Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

Why not just call the coaster Beauty? Then KI would have Beauty and The Beast?

I doubt the mouse would be amused.

Sent from my iOS 10 device

The mouse can pound sand! :) Beauty and The Beast is a public domain fairy tale. The public domain still exists despite Disney's best efforts!
  • Like 7

So no one thinks they may re route the train? That wood looks like the wood of a railroad track.....

It's not railroad ties. Railroad ties are soaked in creosote or something similar and look black. Those appear to be standard treated lumber.

I present a contrary ad. http://m.lowes.com/pd/Pressure-Treated-Railroad-Tie-Actual-5-5-in-x-5-5-in-x-6-ft/50449508

• Surface treated for cosmetic purposes; for decorative use only

The video is "new", but it consists almost entirely of two excerpts from this video uploaded on May 16:

The introduction of the video posted by presto123 was taken from 0:29 through 0:42 in this video, and the rest of the interview was lifted directly from 3:31 to 6:18 in this video. Literally the only new things in the video posted by presto123 are one or two added photos and the shot of Don in front of the Eiffel Tower giving the URL for park's website.

• Like 3

<p>

So no one thinks they may re route the train? That wood looks like the wood of a railroad track.....

It's not railroad ties. Railroad ties are soaked in creosote or something similar and look black. Those appear to be standard treated lumber.
I present a contrary ad. http://m.lowes.com/pd/Pressure-Treated-Railroad-Tie-Actual-5-5-in-x-5-5-in-x-6-ft/50449508

• Surface treated for cosmetic purposes; for decorative use only
They call it a "Railroad Tie" but it is not. Railroad Ties are larger, I suspect that they are smaller pieces from the same tree. Also they sell them at my Lowes, they are landscape grade. However for miniature railroads, it may pass for a tie depending on the size. My miniature railroad(1/8 scale, 7.5" gauge) uses Pressure Treated 2x4 ripped in half and cut to 13.5" long. Studies have proven in my size that additional chemicals do not lengthen lifespan with a properly drained roadbed.

Edit: Ya'll have 3' narrow gauge, not 2'....

3' NG uses the same ties as standard gauge but the ties are cut shorter..

• Like 3

This is definitely [at least] two images stacked on one another. It looks like branches on front layer, rocks covered with vines on middle layer, and the forest on the bottom layer.

ki_capital-countdownbackground_rotator1.

I found this post really intriguing. Everything has been about cutting down trees and stump and sticks...... this one says nature is taking over. I think this one may actually be a clue to the name. Whats lurking in the forest could too but i think they are just referring to the coaster going up in the woods.

Top right hand corner...am I the only one who sees the white number 198, or am I just seeing things?  Plus, if you zoom in to the upper left along the top of the image, above the letter "N", it seems to show some more numbers.  Looks like a green 6 with a 4 under it.

• Like 3

With around a week to go I believe it is final speculation time.  I think we have the layout pretty close, and it appears the clearing is starting to match this layout.

I am leaning towards the ride being named after a force of nature.  Maybe Primal, Primal Fury, or even just Fury.

I believe the speculation that the entire structure will be steel but the track itself will be wood is correct.  Two examples of this type of construction are Ravine Flyer II, and White Lightning.  Using a steel structure really cuts down on maintenance costs, plus a significant amount of the structure has to be steel anyways since it appears it will have around 6 bridges.  In my mind why build any wood structure when the only significant portions of the ride which could be built with a wood structure are the lift hill, first drop, and the turn around next to the train shed.  I could see the structure being powder coated green or brown.

The big question GCI, or RMC?  I am still thinking this is a GCI, but I could totally see an RMC here.  An RMC in this location could be amazing, the ride would be able to feature multiple barrel rolls, stalls, etc.  There are a few places which the layout looks suspicious which make me lean towards RMC as well.  There are problems with this, the most obvious is safety.  Look at Diamondback when it crosses over the midway the park put up a huge net.  Anywhere the ride passes over somewhere there will be people it will need something to protect the people below.  This could mean nets or it could mean it does not go upside down over people or even never goes upside down at all.  Which if it never goes upside down it is likely an GCI.  Both companies make great rides so while I would actually prefer an RMC I would be happy with a GCI.

On a side note something interesting is that it appears Kings Island is getting the only roller coaster of the chain for 2017.  A few months ago it was announced the total capital improvements budget for 2017 would be similar to previous years at $150 million.  Where is the rest of the money going?  Feels like the chain is going to have some big expensive project which no one has seen anything about yet.  Based on the investor's presentation from earlier this year starting to think some park is getting a hotel or camp grounds.  I should point out I did not say Kings Island is getting anything beyond this ride.  I would guess Carowinds.  Although I would love to see a campground with cabins by the river in the north east corner of the property.

• Like 7

Does anyone know if you have to file building permits to clear land of trees? I don't think they've had any construction up to this point that would require additional plans being filed.  I think it is likely that final plans have now been filed with the city of Mason as they are now going into grading and footer work. I think those two items would require separate plans to be filed.

• Like 2