Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

The coordinate system is pretty simple. But you need to know the origin to place the ride correctly.

That would be the Kings Island Theater at 3, 5, and 7, with an additional showing at 1:30 on Saturdays and no showings on one of the weekdays.

TRFTW, always willing to help.

Cirque: Origins is off Tuesdays. Also, I believe their Saturday shows are at 1:30/3:30/5/7. Even though one of my favorite acts and my favorite cast member has left the show, I've heard great things about the new acts.

-MDMC, being helpful as well :)

• Like 4

The train will be going over a 2nd bridge next year.

71c7cc6f55fbf742f890f6b1e18b1fdb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen more than one layout taking this right over top of significant portions of WWC. This one takes the track on top of the big round-table? :blink:

Not saying it isn't possible, but something just doesn't seem right. That's a huge span to deal with via wood construction.

Google earth is not 100% accurate. I'm thinking that part of the track will actually be down where the water is, remember there is water on both sides of the train tracks there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

When using those maps you have to remember they are not a perfect top down view like the layout is. The plans would have to be skewed to fit properly. They also merge thousands of pics to create a full map meaning the way the map is skewed could change over the course of the layout. You can tell how skewed it is by the sides of the buildings.

• Like 2

When using those maps you have to remember they are not a perfect top down view like the layout is. The plans would have to be skewed to fit properly. They also merge thousands of pics to create a full map meaning the way the map is skewed could change over the course of the layout. You can tell how skewed it is by the sides of the buildings.

It doesn't make too big of a difference actually. The footers for a coaster that is skewed would actually still be in the same place, since they are at ground level and the ground isn't skewed much at all. There will always be some very minor problems, but nothing big at all. For a coaster the size of that, the coaster might be off say one or two meters.

(I've worked with Google Earth almost every day for the past couple of years for some projects (including KI), so I've gotten fairly knowledgeable about it. :P)

• Like 1

It doesn't make too big of a difference actually. The footers for a coaster that is skewed would actually still be in the same place, since they are at ground level and the ground isn't skewed much at all. There will always be some very minor problems, but nothing big at all. For a coaster the size of that, the coaster might be off say one or two meters.

(I've worked with Google Earth almost every day for the past couple of years for some projects (including KI), so I've gotten fairly knowledgeable about it. :P)

In your experience how much does that affect the view? While the footers may end up in the same place do they appear to hit someplace else on the map? Plus 2 meters could be the difference between going over the turn table or the line.

• Like 2

In your experience how much does that affect the view? While the footers may end up in the same place do they appear to hit someplace else on the map? Plus 2 meters could be the difference between going over the turn table or the line.

There are other online resources you can seek out for better mapping.  Around here the county geographic information systems are really useful.  They have higher resolution aerial imaging, topo layers, measurement tools, all with coordinates.  Search for Warren County GIS.

• Like 4

I used a topographical map for alignment and scale, and Bing/Google satellite images for transferring that idea to something more easily understood visually.

Unfortunately, those images are at work, and I don't have Photoshop here to recreate that process.

Edit: And as someone mentioned steel ties, that could simply be in that location where there is a bridge abutment. We don't have much detail beyond that ~20ft section of track.

• Like 3

This isn't entirely my own speculation, but it does go along with what I was pointing out in pictures yesterday about the cleared path behind the train station heading in a direct line smack toward the side of the big box.

So, Kings Island has submitted plans so they can start some work. The pages focus on details from a small portion of the entire layout (marked "Area of Work").

Presumably these plans were submitted this month, not just to give us a thrill, but because they wanted to get started on work... however, except for possibly spelling out "watch for falling trees" in sticks (I say possibly because I didn't personally see it, but I may have been looking the wrong direction at the time) and maybe a little more tree removal (nothing major I've noticed), very little visible has changed the last couple weeks.

There is someplace we can't see though: inside the box. Every bit of the work detailed in the submitted in the plans could already be in process, possibly completed, and we'd have little to no idea.

Keep eyes open for concrete mixers near the prior TRTR building.

