The Beast Tunnel: Who Can Hear You?

kingsislandfan1972

I thought I would be creative and make this topic and say how hard it is to hear someone talking to you while you are in one of The Beast's Tunnel's. Have you ever tried to talk to someone while in one of The Beast's Tunnels? Can you hear yourself scream? I bet you could scream a secret in the tunnel and no-one would hear you,(well except of course The Beast!). Any crazy Beast Tunnel storys? This should be pretty interesting! :lol:

maxresdefault.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/j32qd_VvoWo/maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 5

The Beast's second tunnel is always interesting as most of the sound vibrates off the walls. It scared me during one particular night ride as The Beast roared through the tunnel.

EDIT: Oh, and in the last part of the double helix, it always feels like the train is trying to be ripped off the track by being pulled in the opposite direction of the turn.

• Like 10

That's one of the things (possibly the chief thing) that makes The Beast so legendary.  No joke: My first time experiencing said tunnel, because of the "strobe light" effect of sunlight coming through the loose wall beams, and the wildness of that particular element, my brain went into that mode where it felt like being in the video for Metallica's "Enter Sandman." 

Reference:

• Like 5

I had always wondered if the helix tunnel wall was as close as it appears, or if it was just a optical illusion brought about by the speed. I never saw anyone hit it when they had their hands up, but I was too safety conscious to test it myself.

Well, Friday I accidentally discovered it really is that close. Sitting on the left side of the last row, I had my hands up, but crossed at the wrists and trying to keep them toward the right. Just before entering the tunnel, I got jostled and my arms went slightly to the left and I tagged the finger and thumb of my right hand and corner of my left wrist on the wall of the tunnel. The finger and thumb came out ok, but my wrist still looks like I took a grinder to it.

I didn't scream tho, so I don't know if anyone could have heard me or not.

• Like 10

I have always wondered the keep seated part, I know they need to announce that for kids that could slip through the lap bars and stand up with ease, but for a guy my size, standing up is impossible!  :) I did not attempt to ride The Beast on Opening Day but I will try the next time I am there, The Beast from what I have heard is more accommodative than The Racer.

And now I know about the hands, arms and legs part, thank you Magenta_Lizard for being my example in the future to definitely keep my arms down in the helix.  :D

It is almost impossible for me to hear anyone on The Beast when going through the tunnel, the tunnels especially the second one and the helix ones have an almost deafening roar to it. I still remember my first Beast ride when I was 5 years old in 2005, I will never forget that!

• Like 7

I always try to sit on the right hand side of the train because of the helix.

Everytime I sit on the left, it seems like I'm close enough to the side to be decapitated. 

I saw Magenta Lizard's scar from Friday night and it looked painful. 

• Like 6

I had always wondered if the helix tunnel wall was as close as it appears, or if it was just a optical illusion brought about by the speed. I never saw anyone hit it when they had their hands up, but I was too safety conscious to test it myself.

Well, Friday I accidentally discovered it really is that close. Sitting on the left side of the last row, I had my hands up, but crossed at the wrists and trying to keep them toward the right. Just before entering the tunnel, I got jostled and my arms went slightly to the left and I tagged the finger and thumb of my right hand and corner of my left wrist on the wall of the tunnel. The finger and thumb came out ok, but my wrist still looks like I took a grinder to it.

I didn't scream tho, so I don't know if anyone could have heard me or not.

The same thing has happened to me.  I guess the average person wasn't as tall when they built The Beast.

• Like 1

So, reading this I would think that would be something they'd want to fix, for lack of a better word.

I mean, if Mrs Lizard's wrist looks like a grinder got taken to it, I would think it could easily snap bones, leave deep gashes, or possibly worse.

I'm not one to have my hands up alot (I'm not saying I don't, I've been told I do some "goofy" stuff, whatever that means) but how many people do you see with them up? Lots. If it can be hit, even though The Beast is 30 plus years old, doesn't mean it can't happen. And with today's sue happy society........

I don't think anyone wants to see that.

Since Terp hasn't commented yet I did find this.

Ohio Revised Code 1711.551 states the following...

