Electronic Passes and App Usage

Haru-Kun

I am genuinely curious about this. I've only seen electronic passes mentioned a couple times on the forums here.

>Was there an official announcement regarding support for electronic passes?

>Have you used this feature yet, and do you like it?

>Is the GP aware of this feature yet? I just kinda "discovered" it in the app after renewing my gold pass at the end of last year.

I know (at least for iOS) the feature was added in September '15. So I imagine this year would be the first time many of us will use it. 

I mentioned in a different thread earlier today that since I can put a pass into Apple wallet, that means I can scan my Apple Watch any time my pass is needed (probably as close to a Disney "magic band" as we'll ever get  :lol:)

I'll be trying this out tomorrow at the park and reporting back here how it goes!

• Like 1

It seems to have been a soft roll out...not actively marketed yet, if ever. I've been able to get it to work but have had a couple issues mainly with screen brightness, etc causing the scanner to not be able to scan the QR code on my phone. I think it's there more as a "convenience" feature in case you forget your pass or for some reason you don't want to take anything but your phone into the park.

I definitely think that an RFID (same tech as MagicBands) system would work better than barcodes and QR codes for everything in terms of reliability and ease of use, though.

• Like 2

I've been using it.. Via the official Kings Island app. Used it last year too. I've had trouble using it at the new parking gate, although the attendant assured me that others have been using their phone with no issues.

I like it because I can load my entire family into my app... As can my wife. So whenever we want to pop into the park, we can... Without needing to worry about what car our passes are in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Went after work today, met my family there... They had all the passes. I arrived before 4:00 and there was no one behind me so I tried for a few minutes without success to get the app to scan my pass and open the gate. Eventually I touched the screen and manually entered the numbers from my pass... Gate opened. So that works, but I'll be moving my pass to my car so that each vehicle has a pass to use at the gate.

After I was in the park I was waiting in line and decided I would update the Kings Island app (thinking, I can't complain about the new parking gate not accepting the app if I don't have the latest app). DO NOT UPDATE THE APP.. I don't know if the gate will work or not once updated (although the bar code and pass part of the app looks the same as before... So I assume no chance)... But ever since I updated, it says "I'm not in the park" despite showing my location as in the park, and being on the park Wi-Fi, and having scanned my pass from the app when I entered the park. And if you are not in the park, it won't show you ride times.

As far as I can tell, there are no improvements to the app update, only the inability to see ride times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I've not yet been able to get Apple Watch to scan at parking or at admissions. While certainly convenient to have on the watch, pulling the pass up on the spot, and then having to worry about the screen going dark when you turn your wrist (admissions scanners are embedded on a flat surface like at the grocery store, making watch scanning nigh on impossible from having to flip your wrist down) presents logistical issues. At least for me. How convenient is *too* convenient?

I did notice that when I went to scan my physical pass at parking, it seems I was holding it too close to the scanner. I think it likes a bit of distance, once I pulled my pass away from the reader it immediately scanned.

Sent from my Pip-Boy 3000 via Tapatalk

• Like 1

Paird my pass with the official KI app on my phone and had no problems using it at all at the park yeterday.  However, I did notice the wait times were not working. The app (iPhone) kept saying visit park for wait times, when I was IN THE PARK.  I checke and the location was turned off for the app.  I turned the locations back on, and the wait times worked.  When I reopened the app to check wait times later, again...visit the park that I was already in.  Guess what, the location service was turned off ror the app on its own.  FunPix - no problems whatsoever all day long; however, the 20 or so minute delay is odd.  

• Like 1