Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

I figured someone would have posted this by now.

Greg Scheid's twitter

https://twitter.com/kigmgreg/status/757410871035301888

88ebe49749c99b870ef3684574c99edc.jpg

Sent from my iOS 10 device

Cowboy Coaster is back in the mix!
Everyone that attends the announcement will get a bed ?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

For those who may not know. This was a event the Dallas Cowboys had where they brought in under privileged kids to spent the night in Cowboys Stadium and they got to keep the bed and all the pillows and blankets. Not sure how this ties into Project 17 though.

• Like 11

Game Over!

#RMC4KI2017

Team RMC:

1. GavPenn

2. Beast Gal

Team GCI:

1)Everyone else

EVERYONE else?

I don't recall saying which team I was on. -_-

I predicted GCI but but I'll be happy either way. Everyone should just take the facts make your own judgement. I'm on team can't wait till thursday night.

• Like 11

I figured someone would have posted this by now.

Greg Scheid's twitter

https://twitter.com/kigmgreg/status/757410871035301888

88ebe49749c99b870ef3684574c99edc.jpg

Sent from my iOS 10 device

Cowboy Coaster is back in the mix!
Everyone that attends the announcement will get a bed ?

For those who may not know. This was a event the Dallas Cowboys had where they brought in under privileged kids to spent the night in Cowboys Stadium and they got to keep the bed and all the pillows and blankets. Not sure how this ties into Project 17 though.

Because a while back in the thread a user said they thought it was going to be a "Cowboy Coaster like the one at Cedar Point."

Sent from my LGL33L using Tapatalk

• Like 9

People blaming RMC and stating its 'Reliability' is questionable really don't know what they are talking about.

The only RMC to ever have reliability problems is Lightning Rod. And it's not even RMC it's the company that engineered the launch lift. Texas Giant accident also does not count. As RMC did not produce that train.

Using reliabilty as an excuse to rule RMC out is somewhat irresponsible as an "enthusiast"

Just wanted to comment on this.  I don't recall seeing anyone - myself included - saying that RMC coasters are unreliable.  I have said previously that they are relatively low-capacity and are very temperamental and/or finicky.

I've been on 6 different RMC creations thus far.  We have been nervous about getting some of the RMC credits, because they seem to be prone to downtime during the day.  The best thing anyone traveling to ride an RMC can do is to hit them first thing in the day, because it's been our experience that their rides are more reliable early in the day.  We've personally experienced downtime on New Texas Giant, Outlaw Run, Goliath and Wicked Cyclone.  My experience in those parks is - statistically speaking - not enough to confirm that they're finicky rides, but when you're visiting a park with an RMC coaster you know that risk is always lurking.

As an enthusiast, I would prefer an RMC coaster versus a GCI.  RMC coasters are more dynamic rides with much more aggressive airtime.  As a park operator, however,  I'd prefer GCI.  I've ridden all of the currently operating GCIs in the US except for Kentucky Rumbler.  I've seen Thunderhead down on a couple of occasions and Prowler once, but all of the other GCIs I've come across operated consistently and I had no problems getting on them.

GCI coasters just work.  I'm sure that Lightning Rod is a great coaster, but I don't care how awesome it is if I can't ride it!  Take a look at this quote from Dollywood's PR person about Lightning Rod:

"But we're hopeful that the ride will open again this season, have an opportunity for more families to ride it."

I added the emphasis.  Does that quote scream confidence about RMC?  The fact that RMC has had problems with each of their installations this year to varying degrees is not good.  RMC makes great rides, but calling their reliability into question right now is not without cause.

• Like 7

They've done a lot more clearing out at the back of the train house, just before the unused station. I didn't get pics yet but hopefully later today. It's not surprising because there have been orange marking stakes and painted trees in that area from nearly the beginning of the season. They're currently hard at work (and I hope staying hydrated!)

• Like 17

Personally, I'm much more excited for this Thursday's announcement than I was for 2014's. Then we knew a lot more than we do now, especially the name and manufacturer. We also knew it was going into a large, empty field pretty much. Now though, much more is still up in the air and we know it is going in the woods likely interacting with the lake and WWC, which is much more exciting location than a field.

