Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

4fe5536b792830411250fd33f2e9c503.jpg

I was with a friend yesterday and we got a picture of markers along the sides of Whitewater Canyon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can you remember where this was exactly? Just after the start or towards finish?  Awesome picture.

• Like 3

It was at the start. The pic was taken from the exit. There were markers beside the lift at the end of the ride also. My guess is it's going to cross over WC in several places . I thought I got a pic of the markers around the lift but it wasn't on my phone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 4

40268ddba6.jpg

Your pic seems to jive with this layout probably being right. The area circled is where you saw the orange markers. Coaster would be crossing WWC right there by this layout. I think you're right. Coaster will cross over WWC 4 times or more probably.

• Like 9

ddcadd9dde19c8fb8320cbe79c9b1daf.jpgthis is definitely a retaining wall but I'm not sure why it is needed her seems out of place to me according to our guess the coaster doesn't cross right here. I guess we will find out on Thursday.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I think it's needed just for a stable construction road to get materials and vehicles through there.

• Like 8

Where has it been revealed HOW long the coaster will be? People are looking at an overhead layout of the coaster, but there is nothing...NOTHING...on those plans which gives any kind of indication about scale. Everyone is simply speculating about length and height. Top Thrill Dragster is 420' high, goes 120mph, but is only 2800' long. I know that's a steel coaster, but don't limit your imagination.

Actually the plans include an exploded view of a section which was labeled area of work. This section has exact measurements. Based on this it was possible to get a scale for the layout from a top down perspective. From there you could estimate track length based on other rides. Unless this ride has steep sections of track which is unlikely based on the drawings we have a pretty good idea of a reasonable range for the length.

What was your guess for height? Some others speculated really tall based on track layout and typical lift hill angle...

I'm pretty sure we had very similar results when scaling the ride based on those drawings. Here were the numbers I ended up with:

According to the scale given on the drawings for the Area of Work, extrapolated out for the entire length (3250ft), the straight section is at most, 280ft long. From that, our height would be between 140-160ft based on the incline angle. If they push the incline to 35° that would get them to 196ft.

• Like 3

^ I think your calculations are a little off.  The lift hill on Prowler is around 260 ft long, 280ft if you count the entire straight section of track and the coaster is only 102 ft tall.  Gold Striker is around the same length and is 108 ft tall.

The length measurements were made by using the measure tool on google maps.

• Like 2

I hope it is a GCI. I hear storm chaser at KK is not that great.

There were some issues with Storm Chaser. Apparently it was put together with the wrong wheels on it. They kinda ruined the ride and the whole thing was vibrating like crazy, it got sluggish and killed the airtime. Because someone apparently didn't notice it had "temporary nylon wheels" on it. Which it isn't supposed to run with. Now it's running with the CORRECT wheels. It's running much faster and that horrible roaring sound is gone. As are all the vibrations.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Storm Chaser opened with poly wheels, and went through five sets per train.  As of Storm the Kingdom, it was running nylon wheels until new sets of poly wheels could be made and shipped.  My last visit earlier this month, they had replaced one train and were installing poly wheels on the other train.  They made a huge difference.  But the nylon wheels weren't just thrown on, they were used as a substitute until more wheels came.  Why it goes through so many poly wheels, I have no idea.  Thoughts, anyone?

• Like 6

Poly is softer and gives a smoother ride but they do wear out faster.  Nylon wheels are harder and tend to cause more vibrations, also because they have less resistance the ride will run a little faster with nylon wheels.

Five sets that quickly seems excessive.  The park can get a harder polyurethane which should last longer.

• Like 8

^ I think your calculations are a little off.  The lift hill on Prowler is around 260 ft long, 280ft if you count the entire straight section of track and the coaster is only 102 ft tall.  Gold Striker is around the same length and is 108 ft tall.

My trig might be rusty, but that put the incline at about 21° on those rides. I also don't know how much faith I have in the google maps measurement tool when it comes to image overlays.

Edit: I should also point out that I was using "at most" as a benchmark to indicate "no larger than" for this ride.

• Like 3

My trig might be rusty, but that put the incline at about 21° on those rides. I also don't know how much faith I have in the google maps measurement tool when it comes to image overlays.

Edit: I should also point out that I was using "at most" as a benchmark to indicate "no larger than" for this ride.

The trig is likely fine, I did not spend the time to double check your work.  I think your guess at how steep the lift hill is wrong, we also do not know if there is a straight section leading into the lift or at the top.  20 degrees is a pretty standard angle for a short lift hill, I suspect several coasters at Kings Island have a 20 degree lift hill.

As a sanity check I went back to Google maps and checked out what I get for a measurement of the length of the lift hill on Millennium Force.  The site is reporting 320 ft.  This makes sense because we know the lift is at a 45 degree angle and it is 310 feet tall.  The track flattens out at the top and bottom of the hill adding a couple of extra feet to the length.

• Like 3

I know this is off topic, so feel free to scold me. But this is what I would do in 2018: completely gut the crypt building. Install a triotech dark ride themed to chasing bandits through a gold mine. Then, because there is some concern about having 2 dark rides where you shoot at things for points, I would resurrect the phantom theatre. Restore it back to its mid-90's glory.

• Like 11

Where has it been revealed HOW long the coaster will be? People are looking at an overhead layout of the coaster, but there is nothing...NOTHING...on those plans which gives any kind of indication about scale. Everyone is simply speculating about length and height. Top Thrill Dragster is 420' high, goes 120mph, but is only 2800' long. I know that's a steel coaster, but don't limit your imagination.

Actually the plans include an exploded view of a section which was labeled area of work. This section has exact measurements. Based on this it was possible to get a scale for the layout from a top down perspective. From there you could estimate track length based on other rides. Unless this ride has steep sections of track which is unlikely based on the drawings we have a pretty good idea of a reasonable range for the length.

Okay, obviously I've missed a section of the plans which shows any measurements.  Do you have a link to where I can see it?  If it was posted in this thread, I think I've overlooked it.

Also (I think I asked this before), what is the possibility of the first drop bottoming out in a tunnel below ground level, similar to The Beast's first drop?  Could the number I'm seeing (yes, yes, I realize few others see it) indicate drop instead of lifthill height?

• Like 2