Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

The life-cycle of a new roller coaster announcement is fascinating, if not, ultimately, a little aggravating. I think most people would benefit from taking a deep breath and remembering three things.

1) Kings Island has a customer base slightly larger than just you that they need to appeal to and please.

2) A person's opinion on a newly announced amusement park ride cannot be wrong. It can jaded, it can be over-the-top. It can be lacking in quality supporting information... but it can't be wrong.

3) Zero. That's the number of people who have currently ridden this roller coaster. Zero "haters". Zero "fanboys". Zero enthusiasts. Zero members of the general public. Every time a new ride is announced, someone who is unhappy and states "this is lame" is inevitably chastised by a group of individuals who shout about not knowing that it sucks when you haven't even ridden it... all the while, they themselves shouting how the coaster is "awesome". Currently, Mystic Timbers is neither lame nor awesome. It's concept art.

Speaking of which, I'd caution everyone who's very excited about the concept art and the detail and theme to temper that enthusiasm a bit. A quick google search of Diamondback concept art will offer up some amazing drawings of the first ever B&M mega coaster with a splashdown finale. Compare that to the actual splashdown that sits in the middle of RT. Concept art is "concept" art for a reason.

With all that said, I'll be cautiously optimistic that the theme and detail will be there for this ride. It's a really cool, and rather different, theme. Kings Island has the opportunity to do some incredible stuff with Mystic Timbers. Really looking forward to what they've done with the shed/barn/mill at the end of the ride. I don't expect a drop-track, and certainly not a launch, but there could be some really cool little tricks and some great story-telling that gives a fun and fantastic finish to the ride.

Love that this thing looks like it will stay low to the ground and pack rather relentless speed. I wonder if there might be lights, sound effects etc added back in the woods. Random glows and "eyes" peering at you from the forest. Things to make it seem like the woods are alive.

Should be a very nice addition to the park!

Think I would have gone with something a little more intimidating for the name, though.

You have a valid point lol

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Love that this thing looks like it will stay low to the ground and pack rather relentless speed. I wonder if there might be lights, sound effects etc added back in the woods. Random glows and "eyes" peering at you from the forest. Things to make it seem like the woods are alive.

That would be pretty cool...I just hope that those elements don't fall into disrepair as a lot of theme elements seem to do.

• Like 3

Initial response to Mystic Timbers:

First off, the ride itself looks great. Whenever I would look at that area of the park, I always felt like a good modern woodie or a blitz coaster would work great there so I'm very happy they're using that space for this purpose. The ride looks fun, fast and hopefully smooth with a nice mystery at the end. Going off what I know and have ridden, I love The Raven and if you told me they could put The Raven in Rivertown next to The Beast I would have been ecstatic. I feel like they will come close with Mystic Timbers. Even though it's only 100' tall, I think it has potential to be a top 5 or higher coaster at the park.

I do like the theming and I love the "old truck" trains. It kind of reminds me of the Dharma Initiative (Lost) with the old VW vans in the unknown jungle. It's a fun theme that I think will work well.

What's in the shed? I have no idea. If it's something mechanical, I'd lean toward a drop track with some effects. I'm hoping for a barrel roll with effects. GCI has stated that they can do inversions. That would be a cool addition to the ride. I'm really hoping it's not some cheesy AE-style animatronic climax and you roll gently into the station. They've failed if that's what it is.

Now to some negatives...I like the theme but I hate the name. That word "Mystic" just isn't sitting well with me, it doesn't even fully fit the theme. Mystic to me speaks "magical", but this is some killer plant in the "natural" woods. I think they could have come up with a better name that would have better described the overall experience, theme and ride.

Also the tree in the logo is kind of dumb. It looks like an angry cross between Treebeard and Gandalf.

Lastly, I was hoping for a 42" rider height to promote more kid/family riders. I think this is a top ride in the park and it's cool to think it could be my son's first "big" coaster...but he has to wait until he's 48" when he can ride a majority of coasters in the park (including The Beast).

Overall I'm happy. My gripes are minor and I can't wait to ride and find out what's in that shed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Lastly, I was hoping for a 42" rider height to promote more kid/family riders. I think this is a top ride in the park and it's cool to think it could be my son's first "big" coaster...but he has to wait until he's 48" when he can ride a majority of coasters in the park (including The Beast).

I understand that point, being a person that is larger than what rides are typically designed for, I'm hoping this means I won't be uncomfortable when I ride it.

• Like 1

The t-shirts have some tie dye influence.  KCKC used to be where I would smell weed while in the que line.  Many, but not, weed smokers, sport tie dye shirts.  The tree in the ride's logo looks like the angry tree from the Wizard of Oz.  Maybe there is a connection to the Tin Man boat after all.

