Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

Since the leak, I'm sure we will get our major announcement sooner than expected. I am also not the person who leaked the plans on kie. I personally think it was a poor move. Its someone's job to hype this coaster and it was just snuffed out. I'm sure there are many people like myself who seen the plan but didn't leak information.

"Leaks" haven't hurt the hype surrounding other major Cedar Fair projects. Coaster enthusiasts finding & sharing public records is inevitable anymore. People are talking about KI 2017 now more than ever.

An announcement that's a complete surprise would be cool, but construction schedules don't always work out that way. Not to mention that you don't want people expecting to top Fury when that's not what you're doing this year. Underpromise & overdeliver.

By the way, if you have "insider" information and are subject to a NDA (or frieNDA) as you suggest, staying away from relevant speculation would be prudent. Consult this site's terms of service...

• Like 11

KD and SFGAM are the only other 4 woodie parks I can think of. Are there any others?

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

No matter what their marketing department tells you, SFGAm has three woodies. American Eagle, Viper, and Little Dipper. Unless, of course we're counting American Eagle as two. But in that case, the KI Racer is also two, meaning that an additional woodie would give them five.
I meant Goliath.

• Like 1

I tried this again using a Bing map and I was able to find the Train Tracks better and the WWC was more defined.  Again, just a fan of Kings Island enjoying playing with photoshop.  It was also easier to line up where the Train enters and exits the station over the tracks by the station.  The rest falls into place on it's own.  This photo is strictly for entertainment purposes.  View at your own RISK!   :D

27297524250_8d8b0c8602_z.jpgBING KI PROJECT 2017 by KingsIsland1972, on Flickr

• Like 5

Yes, I know.

And I was stating that I disagree on its classification as a woodie.

Why? The track is wooden, so wouldn't that make it a wooden coaster?

The supports are wood, the track is steel.  Personally I feel it is a steel coaster, if you want to call it hybrid go for it but I do not consider it a wood coaster.

• Like 10

With all this talk about parks and their wooden coaster lineups. Besides Kings Island with a "legendary" and soon to be a top notch wooden coaster lineup, and Holiday World with their amazing collection, people seem to forget about Dollywood. Even though there are only two, in my opinion, their wooden coasters are top notch.

I'm actually really happy with this addition. No, we do not know specifics quite yet, but this layout looks very promising. Kings Island typically does very well with using the terrain (i.e. Banshee, Diamondback, Beast, even The Bat).

A wooden coaster was much more needed than a giga. But I do believe we will see one soon. Maybe sooner than we all think.

Do not be upset that we are getting a NEW addition. Be thankful! This attraction could be pretty special. As I mentioned before, it could very well be a formidable night ride. On top of that (if it is), KI is already home to some if not the best night rides on the planet, and I think a wooden coaster darting in and out of the woods will provide that better experience rather a Giga.

Just my two cents. I know people may disagree, but hey...that's life.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

• Like 9

I don't think it's Rocky Mountain Coasters, sorry. CF has no relationship with them. RMC doesn't have the perfect record that GCI has. RMCs are also quite pricey. CF is into the tried and true these days after years of Intamin disasters.

yes CF has no relationship with RMC but were are we getting this idea of RMC having a somewhat spotty track record? the only time I have heard anything about a problem with RMC was with new Texas Giant and that was a train issue (still a Gerstlaurer train too). I don't mind a GCI but this blueprint seems a little copy paste from Prowler, I'm guessing a woodie but something a little bigger than a prowleresque (that's a word right?) wooden coaster. only time will tell. another note what happened to Gravity group being a possibility? 

• Like 1

Cedar Fair has spoiled the KI fanboys since 2006. You can bet that every year KI gets something great. Whether it be a new attraction, landscaping, a show, or a shop. CF has done an exceptional job with the park and there's nobody better for the PR job than Don Helbig. I'm very lucky to call KI my home park. To read that people are "disappointed" aggravates me. KI needs a woodie badly, I'm sure this coaster will be a new park favorite for a lot of people.

• Like 18

Does GCI still do the road bed thing for the footings that they started with I believe American Thunder? If so that would be an easy way to determine manufacturer if you start seeing a wide side walk looking construction. Still not 100% sold that it's definitely a coaster as other possibilities are still there, but just a thought.

Now off to play around in NoLimits.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

• Like 2

However just because I'm not 100% doesn't mean I'm not 98% sure it's a wooden coaster. It's like reasonable doubt even if it's just an O.J.'s worth.

Edit: I made a very rough version in the original No Limits with a twist. If you want P.M. me and I could email it to you. I only have phone internet currently so I can't upload it to YouTube nor would I want to as it's pretty rough. Came in just under 3k feet for what it's worth.

• Like 1

Seems like they try to break some kinda record with every Coaster built. I'm not saying it's going to but if they are trying to break some kinda record with this ride what do you think it would be? I know there is no scale but I definitely can't see it being any kind of height records and we can almost for sure rule out a length record as I dont think they care to break a record they already hold.

