Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

Many hats! Thanks, guys!  I get inspiration from the guys and gals who will be presenting on Thursday night. Their Banshee intro was awesome beyond words! I can't wait to see what they do for the new 2017 attraction!

is this what you are talking about

• Like 13

This one captures the energy of a Kings Island coaster reveal, with crowd reactions:

I watched that whole video just last night. It will be an exciting night. I really doubt that they announce any world records with this coaster though. Video presentations will be neat and I love another coaster in Rivertown, so it's all good.

• Like 4

Kings Island is historically good with superlatives. The PR department will surely come up with some kind of exciting record! Either way, it's like a baby shower on steroids; exciting, but also endearing and full of "pride" for those of us for whom Kings Island is our home park  :wub:

• Like 15

Regarding the number 198 ( actually, to me it looks like 198' ) - I originally saw it and pointed it out.  But then again, that's just me...I tend to see things hidden within images.  It may not be anything...or it may be something.  I'm not trying to make a big issue out of it.  If no one else sees it, that's cool.  No big deal.  But if some of us DO, don't criticize us and tell us we're hallucinating or delusional, etc.  We're just speculating...and decoding, which is what this thread is about, right?

For those who may be interested, and you can't see it, the white numbers showing 198 are in the top right corner and seem to be blending in, as if they are "lurking" (sound familiar?).  It's not obvious at first.  Think about a CAPTCHA, which often looks like distorted numbers and letters.  Plus, don't zoom in on the photo or it will just look pixelated.  And if you look along the top of the pic, above the gap between the "N" and "A", you can see a green 6 with a green 4 beneath it.

ki_capital-countdownbackground_rotator1.

So I was looking at the drawings again. If we go by the key view, (which my be fake) the lift hill after the bend is 345ft in length from start to top of the left hill. If you use the lift angle of most older coasters of around 26.5 deg, you get a height of 172, but here is the kicker. If you go with the angle which a lot of new coasters have been using of 30 deg, then you get a 199ft height. That is using the scale of the area of work section that measures 60ft in length. So quite interesting. Terp did say we would be surprised. Do you really think they would push the 200ft woodie height again? I can't imagine they would. I just can't wait until Thursday.

Sent from my iOS 10 device

According to the scale given on the drawings for the Area of Work, extrapolated out for the entire length (3250ft), the straight section is at most, 280ft long. From that, our height would be between 140-160ft based on the incline angle. If they push the incline to 35° that would get them to 196ft.

What if the first drop bottoms out below ground level, perhaps in a tunnel?

I think $20M is a little high only 3 years after spending 24M on Banshee. Surely spending $8M on a GCI is much more responsible. That way you can spend big on a B&M giga in 2019-2020.

CP installed Valravn only 3 years after Gatekeeper.

• Like 4

I don't think GCI even does coasters that cost 20 million do they?  That's why I'm expecting this coaster to be between 10-13 million. What I'm hoping for is that GCI is shooting for their tallest coaster ever with this project.

• Like 4

Regarding the number 198 ( actually, to me it looks like 198' ) - I originally saw it and pointed it out. But then again, that's just me...I tend to see things hidden within images. It may not be anything...or it may be something. I'm not trying to make a big issue out of it. If no one else sees it, that's cool. No big deal. But if some of us DO, don't criticize us and tell us we're hallucinating or delusional, etc. We're just speculating...and decoding, which is what this thread is about, right?

For those who may be interested, and you can't see it, the white numbers showing 198 are in the top right corner and seem to be blending in, as if they are "lurking" (sound familiar?). It's not obvious at first. Think about a CAPTCHA, which often looks like distorted numbers and letters. Plus, don't zoom in on the photo or it will just look pixelated. And if you look along the top of the pic, above the gap between the "N" and "A", you can see a green 6 with a green 4 beneath it.

ki_capital-countdownbackground_rotator1.

So I was looking at the drawings again. If we go by the key view, (which my be fake) the lift hill after the bend is 345ft in length from start to top of the left hill. If you use the lift angle of most older coasters of around 26.5 deg, you get a height of 172, but here is the kicker. If you go with the angle which a lot of new coasters have been using of 30 deg, then you get a 199ft height. That is using the scale of the area of work section that measures 60ft in length. So quite interesting. Terp did say we would be surprised. Do you really think they would push the 200ft woodie height again? I can't imagine they would. I just can't wait until Thursday.

Sent from my iOS 10 device

According to the scale given on the drawings for the Area of Work, extrapolated out for the entire length (3250ft), the straight section is at most, 280ft long. From that, our height would be between 140-160ft based on the incline angle. If they push the incline to 35° that would get them to 196ft.