• Like 5

So which clues seemed to be stretching in the teasers?   "Roll out the barrels".....how does that tie into this ride?  "Field of dreams"......still don't get it other than if you build it they will come.(seems more of a record breaking slogan)      I think they were almost too careful with the clues this time. Mystic Timbers is not a great name, but it sure wasn't a name anybody was going to guess. I posted back in this thread about a movie called The Ruins(2008). I'm thinking somebody at KI is a fan of that movie. Killer vines in the Mayan jungle manipulate peoples minds and attack them. I was right on track with the theming there, but I couldn't think of a coaster name for killer vines. ha!

• Like 4

40 inches by 3? I'm jealous. My son is still waiting to crack the first magic mark. 40 inches will be next year when he's 4

My son Eli is 23 months old and is baaaarely less an inch away from 36 in which he can graduate to the next level of rides other than Train Junction and moon buggies. But hey, he still gets in for free and who's complaining. Right? It's funny other parents ask if he's 3. Haha.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

My son was ALMOST 40" before 3 and he would have absolutely loved Woodstock Express, but alas he's a half-inch short. We did take advantage of the free "under 3" admission with him being over 36". One of the best visits to the park in recent memory, seeing it all new through his eyes.

• Like 3

LOL Flight Deck'd: Yes, I got the "Ent" vibe when I saw the logo.  It looks like it was drawn by about a fifth-or-sixth-grade art student (and, if so, probably a winning entry in a contest).

The design engineer said that he himself doesn't know what's in the shed. I take him at his word, which cancels out the 'drop track' idea... maybe.  He could only be referring to the "after-market," audio-visual elements that might be part of the shed interior, which can still be in production if that's the case.

EDIT (For clarity): Meaning they can build the shed with programmable, OLED walls and sound elements, which can be produced and played over-and-over, with different "endings," perhaps. The content of the audio-visual can be kept secret until the day they plug in the data stick. Man, to be alive in 2016!!!

• Like 12

So I guess the big ol Huss is outta there. I wonder what they did with it..... It was working fine wasn't it?

It's been gone for a minute. I think since 2008. The only thing in the box is Madam Fatale.... But remember the first tweet of the season, if I remember came from Greg Schied... Praising the "out of the box" haunt team....

I wonder what they did with it.....sold it to another company? I don't think it is in the CF family any longer.

My understanding was it was scrapped.

• Like 3

40 inches by 3? I'm jealous. My son is still waiting to crack the first magic mark. 40 inches will be next year when he's 4

My son Eli is 23 months old and is baaaarely less an inch away from 36 in which he can graduate to the next level of rides other than Train Junction and moon buggies. But hey, he still gets in for free and who's complaining. Right? It's funny other parents ask if he's 3. Haha.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Just in case you were not aware.

At under 36" you can ride The Monster, Linus' Beetle Bugs (though I highly recommend having someone a sitting to their outside, and wish the operators would recognize that as well), Joe Cool's Dodge 'Em School, Peanuts 500, Sally's Sea Plane and a handful of other rides.  Some of the rides are obvious, sitting in Planet Snoopy, but rides like Monster can easily be missed.

And again, I'd highly recommend having another kid (preferably a bit older) sitting to their outside on The Beetle Bugs.  there are some decent forces and I'm amazed how many kids that can't quite control their body are thrown around and the operators do nothing about it.  My wife has complained multiple times to both the operators and guest services.  Typically the kids that can support themselves fully thru the forces or have someone to shield them from moving too far on the lateral forces around the bends look to have a ton of fun.  Its the kids that can't support themselves that get scared and start crying.

Also, the Scrambler is 36" when your little hits that mark, another one that is easily missed.

Additionally, there appear to be some issues w/ the website and their height requirement page.

• Like 2

From the materials released so far: I like it!

Looking at the 360 view of the shed: applying a little bit of theming like that to the outside of the Slaughterhouse haunt building would be awesome. It wouldn't need to be Haunt-inspired year round but a shabby looking "Kings Mills Meat and Poultry co" building would be so much cooler for Rivertown and The Beast's queue than the current plain metal shop-looking building. Hopefully the theming in the Mystic Timbers concept drawings actually comes through and then maybe starts to creep back into Rivertown.

• Like 4

I'm not exactly sure what constitues a car in this case,

But both Renegade and Prowler have what appear to my untrained eye to have 12 cars, 2 riders per car, 24 total.

Perhaps, the "cars" are joined by 2 w/ a joint b/w them to consider them 1 actual car, thus creating 6 cars of 4 riders, the same 24 total.

I know that is confusing, but I'm assuming the trains are set up similar to both, off ride videos are available on both which clearly show the trains from the side.

• Like 3

New signs on the fence!

a54ddc3e9d47657a8e6c83e3c64d3042.jpg

Sent from my LGL33L using Tapatalk

See those greenish glowing eyes on the poster?     Makes me wonder if KI is going to use glowing eyes along this coaster path at night. It might be a nice effect without lighting up the area TOO much.

• Like 5