the rest of us don't), your "followers," are not renewing passes. You convinced them to anticipate something that many of us knew was not coming and crafted yourself into an insider who they could trust (never mind that, if you actually HAD known the answer, you would've been ruining the anticipation and fun for many of us by strutting around dropping hints). But you were wrong! After all that, you weren't even the insider you thought you were.

Sigh.

I will "un-ignore" your posts now and let's carry on. I hope we ALL learn a lesson from this – the same one we've been repeating for ever: those who know don't say, and those who say don't know.

• Like 23

I'm kind of a fan of Mystic Timbers. Without a theme.. bleh.. but since it seems to have a theme to it, I think it holds potential.. It should grow on us. At least it's not Backlot Stunt Coaster or Flight Deck.

BTW the POV seems to have quite a wide FOV which makes things seem more drawn out than it will actually be. 

Soooo... what's the retaining wall going to be for? Is construction answer the for sure answer?

• Like 8

Its good for me but I have really good internet

I have really good internet, too. It's a requirement with two teen gamers in the house (and two gamer parents). I can stream live MLB games, Netflix, Amazon Prime and play games all at once. The stream was unwatchable.

The problem was on KI's side, or the platform they chose. 

• Like 9

I went with the wife last night as we managed to get a baby sitter and went to the park for the last two hours after getting the youngest to sleep. My thoughts on the short trip are as follows.

Short lines in Action Zone led to us walking on Banshee, Delirium, and getting a salad from Chicken Shack with no wait and that makes me happy.

I was happy to see some people from here and other places in those couple of hours.

I'm sorry but if you waited hours in that line to watch the announcement you wasted your time as we went and rode and just walked up to an awesome spot by the Mystic Timbers shirt table.

The turd that shut down Diamondback annoyed me because he said they were closing 15 minutes early for the announcement. Which is fine by me we knew that but we showed up right at 9:40 and they closed it off and he once again said 15 minutes early. You're not fooling me sir I have a smart phone I know I still have 5 minutes. Oo well.

When we originally walked to the announcement area some lady kept throwing a fit about being told you can't stand on the paved path and when they started allowing people because it was a huge crowd I thought her head was going to explode I found it slightly annoying but funny at the same time.

Mystic Timbers is a good name. I think I'll really enjoy the ride. I like the logo and colors and can't wait to see what's in the shed. Also looking forward to the second announcement.

• Like 6

Ever since I rode Renegade last summer (the only GCI that I've knowingly ridden to date) I've wanted something similar at KI.  For even longer, I've felt like KI needed another "transition" coaster, something for the newest riders to enjoy that wouldn't scare them off with a bunch of loops or extreme heights.  I've read on here (accuratly???) that the height requirement will be 48".  My only hope was that it would be 46" to help that transition a bit more, but I don't know the Ohio rules and how those heights are determined.  At any rate, they just about nailed 2 of my wishes with one stone.

I'm really excited to ride this, I think it will be a ton of fun, in a great spot. 

• Like 7

And the same as Adventure Express, Racer, The Beast, Vortex, and Stunt Coaster.  Some of those are "family coasters" some of them are not.  Like I said, I'm not sure what qualifies a ride's height requirements.

Fire Chaser Express at Dollywood has a 46" height requirement I believe, and looks like a ton of fun.  My only desire for the 46" mark is that a kid hits Woodstock express at 40", FAAC at 44", then has to wait 4 more inches for a bunch more rides to open up.  So for my son growing up, it was Woodstock express at 2/3, FAAC at 4/5 then he had to wait until he turned 6 before hitting 48" and getting on The Beast.  Would have been nice to have another coaster for that year in between.

At any rate, the ride itself looks great.

• Like 5

I see a lot of mention/assumption that the comment last night about a different ride each time is referring to the shed.  Am I the only one who assumed they were referring to how The Beast rides differently at night vs day, hot vs warm vs cold, post rain vs dry?  Because to me The Beast's differences are far more noticeable than most coasters and far more discussed.  I assumed that's what he meant.

• Like 6

40 inches by 3? I'm jealous. My son is still waiting to crack the first magic mark. 40 inches will be next year when he's 4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My son turns three Sunday. He is at the 39 inch mark. If we make it to Dollywood in a couple of weeks I am looking forward to getting him on Firechaser Express.

• Like 3

There should be a 46" height requirement. The coaster is more of a family coaster. With a 48" height requirement it is the same as top thrill dragster.

Shouldn't feed the trolls, but TTD has a 52" height requirement.  Millennium Force is 48"

1) Kings Islands SORELY needs more rides for kids in the 48" height requirement.  By the time this opens, my niece and nephew will be 52", but this year it was hard telling them all the rides they couldn't ride.

2) I think the shed, as previously mentioned, will be some sort of AV show while the trains are being loaded.  I wouldn't expect much, they teased the enclosed section of IJ:ST and it ended up being just a bunch of curves.  It'll be a nice touch instead of just sitting in the hot sun.  The shed will also house the transfer track for maintenance, but you won't be able to see it. I see the blocks being the following:

• Station
  • Station to top of lift hill.
  • Top of lift hill to safety brakes (before the shed)
  • The shed itself (block brakes)

That will allow them to have 3 train operation.  

3) The layout matches what was filed, guesses were fairly close for the most part on height and length.  Anyone who had seen the posted layout and thought it was over 150ft. is crazy.  

4) All of the twists and pops will be great.  It's nothing like The Beast or Racer.

• Like 10

Firechaser Express is a 39 inch height requirement

Really?  well that is even better.

Have you been on it?  I want to say yes, but I'm not 100%.  Thoughts?  I thought it looked like fun in the POVs and great as a true family coaster. 

Edit:  after posting this I saw your comment about your kid's height, so perhaps I'm thinking of someone else.

• Like 1