What ride did KI make the biggest mistake in getting ride of

Beasttamer

The last couple years of Kenton`s Cove Keelboat Canal, the ride was really starting to show its age. I am glad that they renovated the original log flume (that actually opened at Coney in 1968).  Keep in mind that while Tomb Raider was the direct replacement for that ride, Diamondback traverses through the area that was the final drop of this ride as well.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

For me, hands down, is the original Antique Cars.  Partly because of the ride itself, but also due to its proximity to the Eiffel Tower and International Street.  The Tower is the hub of the whole park - and has definitely earned "iconic" status - and I feel that that area around it should reflect that.  The Italian Job, and now BLSC, would have been fantastic in Action Zone, and would still fit perfectly to this day.

• Like 3

It would be interesting to see how the area would look if Paramount hadn't removed the original Antique Cars, and then Cedar Fair removed only the abandoned side and built Mystic Timbers (or a different name/theme, but still a Rivertown GCI) interwoven with the operating track. They might have even had enough clearance to both go through and cross under the covered bridge on the abandoned side.

Heck, maybe the then-clear side of the covered bridge could have been the holding brake that the Shed acts as for three-train operations without baking the riders waiting there, with the transfer after that leading into the station...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
11 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Do we consider Sol Spin the new Skylab?

That was honestly my first reaction when I saw the concept art- it’s quite similar to Skylab except for how you’re seated which I argue improves the rider’s experience. Witches Wheel at CP was fun but being in a small compartment made me feel sorta uneasy. I think a lot of GP who remember Skylab will compare it to Sol Spin, especially with where the ride is placed.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

What’s ironic is that the rides people have missed the most have started to come back: the Eagles (sort of), the Antique Cars, and now the Barrels and Sol Spin. 

I completely agree, it will be interesting to see what else could come back.  I could definitely see a reimagined Phantom Theater coming back.  As far as the other flats historically in the park, I doubt we would ever see something like Flight Commander come back and rides like The Rotor and Halley's Comet (Round-Up) aren't really around much anymore. 

Zamperla makes a version of Cuddle Up (they call theirs Demolition Derby).  While similar to the Teacups it also has elements of the Whip.  A great example of this is Alien Swirling Saucers at Disney's Hollywood Studios.  A ride like that would be great for the park and we already know how the chain likes to work with Zamperla.  Chance is still around and while they don't make the same version of Wheel of Fortune (Chance Trabant) they do make similar models.  Carowinds is installing a Trabant ride as part of their new area this year.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rivertown Rider said:

I doubt we would ever see something like Flight Commander come back

I would argue that Skyhawk at Canada's Wonderland is a "modern equivalent" of Flight Commander just as the demolition derby is the modern day cuddle up. Maybe there's hope KI will get one some day. (Most likely not but you can speculate right!?)

2000px-Skyhawk_(Canada's_Wonderland)_2016_01.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Not a ride, but I will say the fountain pedistals was probably the biggest mistake imo. While the new fountains are unique in their own way, the old fountains with the pedistals really made them look "royal" hence the name "royal fountain" while these fountains make it a show fountain like Bellagio or The Island. 

I remember my earliest posts on here back in 2013 (I can't believe it will be 10 years!). Around that time, there were discussions about potential upgrades to the three Royal Fountains in the chain as teased by then CEO Matt Ouimet. I was entirely against the idea of radically changing the layout and wanted a more laid back upgrade and restoration to our fountain instead.

Once the 2019 season rolled around, I felt that the park went above and beyond. I think the reason why I was against the idea six years prior was because I viewed the Royal Fountain as a sacred original piece in the park, but I wasn't looking at the full picture; International Street was/is more than just the fountain. The stenciling on the facades, the fresh new paint making the buildings have their own character, and yes even the smaller trees were a major upgrade. In my opinion, the restoration of the European and worldly theme of International Street outweighs the look of the Royal Fountain alone. With the introduction of the French Corner and its Parisian style food offerings in 2020, I hope the park continues on the route of making it "International" Street again.

That being said, I do miss the thicker jets and morning glory nozzles on the original Royal Fountain. There was definitely something regal and majestic about the visual of large powerful jets of water.Notes_230312_132232_fea.jpg

On the topic of rides, I'd have to say the original Antique Cars. I wasn't born yet when Ohio Overland Auto Livery (Rivertown side) was open, but Les Taxis (Coney) was my first experience driving. It was more aesthetically pleasing than Backlot Stunt Coaster/ Italian Job: Stunt Track. I like Kings Mills Antique Autos, but one thing I wish it did was drive under the overpass bridge like the original ride. 

• Like 2

On 3/12/2023 at 12:56 PM, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Not a ride, but I will say the fountain pedistals was probably the biggest mistake imo. While the new fountains are unique in their own way, the old fountains with the pedistals really made them look "royal" hence the name "royal fountain" while these fountains make it a show fountain like Bellagio or The Island. 

I’d venture the end result they came up with is neither Bellagio OR the Island.

For me personally I will have to go with Firehawk and that might be more in part due to it being a piece of GL history than anything. Not to mention it was a unique experience compared to the other coasters in the park. I realize the reasons for its demise, but I think if they were to ever bring back a flying coaster, its successor from Vekoma would be a great choice seeing as there is only one of the new models in existence across the pond.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Most removals were pretty much unavoidable in a practical sense, but I honestly don't see any reason for Phantom Theater to have gone when it did. Paramount essentially replaced the guts of the ride with an IP they owned, at the cost of a significantly cheaper and more forgettable experience. By the time CF got the park, I'm sure a lot of the hardware for the original animatronics was long gone. It's another unfortunate blight of the Paramount years, but it is what it is. And as far as the topic of Vortex's demise goes, I am honestly surprised we got to have it for as long as we did. Old girl was quite rough during most of the 2010s.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2023 at 9:19 AM, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

Paramount essentially replaced the guts of the ride with an IP they owned, at the cost of a significantly cheaper and more forgettable experience.

I argue the Scooby Doo movie from 2002 was partially to blame. Paramount took advantage of their hold over the Hanna Barbera IP and implemented that into the existing dark ride (that’s why you saw the HB versions of the characters and not the live action versions because that was Warner Brothers.) Maybe I’m wrong but it doesn’t seem like a coincidence that a Scooby Doo ride came out a year after the film was released.

Not technically a ride, but I'd like to mention what was removed in order for Diamondback to be built. IMO Diamondback removed more then it gave with that being the entire vibe of Rivertown. DBs construction is responsible for the removal of the TRTR plaza, old Beast plaza, the lake, Rivertown Mining buildings, and pretty much obliterated the aesthetics of Rivertown. I enjoy Diamondback, but I would gladly take back old Rivertown.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 4/8/2023 at 11:17 PM, SonofBaconator said:

I argue the Scooby Doo movie from 2002 was partially to blame. Paramount took advantage of their hold over the Hanna Barbera IP and implemented that into the existing dark ride (that’s why you saw the HB versions of the characters and not the live action versions because that was Warner Brothers.) Maybe I’m wrong but it doesn’t seem like a coincidence that a Scooby Doo ride came out a year after the film was released.

(Bolded for emphasis.)

For what it's worth, the dark ride appearance of Scooby-Doo was actually licensed through Sally Rides, not through Hanna-Barbera directly. That's how around the same timeframe, Six Flags Fiesta Texas and Six Flags St. Louis had very similar Scooby-Doo dark rides (though St. Louis's actually took place on a boat.)