So from what I'm thinking, this new attraction will be announced over by the "Watch For Falling Trees' signs right?

The precise location of the announcement has yet to be revealed. It likely won't be known until Thursday.

• Like 7

About the announcement location, last year I went into guest services early in the day to ask where the announcement would be (for what ended up being Tropical Plunge). They said not only that they didn't know, they wouldn't be told until shortly before the announcement. Fortunately I ran into another KIC person later in the day and found out it was over in Soak City. If not for that I may have missed it entirely.

So, on Thursday, let's try to keep the meetup thread updated with where it looks like it will be. I'm still assuming in front of the funnel cake wall.

• Like 15

I always took the hatchet clue to be more of a clue about the coaster being wood than the actual coaster name. You know......chopping down "wood". It didn't look like a tomahawk at all. The Cowboy's clue has me thinking about frontier now, but that doesn't seem to tie into something lurking in the woods clue. What if they are going to call the coaster something like Frontier Run or Wild Wild West and revitalize the train area with the cowboys and indians scenes they used to have that will be visible from the coaster. I don't know....haha. Clues seem to be all over the place.

• Like 3

As we come closer to the announcement I must say a huge thank you to everyone who posted pictures, I have only been able to get to the park a few times this year and I was thoroughly kept in the loop because of your hard work.

As long as a ride is fun then I do not have a problem with any chosen manufacturer, they all succeed in making rides that bring joy into peoples lives. Can't wait until we get the official announcement as I'm sure it will be fantastic. 

• Like 13

I always took the hatchet clue to be more of a clue about the coaster being wood than the actual coaster name. You know......chopping down "wood". It didn't look like a tomahawk at all. The Cowboy's clue has me thinking about frontier now, but that doesn't seem to tie into something lurking in the woods clue. What if they are going to call the coaster something like Frontier Run or Wild Wild West and revitalize the train area with the cowboys and indians scenes they used to have that will be visible from the coaster. I don't know....haha. Clues seem to be all over the place.

Don did an interview a few weeks ago where he handed the person who was doing the interview the ax and made a statement similar to "You will need this".  I took it to mean that it would be needed to fight back against something.  I think the theme will have something to do with an overgrowth of some kind, like fast growing vines or trees.  It somewhat fits in with the image with the vines and floating lights.  I am expecting vines likely fake hanging down at times, very possibly in tunnels or hanging down from the bridge over WWC.  I could also see twinkling lights.

• Like 6

GCI coasters just work. 

GCI isn't COMPLETELY without issues. Gwazi is SBNO.

I still think it could be either one.

I may be mistaken, but I believe it's been said on here in the past that BGT's staff simply didn't know how to properly maintain a wooden coaster. If so, that's entirely on the park staff, and not GCI's fault.

About the announcement location, last year I went into guest services early in the day to ask where the announcement would be (for what ended up being Tropical Plunge). They said not only that they didn't know, they wouldn't be told until shortly before the announcement. Fortunately I ran into another KIC person later in the day and found out it was over in Soak City. If not for that I may have missed it entirely.

So, on Thursday, let's try to keep the meetup thread updated with where it looks like it will be. I'm still assuming in front of the funnel cake wall.

I'm still baffled that I got a flyer at parking tolls advertising the location of the announcement when I pulled in at noon, and yet apparently nobody else here did. Did they not have the flyers ready before the park opened? I know for Banshee's announcement, I arrived before the gates opened, and they had the flyers advertising the announcement ready to hand out at that time. Hopefully they'll get their act together this time and have them ready before the tolls open.

• Like 3

Agree with the above statement.  After making it to the park, roughly once a week last year, most every week, I've only been 3 times.  With the new son tagging along, I figured I'd get plenty of trips on the train this season while mamma made up for missing out on rides last season while pregnant with our oldest.  I haven't been on the train once this season, magenta lizard has helped me feel like I've had a front row seat thru this whole process.  For that I owe a huge thank you.

• Like 8