What ride did KI make the biggest mistake in getting ride of

Beasttamer

I think Phantom Theater, all other rides that have been removed were either removed for good reason (Son of Beast), replaced with a new even better ride (Banshee, Adventure Express, & Delirium > King Cobra), have been brought back already (Flying Eagles, although not in original form unfortunately), or was a shell of it's former self due to licensing (TR:TR).

But Phantom Theater had no reason to be removed other than maintenance costs as far as I know, it was replaced with a much more inferior ride, and I don't remember the quality of the ride degrading too much over time like Boo Blasters has.

• Like 6

Does Boomerang Bay count? If so, yes!

If not, the Flying Eagles/Antique Cars removal was the worst mistake ever, and I still believe that the replacement is garbage in comparison.

• Like 9

I think Phantom Theater, all other rides that have been removed were either removed for good reason (Son of Beast), replaced with a new even better ride (Banshee, Adventure Express, & Delirium > King Cobra), have been brought back already (Flying Eagles, although not in original form unfortunately), or was a shell of it's former self due to licensing (TR:TR).

But Phantom Theater had no reason to be removed other than maintenance costs as far as I know, it was replaced with a much more inferior ride, and I don't remember the quality of the ride degrading too much over time like Boo Blasters has.

Cedar Fair is to blame for that.
  • Like 1

Cedar Fair is to blame for that.

Phantom Theater was removed by Paramount and replaced with a Scooby Doo theme. Paramount changed the ride every ten years since it first opened*. And while the Scooby Doo theme wasn't nearly as cheap as Boo Blasters it was cheap in comparison to Phantom Theater. As far as the degradation of Phantom Theater goes stuff broke on it all the time.

*Edit to clarify I mean it was changed every ten years up until the end of the Paramount era. I'm not sure if Boo Blasters lines up with that timeline or not but I don't really consider it a new ride from the old Scooby Doo one.

• Like 3

Phantom Theater by far was the worst mistake to remove. Sure Phantom was costly, and required heavy care and maintenance. But I think the main reason why it was removed was to keep with the current rides that Paramount wanted. I rode Phantom Theater in 2002, and many things on it needed desperate TLC, (like the furnace guys arm falling off that I saw one time). Instead of repairing, they went with the cheap fix of just replacing it with a ride with far less things that needed constant care. Also all the other Paramount parks were installing similar Scooby-Doo Haunted Castle rides, so I think that Kings Island just wanted to keep up and continue with the status quo. If Paramount never owned Kings Island, who knows Phantom might still be around today. I loved Scooby-Doo 's Haunted Castle as well but Phantom is my favorite and defiantly should have never left as it was far superior and much more creative. Hopefully though in a short while we will see something similar to Phantom be brought back to the severely lacking dark ride department. But I guess a dark ride is better then none at all!

MaestroJr

• Like 5

I would say the Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal. Would have been awesome if they simply could have moved it, perhaps by White Water Canyon, not that it would help it much this year. On the note of Boo Blasters I hope that it is what gets removed when/if we get a Triotech. I'd rather save the old Crypt space for another flat ride, log flume or terrain coaster.

• Like 5

I agree that Phantom Theater was the biggest loss. It was a great dark ride and could have been a classic like Haunted Mansion if still around and kept up. It was always my favorite as a kid and would ride it multiple times (usually ina  row too) every visit.

After that I'd say Tomb Raider is a very close second, I understand them losing the licensing with Paramount leaving but it was a great ride when it first opened and well themed. It wasn't even half itself when changed to Crypt. Would have been nice for them to find a way to keep it as close to what it was while changing it to a more generic adventure theme. 

The only thing I didn't liek was it being in the middle of Rivertown as I felt the theme never fit. Would have been nice if there was space by Adventure Express and could have rethemed Oktoberfest into a more adventure themed area with those two rides adn the viking ship all together. 

Still hope to see the old TR:TR/Crypt building reused for a new ride, (be it flat, dark ride, coaster, log flume) and themed to a mine shaft or something to fit in with Rivertown.

• Like 4

Phantom Theater & Action Theater

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, but as for the Phantom Theater, yes I miss it dearly, but I loved the theming when it was changed to Scooby Doo, not for the game but I just liked seeing my favorite Scooby characters, I definitely cannot say the same for Boo Blasters.  As for Action Theater it was over for me when they removed the moving seats, the Dinosaur movie (when it was there) was alright but the moving seats would of made it better. SpongeBob 3D was my favorite attraction ever played there.

• Like 5

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, TheBeast54 said:

Days of Thunder/ Action theater, but they would have to move Urgent Scare to a new building for Haunt.

Nope. The two can and did coexist. When they did, Action Theater was in the left half of the building (Blue Racer side), while Urgent Scare was and still is in the right half of the building (Red Racer side).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Eagles that KI has now, while nice, pales in comparison to the original set that were at KI.  The original set (which is now at Carowinds), had 10 tubs, versus the 8 that are on the one in Planet Snoopy.  Not to mention, the ride originally opened at Coney Island in 1940!  And it is far better than the three point challenge that now exists on the site the Scooters used to occupy.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

The Eagles that KI has now, while nice, pales in comparison to the original set that were at KI.  The original set (which is now at Carowinds), had 10 tubs, versus the 8 that are on the one in Planet Snoopy.  Not to mention, the ride originally opened at Coney Island in 1940!  And it is far better than the three point challenge that now exists on the site the Scooters used to occupy.

But they had to move them to fit in IJ:ST, duh!  /s

• Like 1