• Like 4

Ok I'm looking at some plans (no I didn't buy any I found some stuff online) and looking at some of the stuff on them I think we might see a steel structure with a GG woodie. I have a few reasons why. 1: the supports don't come out far on some of the areas (such as the turns) 2: if you look a some of the recent stuff GG has been doing they have began to make their supports much more narrow (ideal stuff for the terrain)

1024x1024.jpg

3: maybe a low turnaround? (maybe a Switchback style?)

• Like 6

Several people have mentioned GG, but nothing becomes of it. I don't see why it isn't possible, Cedar Fair had worked with both CCI and GCI, I don't see why they wouldn't work with GG, considering they're essentially the "new" CCI. And GCI is obviously the most likely candidate, but almost all their layouts are much more "twisty," where GG does more out and back coasters.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Ok I'm looking at some plans (no I didn't buy any I found some stuff online) and looking at some of the stuff on them I think we might see a steel structure with a GG woodie. I have a few reasons why. 1: the supports don't come out far on some of the areas (such as the turns) 2: if you look a some of the recent stuff GG has been doing they have began to make their supports much more narrow (ideal stuff for the terrain)

1024x1024.jpg

3: maybe a low turnaround? (maybe a Switchback style?)

The steel structure can also be seen by GCI seen on Invadr and White Lightning. But yes this is what I imagine the support structure will look like.

• Like 2

Old School's layout is what I thought would make the most sense when I posted my comment about when pulling into the train station there is a large clearing between the tracks and the WWC reservoir. His layout has the coaster going exactly there. The other lake to the left of the tracks also would have to have the layout going around it, and it does as well. It also matches up with the markers and more clearing i've seen, especially the two markers found before the train turns into the final stretch into the Soak City station.  

• Like 2

Maybe a decoding of the lyrics will reveal something

There's a garden, what a garden

Only happy faces bloom there

And there's never any room there

For a worry or a gloom there

Oh there's music and there's dancing

And a lot of sweet romancing

When they play the polka

They all get in the swing

Every time they hear that

Everybody feels so

They want to throw their cares away

They all go

Then they hear a rumble on the floor, the floor

It's the big surprise they're waiting for

And all the couples form a ring

For miles around you'll hear them sing

Roll out the barrel, we'll have a barrel of fun

Roll out the barrel, we've got the blues on the run

Zing boom tararrel, ring out a song of good cheer

Now's the time to roll the barrel, for the gang's all here

Then they hear a rumble on the floor-or-or-or

It's the big surprise they're waiting for

And all the couples they form a ring

For miles around you'll hear them sing

Roll it out, roll it out, roll out the barrel

Sing a song of good cheer

Cause the whole gang is here

Roll it out, roll it out

Let's do the beer barrel polka

For your pleasure. Free of charge. :)

OR

That barrel is a Powder Keg. SDC has a coaster by that name and also one built by....

• Like 2

The steel ties are for the entire structure, plus they are dynamic (moving) parts. I wouldn't want to go on a ride where the ride was sturdy and the bridge was moving. So the ties are steel, which is a huge hint towards RMC. Plus the company in listed in the video Malem sent me listed a company that I believe did the arch structure for Goliath at Great America.

• Like 2

Old School's layout is what I thought would make the most sense when I posted my comment about when pulling into the train station there is a large clearing between the tracks and the WWC reservoir. His layout has the coaster going exactly there. The other lake to the left of the tracks also would have to have the layout going around it, and it does as well. It also matches up with the markers and more clearing i've seen, especially the two markers found before the train turns into the final stretch into the Soak City station.  

Has anyone taken the time to use satellite images to show accurate positions of clearings and survey lines/stakes?

• Like 1

The steel ties are for the entire structure, plus they are dynamic (moving) parts. I wouldn't want to go on a ride where the ride was sturdy and the bridge was moving. So the ties are steel, which is a huge hint towards RMC. Plus the company in listed in the video Malem sent me listed a company that I believe did the arch structure for Goliath at Great America.

Coming from someone who has seen the prints, I'm gonna say that the actual structure is going to be entirely steel. My evidence is that if it was wood you would see a lot more lateral supports around turns, but you only really see them in a few places. The steel structure makes it much more compact meaning the track can be closer together, and less clearing making it cheaper.

• Like 3