What ride did KI make the biggest mistake in getting ride of

Beasttamer

12 hours ago, silver2005 said:

There's a HUGE one I forgot.

The parking lot trams.  

There are days where I really wish they had the trams there again! My 5 year old sometimes hits a wall and just can't go on any longer...luckily he doesn't weigh that much. :blink:

• Like 3

9 hours ago, KImom said:

There are days where I really wish they had the trams there again! My 5 year old sometimes hits a wall and just can't go on any longer...luckily he doesn't weigh that much. :blink:

With little boys exhaustion and boredom look the same but are completely different animals.  I bet if you told him there was ice cream (or my favorite Ding Dongs) in the car you couldn’t keep up with him.  :D    I can’t count the number of times we have gone on scout hikes or orienteering courses and they were “going to die” until we get close enough to the big play structures at CubWorld.  Then an hour later I can’t drag them to the car.  Little boys do not truely run out of energy, ever.  

Regarding the trams, I am sure they would love bring them back with a $10 upcharge.   Might as well just pay the $10 for prefered parking.   :(

• Like 3

Not to mention over the last several years, they have removed what once was the tram ways to the front gate and replaced it with a raised sidewalk.  The front entrance area is a lot nicer now then it used to be.  Remember, that at one point in time, there were ticket booths about twenty to thirty feet in front of the front gate.  Those have been gone since around the early 2000s.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2018 at 9:45 AM, Dalefan said:

On 4/16/2016 at 11:55 PM, BB1 said:

Does Boomerang Bay count? If so, yes!

If not, the Flying Eagles/Antique Cars removal was the worst mistake ever, and I still believe that the replacement is garbage in comparison.

They never got rid of Boomerang Bay. Just changed the name due to licensing reasons. It was part of Paramount's branding for the movie Crocodile Dundee. 

Trying to find old content of mine, eh? Crocodile Dundee's Boomerang Bay was the licensed name by Paramount Parks that branded the waterpark in an Australian overlay of the names and scenery. Boomerang Bay itself was a good name (from my recollection of the branding) by dropping the Paramount property of Crocodile Dundee for the Cedar Fair park as I do not believe that Boomerang Bay was a copyrighted property that was a mandated change. (I could be wrong I am going off of information I had from years ago the topic really hasn't came up that often) The point of the post is that Boomerang Bay was removed, not in terms of the waterpark slides and attractions, with exception to one, but the name branding and scenery theming. It was the intricate and immersive theming of the gift shop, and the various small nods to Australian wildlife on small cut outs or fence paintings that were cast aside for the now Soak City decor. One attraction by technicality did bite the dust, the original Crocodile Run aka Splash River. Splash River runs virtually the same course with diversions in the enterance and exits being on opposite sides of the river and the new zero depth entry that demolished one of the most secluded parts of the river. The point of the post was that I think that the Boomerang Bay waterpark branding being removed was a mistake as it had character that was beyond the generic tropical theming found at most waterparks. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Not factoring in the cost of operating and maintaining the attractions, I would say the removal of the Flying Eagles and Antique Cars was a poor choice. If for nothing more than the destruction of nice landscaping for the eyesore that is Back Lot Stunt Coaster.

• Like 3

The two biggest ones to me would be the antique cars and Phantom Theatre.

The cars had a beautifully landscaped area and was a ride that people of all ages from little kids to grandparents could have fun with. While I enjoy BLSC it isn’t a major crowd bringer itself, even at opening, and doesn’t utilize the space well or have a picturesque quality to it.

Phantom Theatre probably had bigger maintenance costs and issues, especially as it got older, but it was a fantastic ride that again everyone could enjoy. It was really well themed and unique for a regional park as not many had dark rides or at least not to that caliber. It was on par with many classic Disney dark rides and really felt like a midwestern Haunted Mansion. It’s probably the ride I honestly miss the most.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Antique Cars is one I used to ride those all the time with my parents when I was a kid, I was really sad to see them go but honestly it makes me happy now that they are bringing them back. But honestly I would have to say Phantom Theater I really wish that they would bring that back an updated version would be nice with new animatronics and references to the old ride. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Kings Island rectified the Antique Cars removal, but it's impossible to undo the damage -- there was a picaresque ride in the middle of the park that is now taken up by a noise, ugly (but fun?) roller coaster. 

But I think the biggest loss in terms of memories and aesthetics has been the removal of Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canals. They were taken out for Tomb Raider and now there's just a big ugly building sitting there. I know KI still has a (pretty fun) log flume, but KCKC was a different experience. It was fun to float up so high among the treetops. It was another fun family ride, a great way for kids to build up their courage. And it was a really nice-looking ride; it fit in nicely with the Rivertown theme. Granted, I don't know that we'd have Diamondback if KCKC was still there. But I do miss that ride. 

Also, it was obviously necessary to remove the Paramount theming from the Tower Gardens when the park was sold. But I don't feel they've replaced it with anything special. It was a smoking area -- is smoking still permitted there? I didn't get that sense this year. So, it's a gross-smelling area of the park and there's nothing special or beautiful about it. Kings Island is so renowned for its floral scenery and landscaping. Why not turn that into a walkthrough garden with beautiful flowers, waterfalls and more? A nice place for older people who aren't there for the rides or people who need a respite in the middle of the day. 

• Like 2

^Tower Gardens has been non-smoking the past couple years. It was used quite well as “India” during the Grand Carnivale. It is a nice, picturesque, calm, shaded area to walk through or sit to escape the rest of the park. And the landscaping department changes out the flowers and plants throughout the season. If you haven’t been through lately, you may be surprised to see it is nearly exactly what you would like it to be. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cdubbs727 said:

Also, it was obviously necessary to remove the Paramount theming from the Tower Gardens when the park was sold. But I don't feel they've replaced it with anything special. It was a smoking area -- is smoking still permitted there? I didn't get that sense this year. So, it's a gross-smelling area of the park and there's nothing special or beautiful about it. Kings Island is so renowned for its floral scenery and landscaping. Why not turn that into a walkthrough garden with beautiful flowers, waterfalls and more? A nice place for older people who aren't there for the rides or people who need a respite in the middle of the day. 

I second what @Magenta Lizard said.  They have really made Tower Gardens a nice place to sit and relax.  And I do!  I'd love to see replaced pavers and some classic French accents, but even as is, it is wonderful.

Phantom Theater, hands down. Arguably, it is still there in spirit, but I've never been a fan of adding the blasters. But we're at the point where I wonder if they did remove the blasters, if kids would be disappointed. 

The runner up is Kenton's Cove. It was such a great flume and the short life span of the ride they replaced it with, the ride which should've gone to Action Zone, just wasn't worth losing this classic. This paired with the initial loss of the antique cars is why I'm not so hot on the "It is old, so it must go!" school of thought. 

• Like 4