(A) No rider shall fail to do any of the following:

(1) Heed all written warnings and directions that require a person to meet certain conditions or to refrain from certain actions regarding an amusement ride, as determined by rule by the director of agriculture;

(2) Refrain from behaving or acting in any manner that may cause injury or contribute to injuring himself or other people while occupying an amusement ride.

(B) The director, in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code, shall adopt, and may amend and rescind, rules governing the types of warnings and directions required to be followed pursuant to this section. Rules adopted by the director determining the types of printed warnings and directions shall include specifications as to the character, size, and print size of such warnings and directions. At a minimum, the rules shall require the following:

(1) The warnings and directions prominently disclose the penalties imposed if a rider violates section 1711.551 of the Revised Code;

(2) The warnings and directions be based upon the standards of ASTM or the American national standards institute, or any other principles, tests, or standards of nationally recognized technical or scientific authorities that research the proper use of each amusement ride and the potential injuries that occur or are unique to each amusement ride if it is used improperly;

(3) The owner of the amusement ride display the warnings and directions in a public and conspicuous place on or near the ride.

I am not licensed to practice law in the State of Ohio, or any U.S. State or possession. Always follow the posted rules when riding and do not risk life or limb. The rules are in place for a reason. This is a disclaimer.

• Like 6

Riders can be seen with their hands up on the park's own website: https://www.visitkingsisland.com/rides/Thrill-Rides-12-14-11-44/The-Beast (photo panels 2-4)

To avoid any confusion, they could always explicitly add "arms down" to the lift hill spiel, a la Top Thrill Dragster. (eg. "Remain seated throughout the entire ride. Keep arms down with hands and legs inside the car at all times.")

• Like 6

I've NEVER understood people who ride coasters with their hands up. EVERY single person I ever knew who cracked or broke a rib on a coaster (usually Raven, go figure) had their hands up.

It certainly does not make for a more pleasurable ride. I always figured those who do so never got past the "Look Ma, no hands!" stage.

• Like 3

I'm a victim of peer pressure :P Like I said, I rarely even put my hands up, but in my exuberance about being in the park after all these long months, I threw caution to the wind.

I don't think it would be all that easy to actually break a bone doing what I did. Basically the tunnel wall directed my hands back off of it promptly, with the friction being the problem, but it didn't feel violent. I bruise pretty easily, but there's no bruise under the spot where I was injured, even though it's a hard bone there and took the brunt of the force. If I had been hurt worse, though, it's not like they didn't warn me.

This is what it looks like after four days of Neosporin and Band-Aids. Hopefully my spoiler tags work for those who don't want to see that kind of thing.

d8174104f8af2f5bf5ed54916fc81fa2.jpg

• Like 9

A certain irrational exuberance? (crossthreadin' sort of kind of, I dont know. :) )

If humans acted rationally, almost everything would be great, but then there is pragmatic rationality and while that is good in some cases, it can become ruthless.

I wish I could find that on ride photo of my first Beast ride, I know it is around here somewhere!

• Like 1

It certainly does not make for a more pleasurable ride. I always figured those who do so never got past the "Look Ma, no hands!" stage.

For me, having my hands up in the air is more comfortable than gripping a restraint. It's also a point of being free, relaxing and letting go. 

• Like 9

For me, having my hands up in the air is more comfortable than gripping a restraint. It's also a point of being free, relaxing and letting go. 

You said it!  I was going to comment something to that effect, but you said it much better than I was going to.

As for The Beast's tunnel - the helix tunnel is the reason I prefer riding on the left.  I love how close the tunnel wall feels...and is...going into it.  The other tunnels on the ride just make the ride great!  (As long as the lights are OFF!)  :)

• Like 4

• 9 months later...

One time when i was on it, there was a young girl of about 11 years old behind me, and she had, like most girls her age, one of those ear piercing screams that just goes through you, and that was on the open areas of the ride...when we got to the helix tunnel...it was sooooooooooooooooo loud i that one of my eardrums ruptured. LOL

• Like 2

On my second ever ride on The Beast (which was around 2009 or so) the train was going through the second tunnel when I (who rode near the front) and another rider who rode near the back of the train started screaming back and forth between each other as if we were communicating entirely via screams. It was pretty interesting. :)

And to answer the question (while taking the thread title quite literally), yes. As long as you yell or scream loud enough, the other riders will hear you in the tunnel. :)