Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

Many parks have gotten rid of their Arrow flumes, both Carowinds and Dollywood removed theirs because the fiberglass flumes kept developing leaks. Carowinds had the entire fiberglass flume rhinolined(Rhinoliner used to coat pick up truck beds)in 2003, this worked for a short while; but by 2005 it was leaking again. Flume still commanded hours long lines but was replaced by Intimidator.

• Like 1

But, just wondering, what if the log ride were to be replaced with a much, much larger and wetter version, would you hate to see it go?

Thats kinda what I'm starting to think. They could build a chute the chutes/log flume/water coaster/whatever type ride in the woods. Make it bigger and better. They could then remove the log flume to make more room in that area for future expansion. They could also use it as a replacement for Congo Falls, which could be the location of the gate coaster giga. lol

• Like 4

Keep in mind RFYLCB was heavily refurbished by Hopkins Rides in 2001. The original version (Arrow Development) opened in 1968 at Coney Island.

Haven't ridden it in years so I'm not sure if it's having the same problems as the older Arrow Development flumes mentioned previously.

• Like 10

But, just wondering, what if the log ride were to be replaced with a much, much larger and wetter version, would you hate to see it go?

As long as it was being replaced by another log flume that was at least as good I'd be ok with it being removed. However I would hate for it to just be removed for anything else, even a coaster. I love log flumes and feel that we have a pretty great coaster line up currently but if either RFYLCB or WWC were removed that our water ride line up would be severely lacking. 

Also hope that if we do get a large coaster back there that it doesn't intrude too much on WWC as one of the best aspects of that ride is how it is kind of secluded int eh woods, even though other rides and areas aren't very far from it it feels like it is out int eh middle of the woods by itself. Would hate to have that ruined by having a big coaster running around across it's path.

• Like 5

They could steal a coaster from somewhere, I guess? I think Ozark Wildcat is still SBNO. ;-)

Nope.

12/15/15.

Destroyed.

Very sad, never rode it but it looked awesome :-(

Says it was built in 2003. Why was it razed so (relatively) quickly?

^
The ride itself was fine, but Celebration City, the park it was in, shut down after the 2008 season. Ozark Wildcat was thus shut down with it. When whole parks die, in most cases so do a lot of their roller coasters unless they can be re-located, which usually doesn't bode well for woodies.

• Like 4

Guys, they wouldn't demolish the log flume. Why? Because in the year 2000, Kings Island, then owned by Paramount, hired Hopkins (now owned by White Water West) to completely refurbish the log flume. Hopkins rebuilt over half of the log flume, and the ride has high reliability and popularity. When was the last time you've seen the log flume have a breakdown? I haven't seen a breakdown in 10+ years. Carowinds had their 30+ year old log flume removed because of the OC/rehab costs. KI, if they honestly wanted to remove the flumes, would never have hired Hopkins.

• Like 5

I know it is sort of hard for everyone to realize that the New Millennium is that long ago, I was born in 1999 and even then it boggles my mind!

I will hopefully be at KI this Friday, if I am, I will get some good pictures, I may even reride the train! :) 

• Like 7

I know it is sort of hard for everyone to realize that the New Millennium is that long ago, I was born in 1999 and even then it boggles my mind!

I will hopefully be at KI this Friday, if I am, I will get some good pictures, I may even reride the train! :)

True, but what I'm saying is that while Arrow Dynamics is out of business, and replacement parts need to be fabricated, Hopkins was bought out by WWW, so replacement parts are cheaper. I'm saying it is more relevant to get rid of Congo Falls, then it is to get rid of the log flume.

• Like 3