• Like 1

I'm crushed. This ride won't make us renewal our passes next year.

You don't even know what the ride is. No one knows what the ride is, so don't jump the gun and assume it's going to be a crappy installation. Let's all wait and eat a Snickers until the announcement.

8a58e72568044167d8af7239d1ac394b.jpg

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

• Like 24

Since the leak, I'm sure we will get our major announcement sooner than expected. I am also not the person who leaked the plans on kie. I personally think it was a poor move. Its someone's job to hype this coaster and it was just snuffed out. I'm sure there are many people like myself who seen the plan but didn't leak information.

"Leaks" haven't hurt the hype surrounding other major Cedar Fair projects. Coaster enthusiasts finding & sharing public records is inevitable anymore. People are talking about KI 2017 now more than ever.

An announcement that's a complete surprise would be cool, but construction schedules don't always work out that way. Not to mention that you don't want people expecting to top Fury when that's not what you're doing this year. Underpromise & overdeliver.

By the way, if you have "insider" information and are subject to a NDA (or frieNDA) as you suggest, staying away from relevant speculation would be prudent. Consult this site's terms of service...

Also, we are in a VERY VERY VERY small minority of park goers. 

KIE on FB has <1500 followers. I don't know the numbers on this site, but let's say it's the same.

~3000 people out of the general public are aware. Ok, probably a bit more since those folks probably told their spouse etc.

This "leak" will not impact the general, park going, public's reaction one bit.

• Like 6

Haven't posted in a long time, but had a question and was curious if someone could enlighten me.  Recently I was lucky enough to take a trip to SFMM thanks to my sister living out there now.  While there, we rode the GCI roller coaster formerly known as Terminator: Salvation The Ride, now dubbed Apocalypse: The Ride. My sister pleaded with me not to go on it, but I love wooden roller coasters, so she was going to have to deal with it.  Now I know that not all coasters are the same and that not all companies are perfect, but this particular GCI was absolutely awful.  I couldn't wait to get off and I'm not someone who doesn't love the whole getting beat up and out of control on a wooden coaster, well maybe not SOB beat up ;)

Did I catch this coaster on a bad day?  Does it have a bad reputation to others?  I know I've ridden GCI's before, at Hersheypark, but I really don't remember if I enjoyed them or not.

On a side note, I really really really want an RMC Hybrid coaster.  Twisted Colossus was the biggest surprise I maybe have ever had on a roller coaster and it was by far my favorite ride in the park.  It was the only one we rode 3 times all day, and that was by choice.  (Although I didn't get a chance to ride X2 because (shocker) it was down for the day)

There seems to be a lot of love for GCI which usually means that they have good coasters, just curious why the more recent Apocalypse was so bad?

• Like 2

This site amazes me.

We are getting some type of roller coaster and I see some people actually COMPLAINING. I personally was hoping for a wing rider through the woods, but I'm even more excited now that I've seen some plans! This will be such a good addition to the park and I'm stoked. If this seriously is the thing that breaks your back in terms of renewing your season pass, then cya. Less people in line in front of me on opening day.

To think this is a fan site too...

• Like 29

Haven't posted in a long time, but had a question and was curious if someone could enlighten me.  Recently I was lucky enough to take a trip to SFMM thanks to my sister living out there now.  While there, we rode the GCI roller coaster formerly known as Terminator: Salvation The Ride, now dubbed Apocalypse: The Ride. My sister pleaded with me not to go on it, but I love wooden roller coasters, so she was going to have to deal with it.  Now I know that not all coasters are the same and that not all companies are perfect, but this particular GCI was absolutely awful.  I couldn't wait to get off and I'm not someone who doesn't love the whole getting beat up and out of control on a wooden coaster, well maybe not SOB beat up ;)

Did I catch this coaster on a bad day?  Does it have a bad reputation to others?  I know I've ridden GCI's before, at Hersheypark, but I really don't remember if I enjoyed them or not.

On a side note, I really really really want an RMC Hybrid coaster.  Twisted Colossus was the biggest surprise I maybe have ever had on a roller coaster and it was by far my favorite ride in the park.  It was the only one we rode 3 times all day, and that was by choice.  (Although I didn't get a chance to ride X2 because (shocker) it was down for the day)

There seems to be a lot of love for GCI which usually means that they have good coasters, just curious why the more recent Apocalypse was so bad?

I have to agree with Apocalypse but when the ride opened it was smooth.  My guess is the problem is with maintenance at Magic Mountain not replacing bad sections of track.  It really has not aged well.

At the same time I would look at Thunderhead at Dollywood.  That ride is five years older than Apocalypse and is fantastic.  I think how the park treats the ride is more important on a wooden coaster than a steel coaster.

• Like 12