Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

True. Who would MA's greatest competitor be anyway? SFGAM?

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

It isn't always about the competition but more about the market.Lets take a look at KI for example.

Kings Island is arguably the #2 park for CF and thus will be a prime location for investment. KI is within 3 hours of Cincinnati,Columbus,Louisville, and Indianapolis which give it 4 major cities that it draws people from. Its main competition lies in Cedar Point or Holiday World, one is another CF park and the other is a small family owned park that rarely builds rollercoasters. 

MA's draw size is noticeably smaller if you consider that Chicago has SFGAM and Detroit is more likely to go to CP. This causes decreased attendance which means there is less reason to invest in the park because people aren't showing up. MA is just poorly placed and will never get a lot of love simply because the ROI isn't there.

• Like 4

Nothing to see here. Just some trees, and a few engineers and stone carvers working on an 80' statue... move along :P

Sculptors.jpg

I have to disagree with ya Mr. Biscuit.

I would think if they was gonna build a statue back around WWC, it would have to KI's most notorious cannon pirate.

But that's just me decoding.

• Like 8

Nothing to see here. Just some trees, and a few engineers and stone carvers working on an 80' statue... move along

Sculptors.jpg

This is the best post in this whole thread.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Might even be the best post ever on the forum. I legitimately laughed out loud

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I bet its designed by Alan Schilke and built by RMC. Because that statue is intense.

Vortex Lover, trying to be funny. But failing BAD

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

True. Who would MA's greatest competitor be anyway? SFGAM?

It isn't always about the competition but more about the market.Lets take a look at KI for example.

Kings Island is arguably the #2 park for CF and thus will be a prime location for investment. KI is within 3 hours of Cincinnati,Columbus,Louisville, and Indianapolis which give it 4 major cities that it draws people from. Its main competition lies in Cedar Point or Holiday World, one is another CF park and the other is a small family owned park that rarely builds rollercoasters.

MA's draw size is noticeably smaller if you consider that Chicago has SFGAM and Detroit is more likely to go to CP. This causes decreased attendance which means there is less reason to invest in the park because people aren't showing up. MA is just poorly placed and will never get a lot of love simply because the ROI isn't there.

Don't forget Dayton and Lexington. Not huge cities, but significant populations nonetheless.

• Like 3

It comes down to money.

2rw6tea.jpg

This is directly from an investors presentation by Cedar Fair and shows the profits produced as a percentage of the whole chain.  Take a look at the chart and you can see why certain parks get more money to spend.  According to investor reports after Fury 325 the chain pointed out that Carowinds got the ride early because of the response from Intimidator.  Also the chain has announced it is planning on $150 million in capital improvements next year.  Assuming a B&M giga Kings Island would get $30 to $40 million of that still leaving more then one hundred million dollars for the rest of the parks.

When Banshee was built I believe it was the GM of Kings Island who said it would take three years to pay off.  The investments need to match the size of the park.  A large expensive coaster or two could easily push a smaller park into the red due to maintenance and operating costs.

Cedar Fair is investing in the parks which earn the most and parks which have the most potential for growth.  Knott's is stuck with little space to expand, also I wonder what percentage of the money comes from Scary Farm, that event is just huge and is a hard ticket event.  It is hard to compare it to anything I have seen at any of the other Cedar Fair parks, I think it is even better then Howl-O-Scream at Busch Gardens Tampa.
  • Like 16

It comes down to money.

2rw6tea.jpg

This is directly from an investors presentation by Cedar Fair and shows the profits produced as a percentage of the whole chain.  Take a look at the chart and you can see why certain parks get more money to spend.  According to investor reports after Fury 325 the chain pointed out that Carowinds got the ride early because of the response from Intimidator.  Also the chain has announced it is planning on $150 million in capital improvements next year.  Assuming a B&M giga Kings Island would get $30 to $40 million of that still leaving more then one hundred million dollars for the rest of the parks.

When Banshee was built I believe it was the GM of Kings Island who said it would take three years to pay off.  The investments need to match the size of the park.  A large expensive coaster or two could easily push a smaller park into the red due to maintenance and operating costs.

Cedar Fair is investing in the parks which earn the most and parks which have the most potential for growth.  Knott's is stuck with little space to expand, also I wonder what percentage of the money comes from Scary Farm, that event is just huge and is a hard ticket event.  It is hard to compare it to anything I have seen at any of the other Cedar Fair parks, I think it is even better then Howl-O-Scream at Busch Gardens Tampa.

Knotts WAS going to get Leviathan, but i have no idea what may have switch courses to Canada 

• Like 1

I have seen the plans and know what it is. I am thoroughly enjoying everyone's posts, trying to figure it out. All I can say about it is, WOW! Carry on.

Why don't you say? Nothing is holding you back.

Depending on how he got the information he might have had to sign a NDA. 

• Like 4

I have seen the plans and know what it is. I am thoroughly enjoying everyone's posts, trying to figure it out. All I can say about it is, WOW! Carry on.

As a wise Terpster always says

Those who know........

• Like 8

Depending on how he got the information he might have had to sign a NDA. 

If he received a NDA it would not be wise to state anything in regards to anything the NDA is created for. 

• Like 14

Nothing to see here. Just some trees, and a few engineers and stone carvers working on an 80' statue... move along

Sculptors.jpg

This is the best post in this whole thread.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Might even be the best post ever on the forum. I legitimately laughed out loud

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I bet its designed by Alan Schilke and built by RMC. Because that statue is intense.

Vortex Lover, trying to be funny. But failing BAD

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Someone needs a Centurion for that statue, a blue Centurion. 

I have strong inclinations to various theories, RMC, B&M, a flat ride, or possibly a GCI. All of which could fit in this area, and or other areas. A RMC, GCI, or a flat would fit in the small footprint that the area encompasses permitting a small plaza and thus a new coaster area in RiverTown. A B&M however could stretch in RiverTown being a Wing coaster, however a Giga would fit more back near Action Zone/Coney Mall as it could stretch the backside of Kings Island opening up a new area. However, I could only see a Giga later on, maybe in 2018-2020 time frame so that Kings Island could continue to grow. A compact Wing Coaster that stretches like ThunderBird would also be a great addition due to the flying aspect and the continuation of the B&M use. 

• Like 3

I'm thinking some kind of flat ride maybe the something that Wonderland got this year. I personally think KI won't get a new coaster till maybe 2018 or 2017. And if it is a Giga it would make more sense to put it over close to The Bat were the old SOB station is

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I'm thinking some kind of flat ride maybe the something that Wonderland got this year. I personally think KI won't get a new coaster till maybe 2018 or 2017. And if it is a Giga it would make more sense to put it over close to The Bat were the old SOB station is

IMO, this would be the worst possible location for a giga.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

IMO, this would be the worst possible location for a giga.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Curious (really not trolling or being harsh)...

Is that statement hyperbolic? I would think so since there are plenty of other obvious choices that would be worse.

If not hyperbole, what makes you say that? Based on what we (think we) know, all we've seen so far is markers for a pathway. The fence itself isn't much larger than a queue entrance...the station house for the ride could be several hundred feet from the entrance/fence (like The Bat - seriously, the walk to/from is longer than the actual ride if there's minimal wait). It's possible any clearing being done for the actual ride can't be see from anywhere inside the park that guests can get to aside from the Eiffel Tower. And the view from the tower may be at an angle it's hard to perceive a path being cleared in the trees.

I'm gonna see if I can fly over the area in the next week or two just to see what it looks like from above.

• Like 7