What if the first drop bottoms out below ground level, perhaps in a tunnel?

I think $20M is a little high only 3 years after spending 24M on Banshee. Surely spending $8M on a GCI is much more responsible. That way you can spend big on a B&M giga in 2019-2020.

This is KI not CP if CP wanted to do a coaster every year they could. Just remember where the CF head quarters is located.

I just don't see it being 198 ft high if the track is only 3400 ft long. It doesn't match up with what has been done so far. Now if they are making it I say 4000 plus feet long well yeah. But not off the plans we have seen. I'm no expert but just going of the info Givin so far.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

For me, it's not that you see the 198 or other things, it's that just by saying "it's right there by ___" doesn't help me see it. 

I want to believe you! Maybe share a side by side, with one drawing out the 198 on the teaser picture and then the next one leave blank to compare.

• Like 3

This is KI not CP if CP wanted to do a coaster every year they could. Just remember where the CF head quarters is located.

Cedar Point gets coasters more often because they make the most money in the chain, not because Cedar Fair is playing favorites.
  • Like 3

While I'm at it though, I may as well point out about the 198' thing

If it's true that 198' will be how tall our next ride is... Our record could possibly be the Tallest Wooden Roller Coaster in the World. a Title that Kings Island has had 3 times before. 

• Like 6

For me, it's not that you see the 198 or other things, it's that just by saying "it's right there by ___" doesn't help me see it. 

I want to believe you! Maybe share a side by side, with one drawing out the 198 on the teaser picture and then the next one leave blank to compare.

As long as we're matrixing, i see a snake's head and a "W". Which means nothing to me, as water moccasins don't take down trees, and the word "moccasin" in a ride's name conjurs up cute little shoes as carriages, which violates my rule of being caught dead in a giant shoe, which is why I never rode the Giant Wooden Shoe ride when it was at KI.

• Like 1

I just don't see it being 198 ft high if the track is only 3400 ft long. It doesn't match up with what has been done so far. Now if they are making it I say 4000 plus feet long well yeah. But not off the plans we have seen. I'm no expert but just going of the info Givin so far.

Where has it been revealed HOW long the coaster will be?  People are looking at an overhead layout of the coaster, but there is nothing...NOTHING...on those plans which gives any kind of indication about scale.  Everyone is simply speculating about length and height.  Top Thrill Dragster is 420' high, goes 120mph, but is only 2800' long.  I know that's a steel coaster, but don't limit your imagination.

Which is why I said if no one else sees it, no big deal.  I can try to post a side-by-side.  I'll see what I can do.

• Like 3

While I'm at it though, I may as well point out about the 198' thing

If it's true that 198' will be how tall our next ride is... Our record could possibly be the Tallest Wooden Roller Coaster in the World. a Title that Kings Island has had 3 times before. 

Yeah...I posted that a while back. I think the current record is 197. I found what looked like a number separate from the white 198 secondson saw because secondson planted 198 in my head. Now it's looking more like 192 so I am done thinking there are hidden numbers. I don't think KI staff would go that far. There have been two posts made with the numbers circled and people still can't see it, so chances are we are seeing what we want to see. haha    The lift hill could just be 98 ft as well. I'll wait for the announcement.

• Like 4

Where has it been revealed HOW long the coaster will be? People are looking at an overhead layout of the coaster, but there is nothing...NOTHING...on those plans which gives any kind of indication about scale. Everyone is simply speculating about length and height. Top Thrill Dragster is 420' high, goes 120mph, but is only 2800' long. I know that's a steel coaster, but don't limit your imagination.

Actually the plans include an exploded view of a section which was labeled area of work. This section has exact measurements. Based on this it was possible to get a scale for the layout from a top down perspective. From there you could estimate track length based on other rides. Unless this ride has steep sections of track which is unlikely based on the drawings we have a pretty good idea of a reasonable range for the length.

• Like 3

Where has it been revealed HOW long the coaster will be? People are looking at an overhead layout of the coaster, but there is nothing...NOTHING...on those plans which gives any kind of indication about scale. Everyone is simply speculating about length and height. Top Thrill Dragster is 420' high, goes 120mph, but is only 2800' long. I know that's a steel coaster, but don't limit your imagination.

Actually the plans include an exploded view of a section which was labeled area of work. This section has exact measurements. Based on this it was possible to get a scale for the layout from a top down perspective. From there you could estimate track length based on other rides. Unless this ride has steep sections of track which is unlikely based on the drawings we have a pretty good idea of a reasonable range for the length.

What was your guess for height? Some others speculated really tall based on track layout and typical lift hill angle...

• Like 2